Anyone On Here Buying The ZR1 Corvette?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I agree that the Z06 is a more focused car, with less gimmicky styling, lighter weight, and a bigger, higher revving motor to boot.

But the real world driving prowess that the Magnetic select ride control gives the Vette shouldn't be underestimated. I have an '04 coupe with this expensive and somewhat rare option, and it totally transforms the ride of the car. I'm sure this setup, updated for the ZR1, will make the car a worthwhile update for the majority of Z06 owners who don't track their cars.

Justin@VMP

Dec 9, 2005
The current Z06 looks good, they uglied this one up a little.

I would buy one if the price was not through the roof, 70k is about my budget for now, and the GT500 is not payed off yet.

Regardless, the powerplant is bad ass. Based on the quoted boost #s, displacement, and known capabilities of that blower I believe it will make 600RWHP minimum in stock form, and get close to 700RWHP with computer tuning alone. With a smaller blower pulley, and larger crank pulley, I think 700-800RWHP on pump gas will be no problem. Not bad for a few bolt-ons.

My gt500 has the same 2.3L blower, the new TVS from eaton.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
700RWHP with computer tuning alone. With a smaller blower pulley, and larger crank pulley, I think 700-800RWHP on pump gas will be no problem. Not bad for a few bolt-ons.

My gt500 has the same 2.3L blower, the new TVS from eaton.

How much power/boost are you making on your GT500? Do you really think a little 2.3L blower can flow 800 rwhp worth of air, when you need a 3.3L Whipple to even make 750 rwhp on pump gas in a FGT?

Justin@VMP

Dec 9, 2005
How much power/boost are you making on your GT500? Do you really think a little 2.3L blower can flow 800 rwhp worth of air, when you need a 3.3L Whipple to even make 750 rwhp on pump gas in a FGT?

I am making 600rwhp with stock tvs pulley. With the TB, upper pulley, and crank pulley high 600s has already been achieved.

The KBs are making 700-800rwhp with 2.8L, so its not necessarily about blower displacement.

The TVS has a wider efficiency range than some twin screws. When you put it on a big cube motor it does very well, Dutweiler has already made similar power on an engine dyno with one. The new ZR1 is 50 cubes larger than the FGT/GT500 engine.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I'd like to see Brembo make us some brakes like the ZR1's !!! Maybe the Ferrari guys will be buying GM replacements !!!

They already buy the GM shocks

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
The TVS has a wider efficiency range than some twin screws.

Please state your source on this. Do you have access to real A/B comparisons of both blowers on the same engine?

Which twin screw is less efficient than a TVS?

Justin@VMP

Dec 9, 2005
Never said less, just said wider.

There is no way to do a direct engine comparison, because all the twin screws are much larger than the TVS. The smallest blower you can get for a GT500 is a 2.8L. I will be comparing boost levels shortly though, and I think the results will be interesting.

It's really a moot point for a FGT, because you already have a 2.3L lysholm and there is no TVS kit for it, and there will probably never be.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Never said less, just said wider.

OK, again, where is this info coming from? Please define "wider efficiency range."

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
OK, again, where is this info coming from? Please define "wider efficiency range."

Not sure if this is what you guys are looking for, but here is what Motor Trend says about the new 4 lobe unit on the new ZR1;

"They started with turbochargers for efficiency's sake, but switched to supercharging when Eaton unveiled its latest four-lobe Roots-type blower. This new unit boasts thermal efficiency of nearly 76 percent (up from some 60 in the best three-lobe blowers) -- near turbo efficiency with no lag."

CohibaKid

Dec 22, 2007
A Retread!

Big Deal. Its a retread with more horsepower and better shocks. I'd rather have a Viper. But, I've got the best,,, a Ford GT supercar.

Justin@VMP

Dec 9, 2005
Here are some initial results from my GT500 with the 2.3L TVS running 18-19psi:

tvsallout.jpg

I'm making a lot more TQ down low than the GT500s with twin screws that are pullied for the same peak boost level.

I've got a GT500 twin screw car coming in later this week that I'll be able to get some additional data from.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here are some initial results from my GT500 with the 2.3L TVS running 18-19psi

Wow. That's impressive. 700rwhp on a GT500 from a 2.3L blower pushing 18-19 psi.

Interesting.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Wow. That's impressive. 700rwhp on a GT500 from a 2.3L blower pushing 18-19 psi.

But that's on race fuel. 660 rwhp on 93 octane ain't too shabby either....bodes well for modding the ZR1.