Aston Martin Recall - most 2007 or newer cars

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just an FYI in case you have one. They certainly won't be the only victims of this problem...

Back in June 2013, Aston Martin recalled just under 700 vehicles over faulty throttle arms that could break without warning. Bad news, for sure – and things just got a whole lot worse.

According to
Reuters, the British luxury brand now needs to recall 17,590 vehicles due to counterfeit plastic materials being used by a Chinese sub-supplier – that's roughly 75 percent of the company's output over the same period.

Basically, here's how it boils down: with the exception of the Vanquish, Aston Martin will recall all left-hand-drive vehicles built since November 2007, and all right-hand-drive cars built since May 2012. Just as we told you in the recall notice from 2013, the accelerator arms in these cars may fracture, increasing the risk of a crash.

Shenzhen Kexiang Mould Tool Co Limited, a Chinese company that molds the accelerator pedal arms in these affected models, was using counterfeit plastics, according to Reuters. These bad plastics were supplied by Synthetic Plastic Raw Material Co Ltd, of Dongguan.

An Aston Martin spokesperson tells Reuters that there have been no reports of accidents or injuries in conjunction with this problem.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Plastic accelerator arm doesn't sound good even if it's the right plastic.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It amazes me this stuff continues in a modern (kinda) industrialized society. China needs a well developed Plaintiffs' bar. :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
It amazes me this stuff continues in a modern (kinda) industrialized society. China needs a well developed Plaintiffs' bar. :lol

Volunteer??

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Volunteer??

I'm sure many of my opponents would like me to volunteer. :lol

I have a client who works as a contractor for the State Department. He travels around the world consulting with emerging democracies on government structure, constitutions, etc. He states that one of the biggest obstacles he encounters in many of these countries is the absence of a functioning civil justice system. China has a very poor and well deserved reputation in this regard and has much work to do in order to become a nation of laws. Americans largely have no idea just how institutionally corrupt many countries are.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
China has a very poor and well deserved reputation in this regard and has much work to do in order to become a nation of laws. Americans largely have no idea just how institutionally corrupt many countries are.

Excellent! The next time we have the opportunity to sit and have a drink, let's chat about (automotive) intellectual property (in China). A topic, certainly near and dear to my heart.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Excellent! The next time we have the opportunity to sit and have a drink, let's chat about (automotive) intellectual property (in China). A topic, certainly near and dear to my heart.

Don't even get me started on that.....

If you want to have an intelligent conversation with with, don't offer me a drink. Remember Vegas. :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Don't even get me started on that.....

If you want to have an intelligent conversation with with, don't offer me a drink. Remember Vegas. :lol

Why yes, I do. My recollection was that you articulated a definitive perspective, quite vociferously. All fun! :rofl