Aston DB9 Advice

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Have always had a thing for English cars and am researching the Aston line. Anybody want to give some advice?

thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Have always had a thing for English cars and am researching the Aston line. Anybody want to give some advice?

thanks

What did you like about them? The electronics or reliability? :lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What did you like about them? The electronics or reliability? :lol

Good one Clinton ..:biggrin That goes with " Why do the Brits drink warm Beer?? ... Because Lucas makes Refrigerators !! " :rofl

Aug 25, 2006
You guys are too "funny"

IMO the present stable of Aston's are very nice and they have finally created a gal that is able to be driven on a regular basis without the need to have the tow company’s number on speed dial. Now having said this they remain IMO a boutique piece and tend to have unique character traits/oddities when compared to let’s say a Ford nonetheless they subjectively look wonderful, sound and run nice, and once inside create a very inviting place to spent windshield miles.

They are gals that IMO you purchase new with the intention of keeping or you purchase a second hand gal with “full” documentation because out of the gate the depreciation hit is significant and the secondary market aka buyers of used Aston’s is comparatively speaking; very small.

All the best with your quest

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The latest line-up of Aston models are not like the unreliable machines of yesteryear. I've had Astons from 1959, 1982 and 2006. The 1982, whilst rare, was massively unreliable!

The DB9 is a beautiful looking (and sounding) long distance GT. Very easy to drive and has the stunning Aston V12 under the hood. It's not really a 2+2 unless you're taking passengers who can remove their legs.

My own preference would be to go for the V8 Vantage which is equipped with the stiffest chassis this side of a Ford GT. The only downside is that you already have a 2 seater V8 and you would probably want something to contrast with the GT - making the DB9 an obvious choice.

So far, the DB9 has not shown any reliability problems - as suggested above, a second hand car would let someone else take the hit on depreciation -but make sure you get a warranty, big engine means big bills were something unpleasant lurking.

Very pretty car - what else can I tell you?! :biggrin

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would go with the last year of the Vanquish; i thinks its called black series or S, with ZF 5spd.

The Vanquish styling is much more classic, iconic and beautiful than the DB9 which gets the Jag-in-Drag dis.

Vanquish prices have come down massively to near $100K, the last year will be much more.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As with any "exotic", I'd want to have a SAVVY dealer within 'touching' distance "just in case". With that in mind, how far away is your nearest Aston peddler? (That could be important simply from the standpoint of getting "required" service done to maintain the warranty - that is if Aston HAS those requirements. 'Something to at least ponder anyway.)

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
FWIW - Top Gear slammed the DB9, calling out all sorts of problems. They like the new ones.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I am thinking of a second hand DB9 likely a 05-08. Just like the looks of the car and the sound of the engine. Maybe I watched too many Bond films as a kid but have always loved Aston Martins ... to me they are similar to the GT. Few, sexy, and they just hit me a certain way that makes my skin tingle.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am thinking of a second hand DB9 likely a 05-08. Just like the looks of the car and the sound of the engine. Maybe I watched too many Bond films as a kid but have always loved Aston Martins ... to me they are similar to the GT. Few, sexy, and they just hit me a certain way that makes my skin tingle.

Well then - why do you CARE what anybody else thinks! Gitchur seff one! :lol :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well then - why do you CARE what anybody else thinks! Gitchur seff one! :lol :thumbsup

Just drive it like EP would and you have never have any problems with the car. :lol

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Just drive it like EP would and you have never have any problems with the car. :lol

well I was looking for advice and known faults ..... but unlike EP I DO DRIVE MY CARS!!!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

Great words of wisdom, from EP:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Great words of wisdom, from EP:thumbsup

THANK YOU, SIR!!! :biggrin

(And NUTS to those other 2 guys...)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
THANK YOU, SIR!!! :biggrin

(And NUTS to those other 2 guys...)

:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
I would go with the last year of the Vanquish; i thinks its called black series or S, with ZF 5spd.

The Vanquish styling is much more classic, iconic and beautiful than the DB9 which gets the Jag-in-Drag dis.

Vanquish prices have come down massively to near $100K, the last year will be much more.

I too like the Vanquish styling however ever though much better when compared to days gone past not as reliable as the new line up.

Takes care

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I had a Vanquish - a very beautiful car. However a desperately fragile clutch, the DB9, being an altogether different arrangement was much more bullet proof. The Vanquish is manual whereas the DB9 is a ZF auto (with torque converter).

The DB9 also has a far better interior than the Vanquish...

Top Gear absolutely loved the DB9 and it was put in the 'sub zero' cool category with a separate fridge!!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
any known areas for the DB9 I need to be looking into during my search? I knew about the vanquish's clutch issue ... also a random electrical problem in the first two years. But so far nobody has flagged anything on the 05-current DB9's. So I am flying blind so to speak.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I know of no known issues here in the UK for the DB9. Early ones had some paint issues (watch for that, not serious but not the normal Aston mirror finish) and some brake squeal. Other than that nothing.

Aston has a lot of experience with making V12's and the DB9 (and Vanquish) power plant is terrific.

Common sense would say try to avoid a really high mileage example (you would anyway) and make sure it's just been serviced as that's quite costly.

It's a great car (largely thanks to Ford)!! :wink

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I know of no known issues here in the UK for the DB9. Early ones had some paint issues (watch for that, not serious but not the normal Aston mirror finish) and some brake squeal. Other than that nothing.

Aston has a lot of experience with making V12's and the DB9 (and Vanquish) power plant is terrific.

Common sense would say try to avoid a really high mileage example (you would anyway) and make sure it's just been serviced as that's quite costly.

It's a great car (largely thanks to Ford)!! :wink

Thanks. :thumbsup