"around the world in a ford gt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
So I've read this whole thing as it is a description of a real road trip with a GT. One thing still nags me. Where did you put luggage? Or did you just ship it UPS ahead of you? I convinced my wife that the GT will have all the creature comforts she wants but I haven't showed her the trunk yet. We want to be able to take it to Vegas for a week. Somehow the trailer from the other topic doesn't work for me (no trailer hitch will ever find its way onto my car) and the "strap on the back of the deck lid" like you used to see in the old Corvettes and MGs doesn't work either.

You'll be amazed at what you can get in the car if you pack creatively. We use a bunch of draw-string style backpacks made of thin fabric, but don't fill them too full so we can squirrel them away behind the seats, under our legs, and of course up front. There's a lot more capacity behind the seats than you might think. As Joey said, just don't put anything up front that you don't want to get very warm. Two people and a week on the road in a GT is no problem at all, even with the fire extinguisher left in on the passenger side.

The relative lack of storage space has a positive side too - it's a deterrent to buying useless souvenirs along the way! http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14684-The-perfect-car-for-shopping&highlight=

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The relative lack of storage space has a positive side too - it's a deterrent to buying useless souvenirs along the way! http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14684-The-perfect-car-for-shopping&highlight=

Oh yes, I've already figured out the advantage when it comes to shopping. Our friends in Vegas live only a few miles from the Outlet Mall shops on the south end of the strip. Now, I never understood the draw to these places - they don't have deals on first quality merchandise and the rest is seconds. But she always goes. Last time we hauled towels back home. Can't you get towels at Penny's in Longmont? Huh? Go 1600 miles to buy stuff we can get in our own back yard? I guess I don't get it. Anyway, she'll have to buy and ship it home. Plus she won't drive the car there anyway (since she won't drive a manual :) ). I do have to go to the same corner to get my coffee at McDonalds in the morning. A GT will certainly raise some ruckles there :)

Sorry to hijack the thread. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

H

HHGT

Oh yes, I've already figured out the advantage when it comes to shopping. Our friends in Vegas live only a few miles from the Outlet Mall shops on the south end of the strip. Now, I never understood the draw to these places - they don't have deals on first quality merchandise and the rest is seconds. But she always goes. Last time we hauled towels back home. Can't you get towels at Penny's in Longmont? Huh? Go 1600 miles to buy stuff we can get in our own back yard? I guess I don't get it. Anyway, she'll have to buy and ship it home. Plus she won't drive the car there anyway (since she won't drive a manual :) ). I do have to go to the same corner to get my coffee at McDonalds in the morning. A GT will certainly raise some ruckles there :)

Sorry to hijack the thread. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

I refuse to carry shopping bags. She buys what she can carry.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Or did you just ship it UPS ahead of you?

If your wife is like mine in the 'suitcase'/road trip dept, that's the only real practical solution! :lol

Caution: If wifey insists on taking a buncha makeup IN THE CAR - keep it out of the front boot! 'Gets too hot in there for that!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
GUYS, GOT THE PASSPORT! I guess I was an american citizen...................Don call me in the morning..........lets set up the flight for Nardo...., gene will inform of the route........enjoy gtjoey1314

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
GUYS, GOT THE PASSPORT! I guess I was an american citizen...................Don call me in the morning..........lets set up the flight for Nardo...., gene will inform of the route........enjoy gtjoey1314

Joey: Lock in Oct 29-30 for a trip to the Great White North. Bring lots of US$ as they don't go far in the robust Canadian economy. We can cross at the Rainbow Bridge to see the falls and grab lunch at one of the wineries near Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
You mean the real 'eggplant parmagiana'?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
You mean the real 'eggplant parmagiana'?
Yes my friend, my mom is making enough to take home after.........get there around 11......we are bringing 3... 6 foot tables.....it will be fun...gtjoey1314

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Joey: Lock in Oct 29-30 for a trip to the Great White North. Bring lots of US$ as they don't go far in the robust Canadian economy. We can cross at the Rainbow Bridge to see the falls and grab lunch at one of the wineries near Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Okay, Nardo get your ticket that you land friday....will pick you up and either late sunday or monday for the return......
We have DON white /blue GT , Chris/Joey Silver/Black gt, possible, Kurt,Gene,Gtjimmy....it will be fun, Gino might be in too......gtjoey1314

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
trip to Canada; How many days? Plan on doing an overnight in Montreal? Approximately how many (rooms and cars)? I am going up this weekend and will scout around for hotels, parking etc.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Gene, we have Don setting the agenda...we are going over the bridge at niagra, he said about 9 miles away is niagra lake? and hotels?, then we head back, Nardo has buisness obligations and every day will be a challange as it could snow anytime eyh?...always welcome your input.....Don, its in your little dual citizenship hands......gtjoey1314

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Not sure if "headed back" means retracing your route or a detour to the west to Montreal and down 87 through NE NY. If you are coming this way let me know ; would be great to meet up with you or if I can be of any assistance it would be my pleasure.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Guys, tomorrow looks beautiful for Hallockville.......so far we have don, tom w.,dino, dougie,wife and kids, mikey m.,gino,paul, kurt, its going to be fun...........anyone else......its the north fork of long island, gt's will invade model t/model a land..............enjoy gtjoey1314

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
So what day are you guys leaving and coming back? I am a possible for trip.

Stu

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Stu, oct 29th and 30th , sat and sunday..........its looking real good, get the snow chains just incase...gtjoey1314

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I am a bit confused. Is there going to be an actual trip around the world or will this be more of a documentary of numerous short trips that when combined together might add up to a trip around the world?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I am a bit confused. Is there going to be an actual trip around the world or will this be more of a documentary of numerous short trips that when combined together might add up to a trip around the world?
Hef, Its an all inclusive trip around the world..........Just takes time my friend, with, passports,overthrows of govermnents/middle east wars/england in flames/greece roiting/japan in radiation mode, its not easy my friend.......oh almost forgot ..work...
not so much but its sounds good......
The biggie is transport to europe, its ALOT of paper work....so like life ....we take it one step at a time.....
Enjoy GTJOEY1314

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Me likes thy philosophy, oh great sage. :bow

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
We had wonderful time yesterday, gtnj will have pics as the kids and adults had a great time out in wine country..........gtjoey1314
Yes , Its, njgt,us, possible, kurt,possible stu going to the border, depending on the route, lets see what happens with Gene and the rest....Don fill us in as soon as possible.....Nardo is coming friday afternoon and his flight goes back monday morning.....enjoy gtjoey1314

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I remain unconfused.

Status
Not open for further replies.