Audi R8 V10

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Just curious what you all think about this car. Nothing else has come close to loosening my grip on my Ford GT....but this car has at least made me think about it. However, the looks are no way near as menacing as the Ford.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I recently went through the same process. I was tempted. Better daily driver and handling than the GT. Very easy to live with given its luxuries and I would drive it alot more and even in the winter. Money better spent. But the Engine sound is not as good as the gt. On youtube listen to the gt and then the R8 v10. Not even a battle. Power similar but probably not modifiable like a gt. Lets face it Ford could have swapped a pulley and done an engine flash and charged 1.5K we would have a stock 650 hp car but if they had done that how many more gts would be written off by now. Someone on this forum suggested 3,600 gts are left with an intial hp of 550.

Part of the reason I bought a gt is because it is easier to service. R8 v10 you are going to have an audi guy with no experience working on a lamborgini engine.

The curb appeal of the gt still wins even after almost 4 years after final production. It is demonstrating to have a timeless look. My wife this summer saw a 430 convertable modena ripping around the streets and commented on how unimpressive it looked give it was a ferrari. Why? Because she uses the GT as a standard of measure now. R8 look the same despite a v10 or 8. As the # of gts is decreasing the R8s will forever increase in numbers like porsches.

In the end the r8 v10 will be another porsche turbo or antiquated ferrari. Residuals are estimated at 40% of oringinal value as a plateau. The gt may have already hit bottom.
Then again that may be part of the reason to own a Gt, so when the it comes time to sell her you get most of your money back. It may be the right time for you. But before you do, don't expect the same of the R8 in 5-6 years you will be lucky to get 50% of your money. That means you will have lost 80K in 5-6 years.

Still the R8 v10 is incredible in performance, looks and daily useability. A recent reviewer said that it is the new measure by which all future supercars will be measured by.
To get the R8 v10 is the right thing to do if you have outgrown a gt. But rather than saying you have outgrown the gt you should be asking have I outgrown an impractable super sports car with incredible performance and curb appeal and you are now looking for comfort with supercar performance and are willing to loose 75K for this over 5 years. Are you willing to accept it will be nothing special in 5 years because the new R8 will have 560 hp and a more "modern" look to it and this 2010 v10 r8 will be an antiquated sports car with a price to reflect this. I thought I was done with the gt not that long ago. I got over that thank god but the temptation looms.

Alternatives I am looking at are to keep the ford gt and maybe add a used gtr or used porsche turbo, a used r8 with a v8 or maybe an s4 to fill the void which the gt fails in provide for me. Will cost less in the long run.

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I recently went through the same process. I was tempted. Better daily driver and handling than the GT. Very easy to live with given its luxuries and I would drive it alot more and even in the winter. Money better spent. But the Engine sound is not as good as the gt. On youtube listen to the gt and then the R8 v10. Not even a battle. Power similar but probably not modifiable like a gt. Lets face it Ford could have swapped a pulley and done an engine flash and charged 1.5K we would have a stock 650 hp car but if they had done that how many more gts would be written off by now. Someone on this forum suggested 3,600 gts are left with an intial hp of 550.

Part of the reason I bought a gt is because it is easier to service. R8 v10 you are going to have an audi guy with no experience working on a lamborgini engine.

The curb appeal of the gt still wins even after almost 4 years after final production. It is demonstrating to have a timeless look. My wife this summer saw a 430 convertable modena ripping around the streets and commented on how unimpressive it looked give it was a ferrari. Why? Because she uses the GT as a standard. R8 look the same despite a v10 or 8. As the # of gts is decreasing and the R8s will forever increase like a posches.

In the end the r8 v10 will be another porsche turbo or antiquated ferrari. Residuals are estimated at 40% of oringinal value as a plateau. The gt may have already hit bottom.
Then again that may be part of the reason to own a Gt, so when the it comes time to sell her you get most of your money back. It may be the right time for you. But before you do, don't expect the same of the R8 in 5-6 years you will be lucky to get 50% of your money. That means you will have lost 80K in 5-6 years.

Still the R8 v10 is incredible in performance, looks and daily useability. A recent reviewer said that it is the new measure by which all future supercars will be measured by.
To get the R8 v10 is the right thing to do if you have outgrown a gt. But rather than saying you have outgrown the gt you should be asking have I outgrown an impractable super sports car with incredible performance and curb appeal and you are now looking for comfort with supercar performance and are willing to loose 75K for this over 5 years. Are you willing to accept it will be nothing special in 5 years because the new R8 will have 560 hp and a more "modern" look to it and this 2010 v10 r8 will be an antiquated sports car with a price to reflect this. I thought I was not that long ago but the temptation still looms.

Well said. I would still like to test drive one...just for fun. Everything seems to have depreciated in this economy...but relatively speaking, our GT has done very well.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Wait 5 years and pick one up cheap. Some Playboy will buy it and get tired of it....or his sugar daddy will get him a new toy......

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Just curious what you all think about this car. Nothing else has come close to loosening my grip on my Ford GT....but this car has at least made me think about it. However, the looks are no way near as menacing as the Ford.

The GT is timeless, a man's car with no unnecessary doo-dads or electronic gizmos to dilute the driving experience. In short, the GT is everything the Audi isn't. While I don't doubt the Audi's performance credentials, to me its very uninspiring and overly complex.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the new R8 is a fantastic car. But there's a premium involved in buying one. Enough of one that I'd rather get a USED Gallardo Superleggera than even a USED V8 R8, let alone a New V10 R8. But it's still a great car, great looking, it's got a lot going for it. On the other hand, it looks an awful lot like the V8 version (Is that the Corvette's downfall?? First V10 one I saw it wasn't until the 2nd time I saw it that I found out it was a V10) if I was in the market for one, I'd rather get a used Gallardo SL, and if that's the case I think I'd just spend the extra cash and get a 2nd GT. It would have to be "in addition to" and NOT a replacement.

Would I trade my GT for one? No way.

Here's a pic a buddy of mine took of my GT and his uncles' V8 R8 (which I again say is truly a GR8 piece of machinery, but despite it's sexy shape and LOW roofline :wink, it's no GT!! :thumbsup).

Attachments

• _NGC7508-2.jpg
    _NGC7508-2.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
The GT and the R8 are totally different cars. Not even in the same sphere. R8 is a fine daily exotic to drive to work and to play. Something you can take the kid to school and go to work in. They will build 10000 of them without thinking about it and will dilute what soul the car has in the process.

The GT is timeless. It is a car without the nannies, the monitors, and the all weather capability they bring. It is a wonderful car. I have used one as a driver .. loved every second of it. Even went for Ice cream with the kid in it... drove it in the rain. But when it came time to parking it in the lot ... I shuddered. Only build X of them and then NEVER again. She can not be replaced and her soul will always be a race car. She is not a daily exotic even though she is low maintenance. She is a well thought out piece of machinery built by humble but talented craftsmen who had a passion to do something "once in a life-time". I shudder when people make a comparison between X car and the GT. How can you compare the Paris Hilton to the Mona Lisa. One is a tart ... the other is a timeless work of art.

Buy as many as you can afford ... drive them. Love them. Enjoy the life that God gave you in one. Too soon this time shall pass.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There will always be cars that either come close to or exceed the performance of the Ford. However the GT is peerless, there is the GT and then there is 'everything else'.

Here in the UK the GT represents just 0.0000897% of cars on the road (0.0048% in the USA by my calculations), but, apart from its sheer rarity - it's a classic and an icon, AND it's parked in your garage!!

The FGT V8 is the epitome of American muscle....

I could go on! :wink

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I had a V8 - Audi R8 for a few months last year. I initially got it thinking I might prefer it to the GT, and sell the GT. Instead, I traded it for a second GT. What does that say...

It was and is a very nice car. I enjoyed driving it, and it was as described above, very comfortable and practical. However, it didn't stir any emotions in me and felt quite underpowered. Being perhaps too practical, I also thought it was a time bomb in terms of upcoming depreciation. They are making lots of them, and the V8 has dropped tons in value now with the V10 out. I for one am unhappy when a car of mine drops 30% in value in 1 year. No supercar has retained its value like the GT in my opinion.

I was actually first on the list in our whole region for the V10 R8 and could have gotten one about a month ago. At $175k or so out the door, I passed. I figured I'd rather have a second GT.

This is not to say the R8 is not a great car. I think the V10 will give the earlier version the main thing it was lacking from my experience owning one for a few months. They can be found at MSRP if you look hard. I suspect in a year, you can get one with 2000 miles for $25k under MSRP if you are lucky. I also suspect that if you bought one, you would miss your GT.

Like you, I have also been thinking it might be fun to have something in addition to the GT for tooling around town. Been thinking about a used GTR (since low key), or maybe a 911 turbo

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I had a V8 - Audi R8 for a few months last year. I initially got it thinking I might prefer it to the GT, and sell the GT. Instead, I traded it for a second GT. What does that say...

It was and is a very nice car. I enjoyed driving it, and it was as described above, very comfortable and practical. However, it didn't stir any emotions in me and felt quite underpowered. Being perhaps too practical, I also thought it was a time bomb in terms of upcoming depreciation. They are making lots of them, and the V8 has dropped tons in value now with the V10 out. I for one am unhappy when a car of mine drops 30% in value in 1 year. No supercar has retained its value like the GT in my opinion.

I was actually first on the list in our whole region for the V10 R8 and could have gotten one about a month ago. At $175k or so out the door, I passed. I figured I'd rather have a second GT.

This is not to say the R8 is not a great car. I think the V10 will give the earlier version the main thing it was lacking from my experience owning one for a few months. They can be found at MSRP if you look hard. I suspect in a year, you can get one with 2000 miles for $25k under MSRP if you are lucky. I also suspect that if you bought one, you would miss your GT.

Like you, I have also been thinking it might be fun to have something in addition to the GT for tooling around town. Been thinking about a used GTR (since low key), or maybe a 911 turbo

I wonder what Jason could do with TT's on a v8 R8. There are a few decent deals out there right now on them. Jason chime in here if you wish.....

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Great thoughts guys thanks! For the most part, your views reflect my own....which is why every time I find myself considering another car...I never do. 1.5 years ago, I considered a F430. Went and test drove one...but then got in my Ford GT and drove away. One drive in my Ford after test driving the Ferrari was enough. Boy, as things look now, I would have taken a major depreciation hit on that one!

One of the things I really like about the Ford GT is its simplicity. No, it is not practical...so sometimes I think about this. But I don't need practicality in this car. That is what my M3 is about. It is practical, fun, can carry the bicycle, drive the wife on vacation, etc. I also have this strange feeling (that seems so prevalent among Ford GT owners) that I would regret selling the Ford...especially after I have done so many wonderful little things to her....hot buttons, Big Mac delete, Accufab exhaust, transaxle cooler, etc.
Anyway, the forum as usual reinforces my own ideas of our car without being supercritical or obnoxiously downgrading to another car manufacturer...kinda refreshing.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I went to C&C in Denver yesterday. Some European dude pulls in with an R8. It's dirty as hell. A little later he comes over by my GT and tries to slide by somebe standing right next to my car and uses it as a support as he puts his greasy palm on the clamshell. I had to control myself before said something to him. I doubt I go back. Wash your POS R8 you European douche.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I went to C&C in Denver yesterday. Some European dude pulls in with an R8. It's dirty as hell. A little later he comes over by my GT and tries to slide by somebe standing right next to my car and uses it as a support as he puts his greasy palm on the clamshell. I had to control myself before said something to him. I doubt I go back. Wash your POS R8 you European douche.

You need to put an NRA Lifetime member window sticker on the GT. People don't touch it after that..... and always call you "Sir" too. I wonder why? :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You need to put an NRA Lifetime member window sticker on the GT. People don't touch it after that..... and always call you "Sir" too. I wonder why? :lol

I am not sure one would get a positive result in most areas of NorCal.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I am not sure one would get a positive result in most areas of NorCal.

You mean the "Liberal quarantine zone" ? :ack

Lovely country up there.... :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You mean the "Liberal quarantine zone" ? :ack

Lovely country up there.... :cheers

I wish they could be quarantined, like in Venezuela!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
An associate of mine bought a V8 R8 recently. Beatiful interior. Exterior looks better in person than pix. That being said, V8 or even with the V10, the car just isn't as visceral as the GT. Hell, I just met a guy who's selling his Super Leg (an '08 with LOOOWWWW miles) because of a brutal divorce, and he can't get $140s for it, and the Super Leg is a visceral car and I still wouldn't take it over the GT. The R8 looks too clinical compared the the Lambo, let alone the timeless lines of the GT.
Look, I'm biased towards the GT. However, if $$ were no object, I might own and R8, especially with the V10, and I'd love to own a Super Leg, if for nothing else but the sound of the V10 at full tilt. I'd throw in a 430 as well if I could swing it. But if I was buying only one supercar to DRIVE and enjoy, it'd still be the one that's already in my garage.
Last comment. Take the GT to any Audi dealer and see the reaction on the faces of all the employees when you pull up. R8 in stock or not, they'll all ask you about the GT.:thumbsup

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
I wonder what Jason could do with TT's on a v8 R8. There are a few decent deals out there right now on them. Jason chime in here if you wish.....

I can't say on the V8 but the V10...

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/heffner_audi.htm

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
True story. I took my GT to my local Audi dealer when the R8 first came out. Many of the employees came out to look at the GT. When I expressed an interest in the R8, one of the employees in the presence of all the others asked "Why? You have this."

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Why? You have this."

That pretty much sums it up...:biggrin