Audi R8

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Well, I pikced up my new Audi R8 last week. This is a great car to drive and enjoy. Audi has stolen a lot of Lambo stuff to put in it at a price point below the Lambo. I have driven both and I like the Audi better for what I am looking for. The Lambo is sweet, but not a car that I would leave in the parking lot at the mall. The Audi can be as aggressive or tame as you want.

From a performance standpoint, this ain't no Ford GT. Good low end pull, great mid range pull. Best stock exhaust I have ever heard, OK not as good as a 430, but other than that it is the "goodest".

Lot's of technology at work, stability controls, traction control, suspension control and engine control. All of these can be set by the driver on the fly. so you can let the car help you or do it yourself and you get to choose what areas you want the cars help.

The interior is impeccable. The car is hand built and the interior quality and design shows it.

It surprised me that the car was rated over a lot of really great cars in recent articles because it is not the best at any one thing. But it is a great overall package and I love it.

Tungsten:thumbsup

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Congratulations. Nice car!

What color did you get? Pics?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm next on the list at my local dealer for an R8, with May delivery expected. I'm interested in your thoughts on the options and your color choice, as I have to finalize my options wanted this week.

Also curious to hear more about your driving impressions as you put some miles on it, particularly compared with the GT.

Any photos?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Enjoy !! Photos please !!

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
That is an awesome car, I want one - but the premium over list is stupid right now in Canada.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulaqtions, Don. I'm anxious to see it. At the B-J in Scottsdale, we stopped at the Audi dealer to look at one in their showroom and it was stunning...as was the asking price - $50,000 over msrp (184,000). The sales guy said that's what they get for them. :confused I know you will track it at least once...then again, and again... :cheers

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Answers

Thanks for the nice words about the car. It is a lot of fun to drive.
Now to your questions:

List price on the car was a little under $ 140,000 plus tax and tag. That is what I paid for it, no markup over the MSRP.

They are hard to get, only 17 in the US so far. Build plan was 70 per year for the US, but that might have changed. I have had it on order for a year.

I got the Daytona Grey color with matching blade and I think all of the available options.

I don't know how to post pictures, Kirby can you help?

Looks like they are going to move faster towards power upgrades. Originally they told me the V10 would come out in 09 and a spyder version in 2010. Now they seem to think the V12 Diesel will be available late 08 or early 09.
I have the V10 and the V12 on order at the top of the list so we will see.

The car is not worth 50k over sticker. There are cars out there for less money if someone really wanted one. I will have another one late this year and will sell this one.

As soon as Kirby gets some pics, we will post them. Kirby, let's hook up next week?

Don:thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Saw one on the road.

They are hard to get, only 17 in the US so far. Don:thumbsup

Wow!! That's a rare bird. Amazing that just last week I pulled right up next to a blue R8 at 8AM on Camelback Road in Phoenix while I was taking Charley to school. I thought it looked stunning. Better even in person than in the photos.

Chip

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Congrats can't wait to see the pics!!!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I went by my Audi dealer (Boardwalk Audi - Dallas) last Saturday. They had 4 on the lot. Black/Gray/Blue/White Sticker looked to be around $115k but it had a "market adjustment" of $35k. I told him I would be back in a few months... after the release of the next model.

They are a lot smaller than I thought they would be. They just look longer in the pictures I've seen but in person they don't look much longer than TT. Beautiful car tho, I love the inside and I was very comfortable getting in and out. I will certainly take another peak at them in a few months.

Congratulation on your new toy, I am sure you will enjoy it thoroughly.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Was at the Bal Harbor shops in Jan, and Audi must have been doing something, as there was a TT, S4 and an R8 all sitting up front by the vallet parking drop off, I was up on the second floor looking out in to the parking lot interesting seeing it from above, and how small it looked. Kind of like seeing a GT next to a GT 500, and how small the GT looks

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
R8

My understanding was that not many dealers signed up and paid the $ 200,000. investment to become R8 certified, so they lowered the investment numbers to try to get more dealers to participate. I looked on Auto Trader
and there are a lot of them for sale. My dealer said that most of the cars on Auto Trader are sold cars that are on the ground or on the way. Kinda shoots that 17 number in the ass though.

Audi has had events around the country where they have had the European version available for customers and press to drive. They also have a driving school at Infinion where you can go and really run hot laps for two days. I am going to look at that to see if it makes sense.

Tungsten:thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The R8 is prettier than most cars have a right to be. The fact that it is beating the cars it is pitched against in review, is ample reward for the battle it takes to find one at the moment.

It's gorgeous looking with some wonderful design elements... congratulations on owning one. I'm tempted - but would be shot by my long suffering wife.

If they put a V10 in, I'm going to marry my secretary - I don't care that she's 25, tall slim and blond. Don't care at all.

AUDI - DON'T WRECK MY MARRIAGE. :lol

Audi-R8-Design-3-lg.jpg

Audi-R8-Design-Sketch-2-lg.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Only thing I don't like about this car is that goofy "vertical"(?) PATCH WORK aft of the doors. What th' gallopin' clang WERE they thinkin'? :ack

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
'Only thing I don't like about this car is that goofy "vertical"(?) PATCH WORK aft of the doors. What th' gallopin' clang WERE they thinkin'? :ack

Probably the same guy that did the "Big Mac."

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
What th' gallopin' clang WERE they thinkin'? :ack

:lol
:lol

We gotta meet! I love your thinking and how that eventually makes its way onto paper! :lol

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Congrats on your car, this is a stunning car in sorta of a "under the radar" type. I love Audi's interiors. One sour note for me is their resale values.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Nice car Tungsten. Is it paddleshift? If so, how does it compare to the Lambo?

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Congrats! I live directly across from a Ferrari, Lambo, Maser, Audi dealer and they've had a R8 in the showroom for a month or two. Haven't had a chance to go over and take it for a spin yet.