Anyone know how to disable the auto lock system?

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I got a call today about the auto lock system on the '05 GTs from a friend who just bought it. No manual with the car. I have an '06, and could not find a reference to the following problem in my manual, or on a thread on the Forum.

Apparently on an '05, if the engine is running and you get out and close the door, the doors automatically lock, and without a remote to unlock it, it becomes a real problem requiring Ford Roadside assistance.

The question then is can this feature be disabled on an '05, and if so, how? He has done this more than once during the winter when he goes out to run the car so the battery stays sufficiently charged.

Apparently, the '06 does not have this same set up as I have closed the doors on my GT while it is running and the doors dont automatically lock.

Aug 25, 2006
I do not know for certain however I suspect that with the VCM aka the Ford testing and programming tool this can be changed.

I have a VCM however have never researched this option/feature.

Takes care

Shadowman

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I don't think my 2005 does that.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I don't think my 2005 does that.

ditto

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA

MG 42

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2006
He may be inadvertently pressing the door lock button while getting out.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I would bet there is a way to enable this (autolock). seems like that's what has happened. I would bet the autolock is off from the factory.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Page 29 of '05 Owner's manual:
1. Turn the key to position 3 (on) with both doors closed
2. Press the power doorlock unlock control 3 times
3. Turn the key from position 3 to position 1
4. Press the power doorlock unlock control 3 times
5. Turn the key back to position 3. The horn will chirp.
6. Press the unlock control then press the lock control. The horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or twice (one short, one long) if autolock was activated
7. Turn the ignition to position 1. The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.

This must all be accomplished in 30 seconds. Frank

Aug 25, 2006
Now barely back home and you are already in the thick of it

This was great information

Thank you

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I got a call today about the auto lock system on the '05 GTs from a friend who just bought it. No manual with the car. I have an '06, and could not find a reference to the following problem in my manual, or on a thread on the Forum.

Apparently on an '05, if the engine is running and you get out and close the door, the doors automatically lock, and without a remote to unlock it, it becomes a real problem requiring Ford Roadside assistance.

The question then is can this feature be disabled on an '05, and if so, how? He has done this more than once during the winter when he goes out to run the car so the battery stays sufficiently charged.

Apparently, the '06 does not have this same set up as I have closed the doors on my GT while it is running and the doors dont automatically lock.

I never have trusted any automatic 'lock system. Therefore, when driving a car so equipped, if I have occasion to get out of it while the engine's running, I always leave the driver's window rolled down a sufficient amount so as to be able to reach the 'lever inside...just incase.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I will give you 3-1 odds it takes more than one try!!:biggrin

Page 29 of '05 Owner's manual:
1. Turn the key to position 3 (on) with both doors closed
2. Press the power doorlock unlock control 3 times
3. Turn the key from position 3 to position 1
4. Press the power doorlock unlock control 3 times
5. Turn the key back to position 3. The horn will chirp.
6. Press the unlock control then press the lock control. The horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or twice (one short, one long) if autolock was activated
7. Turn the ignition to position 1. The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.

This must all be accomplished in 30 seconds. Frank

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I got a call today about the auto lock system on the '05 GTs from a friend who just bought it. No manual with the car....

I believe Torrie has extra manuals. Your friend would be wise to get one. Also the shop and wiring manuals from Helm (or Torrie).

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
You guys are awesome. Heaps of thanks to the good Dr for quoting the '05 manual as that is the solution. Looking at the times of some of the postings is even more amazing. The hours some of you guys keep!!

Thanks. EP had a great idea about leaving a window open and I suggested it to friend but he is my age and at times has a "senior moment" until the doors are already locked with the windows up and both remotes in the car.......he does get a good charge on the battery though if he started with a full tank of gas.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The hours some of you guys keep!!

Frank just got back from a eurotrip - ie. can't sleep for two days!