Anyone own a Lotus?

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I am also in agreement with the posts on this topic...

In addition to the GT, I had two 05 Elises. This fall I got a good buy on an 06 Exige so one of the Elises was sold. Hated to do it, but had parking space issues. Both the Elise and the Exige are a blast to drive. I have even used them as a daily driver. One you learn how, they're not to bad to get into. You simply fall in. Getting out is a bit tougher, but no more of an issue than avoiding hitting my head on the GT door when I park in the garage. Drove one of the Elises from Las Vegas to home. Got 40 mpg doing 70 miles per hour. Both the GT and the Lotuses are fun to drive, just in different ways. I've had no build problems with either the GT or the Lotuses, so it seems that both have been well constructed.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Got My Lotus Today

Just got my 2007 Lotus Exige S (Storm Titanium) today! Fortunately, we have had great weather in the great white north, so I was able to drive it quite a bit today. What a blast!!!!

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Picture of the New Exige

I hope the picture attaches correctly. Taken today.

Attachments

• IMGP0974.jpg
    IMGP0974.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 103

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Congrats on the Exige. Enjoy it ..... nothing handles like a Lotus.:thumbsup

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I hope the picture attaches correctly. Taken today.

Way to go Tim! Your car is identical to Manny's. Weren't the first 40 all painted that color? You are not going to believe how she handles on the track! :thumbsup :thumbsup Congratulations. :banana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Tim- enjoy it to the max!
What a beautiful car. (not that I'm prejudiced or anything)
Today, I drove mine to the FL Keys for some break-in miles. Just 400 more miles and I can unleash this little brute.

Manny

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
For any of you Lotus guys who have not done it .... take the car up to the "dragon". Its an incredible drive in a elise/exige. Really make you love the way the car handles.

Manny that would be a great break in drive for you out of south florida.

enjoy em.

Lotus the econo exotic .... or as my accountant says ..." A Lotus is proof that gravity and depreciation are linked. So there is no reason not to drive em.

#6-GULFgt

Aug 22, 2006
Do any of you know how many exige S are going to be made and how many will be in the us "thanks":biggrin

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Do any of you know how many exige S are going to be made and how many will be in the us "thanks":biggrin

what Lotus says and what Lotus does are always different. I have an article from Car and Driver and then another from Road and Track that both say the "Exige S is not for sale" in the US and never will be ... less than a month later in Dallas at the LOG event they placed the S on sale.

Classic Lotus ..... I had just purchased my Elise a few days earlier. Basically due to the fact that the Elise was a better performer on the track than the Exige due to lack of power. Needless to say when I saw my car loose 5k in value in 30 min. I was not happy with the company. Love the car ...

Lotus is a compnay that suffers from not enough cash flow. SO like most short companies they do whatever it takes to make a buck. Not thier fault they just need a bigger company than Proton as a owner ... funder.

Lotus engineering is the money maker ... Lotus cars .... well .... thier a boutique.

Never count on the number and just enjoy the car .... I do not think a Lotus is an investor car.

But, then again ... I'm a driver (car nut) that is trying to make wise buys in his forming collection. one to drive, one to race, one to look at ... that seems to be my developing pattern with the GT. We'll see where we are in six months. I know that I'll own atleast two... GTs that is.

The elise ... the only way that one is leaving is if its totalled. too fun to drive, and its safer (marginally.... you look up at miata's when you pass one .... really you do) than a motorcycle.

Steve

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for the comliments guys. Talk about handling!!!!! I was told by my dealer that I have the first '07 Exige S registered in Ohio. I asked how many would be built, and he indicated that Lotus has sent mixed signals on their answer. Originally, about 200, but they are waiting to see how demand stacks up, how cash flow goes, etc. etc. So the short answer is they don't know.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for the comliments guys. Talk about handling!!!!! I was told by my dealer that I have the first '07 Exige S registered in Ohio. I asked how many would be built, and he indicated that Lotus has sent mixed signals on their answer. Originally, about 200, but they are waiting to see how demand stacks up, how cash flow goes, etc. etc. So the short answer is they don't know.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
My Elise w/ the Forcedfed 275 kit will go on the dyno today but I won't get it back until next week when they can tidy up the wiring harness. Can't wait... :willy
Comparing to the GT, both are awesome cars, the GT is a lot more powerful but I can't take it anywhere, so the Lotus gets more seat time. But if I can have only one sports car, I'd still keep the GT.

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Lotus Sport

I love my 2006 Lotus Sport. Mine is #8 of the 50 they built already set up for racing. I drive it most days and at 61 years old i find it easy to get into with a little practice. It has the most agile handling feel of anything I have ever driven or owned. It is much better than the ferrari 360 and even my
F430 is only close to it in handling.

I was at the Sebring race track last week. The subperb handling alone can not provide enough advantage to compete with the hight hP cars like Corvette or Porsche. We had a F430 Ferrari and a Ford GT at the track. They are rocket ships.

lee

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Just got my 2007 Lotus Exige S (Storm Titanium) today! Fortunately, we have had great weather in the great white north, so I was able to drive it quite a bit today. What a blast!!!!

Beautiful pic. Congratulations. Great color too. What a awesome driver that must be.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was at the Sebring race track last week. The subperb handling alone can not provide enough advantage to compete with the hight hP cars like Corvette or Porsche. We had a F430 Ferrari and a Ford GT at the track. They are rocket ships.

lee

Sebring definitely favors high horsepower cars. Get your Elise on a tighter (and smoother) course like Homestead and you'll fare much better.

Do you live in Florida?

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Lotus Sport

Sebring definitely favors high horsepower cars. Get your Elise on a tighter (and smoother) course like Homestead and you'll fare much better.

Do you live in Florida?

Yes I live in Florida. Central Florida near Leesburg.

Sebring was my first exposure to a track event. i was impressed how much the Lotus instructor got out of his Lotus. I do not think anyone could have done better. I was impresssed. I saw 140 mph in some straigth runs. I think you are right there are better courses that would make the Lotus shine!

There was also a Ford GT but they were being careful just like I would be. There was an F430 set up for racing, roll bar no interior etc. i think this guy was professional or close to it.

If there is a Ford GT group depending how far we have to travel I would do some things. I hang around the Lotus guys. I also am involved with the Ferrari club. THe Ferrari guys do lunch once a month.

Interesting side note Bob who sets up the Concourse at Winter park or Cavalino always asks me to bring the FGT over anything else. I guess they are that unique. He says people like to see it. :banana

Maybe we will see each other at an event.

Lee