are there negatives to having seat lowered?

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
when you lower the seat by removing padding as has been described on this great forum, is there any negative... such as pain in the ass on long trips? Is the lack of padding not noticeable, or is it a case of 'look you can't have it both ways, quit whining and decide whether you want a comfortable head or a comfortable butt. thanks, bma2

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I have had the seats lowered on both my cars. Driven to Utah for the Fast Pass & Rally III events. No issues with the comfort.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Perhaps if the car is sold to someone that now might not be able to see over the dashboard . . . throw in a pillow. As for the comfort level, my longest drive with the lowered seat was ~845 miles one day. No difference.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I had mine done with Knights Autoworks, and he made a pillow that sits on the seat with the grommets that looks the same as the seat. It helps my wife to see over the dash.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
to the 3 respondees--so how tall are you gents? by the way, got to hide the response about wife driving the car---her job is to buy it for me! bma2

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I'm 6' though my upper torso is large. Look at some of my past posts and you can see that with a helmet it's way over the windshield.

Get her on that asap!! :thumbsup

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
6'4"-ish

Pete S.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
No problem with seat lowered. I love it. At 6'5" tall (34" inseam), I can wear a helmet, and improved line of sight. Great leg-room. My only seat issue, unrelated to height, is my back is a bit wide for the concave seat back, so it doesn't cup me well.

My wife would say the main problem with lowering the seat, is she can't drive it. I am likely having a seat matching cushion made so she can. Must keep wife happy if want more toys.

JLG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 24, 2008
Miami, FL
How much extra headroom did the seat lowering provide?

My helmetless head just touches the ceiling now and don't have a prayer of driving in erect position with a helmet.

It sounds like the modification is a foam removal and redo on the leather?

I assume the seat adjustments: forward and back remain functional after the mods.?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
1.5"
Yes, and top shop can do it for $200 or so
Yes
and then you can always add a Gurney bubble from the GT GUYS.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I too can not drive erect !!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Moody ,
Can you drive erect ??

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I too can not drive erect !!

I can steer while erect. That bad boy sits right on the top of the wheel.

:wink

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You guys are gross..... :frown

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I had mine lowered about 1 1/2" so that I could wear a helmet in the car. I'm only 5'11 and my hair barely rubbed against the headliner so there's no chance that I could be a good driving position with the helmet on. After the lowering, I now still need to recline the seat a little more than normal when wearing a helmet so the Gourney bubble might be in my future.
Picture below shows the seat lowered, both the front and rear bottom cushion but make sure the front cushion is not lowered too much as you need it to hold you from sliding forward in the seat.
f08708a2.jpg

Last edited:

JLG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 24, 2008
Miami, FL
Did you have your seat modification done locally?

How much did they charge for that?

Thanks for the picture. It looks great!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes, $300, Pinky's in Fresno