Anyone "ticketed" yet ...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... for no front 'plate? If so, did you contest it in some fashion, or just pay the Nazi's?

No. I haven't been stopped yet. But it's just a matter of time. There's a big PUSH on around here to ticket no front plates, no mud flaps, and not wearing one's seat belt. (And we'll all undoubtedly agree THOSE are major crime concerns worthy of an all out assault by law enforcement.)

Seat belts I'm okay with. Mud flaps(?)... ya ... okay ... they prevent (on occasion) rocks from Bubba's pickup destroying my GT's windshield. BUT, NO FRONT PLATE?????? Pahleeeze. 'Gov't money maker ONLY.

This state allows ATV's, motorcycles, certain classic cars, car dealers, farm vehicles, and cars with a "trip permit" in the rear window to drive down the road all day long w/o a front plate. So, why must the REST of us? (Those "trip permits" even Superman couldn't read unless the car were parked and he could walk [fly?] over and get a closeup.)

'Looks like an "equal protection" case to me if there ever was one. 'Any lawyers here on The Forum?

:cheers

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So they can give you a ticket with photo radar!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So they can give you a ticket with photo radar!

Uh huh. So, why isn't that an "issue" with motorcycles, et al? It SHOULD be. Why do THEY get a free pass?

Several states, including ARIDzona, don't even require a front 'plate. So, if it were THAT bigga deal as a law enforcement tool, wouldn't you think ALL states would require 'em?

Simple math should make the case that the state could cut their license plate costs in 1/2 just by issuing ONE 'plate insteada two. So, I guess the fortune made in fines must far exceed the money they'd save going the other route.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Sounds like your local police department is having a fundraiser.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
That's how they are going to catch you. They know your pockets are not empty, and they want some some of your pocket fillers.:wink There is a nationwide APB out for you, and they know you have a GT, so enforcing the no front plate thing will increase their chances of nabbing you. :biggrin

soltic

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I took a friend of the family for a ride North of our cottage - about 2 mins into the drive we passed a sitting cop, sure enough he started up after we passed him, trailed us for about 5 mins then turned the cherries on.

I was sure it was over the lack of a front plate - we weren't speeding.

When he came to the car he apologized for pulling us over (!) stating that he just had to know what type of car it was..... :rofl

Then he asked if it was fast to which I replied it was still being broken in. He said he loved the car then said he was going to do a u-turn & go back to where he was positioned so we could "go on & do our thing".

Pulled off, watched, & sure enough he did his u-turn... then I "did my thing" big time... :thumbsup

-Rod

M

Mark O

They know your pockets are not empty

And since you sold the GT, we all know your pockets are pretty full again. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sounds like your local police department is having a fundraiser.

Yup. That is exactly what's going on, jj.

Although I have to admit, the boys in blue were asleep at the switch in that department 2 wks ago when the wife & I had the GT out, 'cause we went by 4 or 5 "locals" during that ride and none U-turned after us. In addition, we passed a "stater" too. So, like Rod, I did luck out that trip.

And, Roc? I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!:lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
This seems an innocent solution on mine....

Photo-040.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ya. Butcha had to drill HOLES in your car, didn't ya? (And remember, Neil, our plates over here are about twice as TALL as your's too. So, there's also the "ugly" factor.)

I simply refuse to drill holes in my car. Period. If necessary, I'll simply slap a "trip permit" on the rear window and drive it that way. And, come time to renew my 'plates - I won't bother.

If Ford had designed/provided/integrated attachment holes in the car as a production feature, it'd be a different story. But, they didn't.

(And, by the way - you have a flyin' BUG of some kind stuck in the upper left hand corner of yur radiator in that pic!!! Or, is that some kind of gov't mandated 'gismatchi' like that laser beam you had to attach in the rear? :biggrin )

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Do you honestly think I'd approach my baby with a drill? Eeeeek! No sir, this is stuck on. I wouldn't drill a hole in my GT - you're giving me the shivers just thinking about such a dreadful thing! :biggrin

Our UK plates are also huge -so this is about (thinks) .... 40% of the legal size. However it takes advantage of a legal loophole of sorts. By NOT displaying a number you could get pulled and something nasty happen (maybe), by having a slightly smaller plate, you can get pulled but it's not endorsable on the licence.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Eeeeek! No sir, this is stuck on. :biggrin

/QUOTE]

Using WHAT brand tape, Neil??????

How does the tape manage to 'hold' the 'plate 'at speed'???:eek

And, come time to p-r-y the tape off - will the paint be in danger of damage by the 'prying' process (or from the chemical used to detach it if THAT'S the method of removal)?

Thanks ~~~~~~

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I have looked for years for someone to scan my plate and make a decal replica. We could stick it on the front ahead of the radiator exit and we all are happy. I know this is quasi legal, but it would be better than nothing or drilling which aint gonna happen.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have looked for years for someone to scan my plate and make a decal replica. We could stick it on the front ahead of the radiator exit and we all are happy. I know this is quasi legal, but it would be better than nothing or drilling which aint gonna happen.

That wouldn't fly in this state. Neither does putting a photo copy of the plate in the passenger side of the windshield ... and a host of OTHER alternatives. 'All illegal.

This state's attitude really IS -you WILL drill holes in your car if that's what it takes.

'Just stupid ~~~~~~~

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
EP, I'm not sure what type of tape is used under the GT to hold the mount - I'd imagine the normal weapons grade double sided stuff. I've travelled at 2 leptons in the GT and nothing's come unstuck....

As to taking the mount off, I doubt I'd ever want to, if the number needs to be changed, then that it just stuck onto the mount and can be peeled off by heating it with a hair dryer.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
That wouldn't fly in this state. Neither does putting a photo copy of the plate in the passenger side of the windshield ... and a host of OTHER alternatives. 'All illegal.

This state's attitude really IS -you WILL drill holes in your car if that's what it takes.

'Just stupid ~~~~~~~

Agreed. Here is southern CA, likely the same deal. Either do it the right way, or don't do it all. Since shooting for the gray area here is more likely to attract the wrong kind of attention.

So, I choose to display my GT the way it was designed: plated in the rear, plateless up front...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I've found that the no plate in front citation is usually and addition to what you were really pulled over for. If the officer doesn't like something about you, your attitude or about your car, plates and window tinting are the first two places they go. The exception is at LAX. They will ticket you everytime they see it as well as cruse the short and long term parking lots looking for this specific ticket to write.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
SteveA-

I totally agree. My friends dad is a cop in Buena Park. He was telling me that 99% of the time a cop will only pull you over if your doing something wrong in the first place. And, your attitude is what will make his pen start or stop writing.

Now, motorcycle cops are another story. They'll pull you over for ANYTHING. I got pulled over two seperate times in my old truck (lifted Nissan Titan) for front window tint and no mud flaps. Both times I was sitting at the stop light and the bike cops rode up next to me. As soon as the light turned green their lights turned red. Now that I think about it...I didn't even get a ticket for not having a front license plate haha. I got every other ticket possible though. One of them even tried telling me that my front suspension (custom off-road setup) needed to be registered with the DMV because it was so highly modified.

Long story short...Stay away from bike cops and you'll be fine.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I've found that the no plate in front citation is usually and addition to what you were really pulled over for. If the officer doesn't like something about you, your attitude or about your car...

Ordinarially I'd agree with that (except as it applies here locally to one specific "motor officer" who thinks he's "THE MAN" and NEVER shudda been hired as a cop in the 1st place), but, now it's just a money grab around here as jj1987 (I believe correctly) suggested. It's been dictated "from the top" acc'ding to the local media.

('You remember "tuff" acting, strutting, self aggrandizing, pompous, dipstick town cop on the T.V. show "Happy Day's"? The cop who was just soooooo full of his jackass self? Well, I'm convinced we have his SON on traffic patrol here in town. 'Exactly the same personality. What a grade "A" jerk.:thumbsdow )

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
This is something that we make for the Nissan/Infiniti sports car guys. It uses the factory tow hook hole and simply screws right in. It's basically a threaded aluminum shaft with a mounting bracket that you can attach the license plate to. There is a similar box on the front of the GT that we could use to mount this. How many people would be interested in this?

Attachments

• 105355.jpg
    105355.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited: