Anyone know how much the stock exhaust weighs (muffler)?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Looking at the exhaust on the GT, I can't help but think that the muffler box design resembles that found on Lamborghini Diablos and Murcis. Interestingly, on Lambo's these things weigh like 50lbs. While the hp gain on a GT after replacing the mufflers w/ a cat-back exhaust appears to be nothing, there sure is something said for taking off 50lbs of weight in the rear. I don't know if Ford used heavy gauge steel for it like Lamborghini, but it would be interesting to see if someone who removed the muffler box actually weighed it after it was removed.
Anyone?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Do a search. I know someone on here (maybe analogdesigner?) weighed the difference between the two, and I think it was around 30-40 pounds.

Changing exhaust, removing the Mac stereo w/sub, and going with the lightweight wheels reduces some pretty decent weight.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The difference is 32lbs.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
does that include the cats. I know my stock cats weighed a ton. The cat delete pipes are very light.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
thata without any header pipes. There cat/noncat lies another weight reduction. And performance increase. But also emission increase....

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The stock muffler with brackets weighs 60.5 pounds. I know this because I am next to one right now and we just weighed it. We are installing a new exhaust system, that will soon be offered Ford, made by Bob Ida of IDAutomotive/Perfectpower of Morganville, NJ. www.idautomotive.com.

Bob's new exhaust weighs just 10 pounds including brackets. It is an exhaust system not a muffler and keeps the cats. Polished stainless, 3" with these additional specs:
10 to 20+ hp over stock, coolant temp decrease of 20 degrees, polished brackets, vinatge GT40 sound. This new exhaust was done to reduce operating temps for those who use their cars normally as well as tracking their cars. Mine will be the second car done after the prototype.

Dave

Last edited:

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Dave,

I'd love to see some pics. Coincidently, yesterday I installed Ford's Borla muffler. I believe it was FloridaChris who suggested having it polished. Thanks, I'm glad I did. It looks great!

Dave, I'm very interested in yours. Should I have waited?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
AMER SPD said:
Dave,

I'd love to see some pics. Coincidently, yesterday I installed Ford's Borla muffler. I believe it was FloridaChris who suggested having it polished. Thanks, I'm glad I did. It looks great!

Dave, I'm very interested in yours. Should I have waited?

I guess it depends upon what one wants. The Borla has sound but based on what SVT told me little if any power gain., This option has sound and performance gains based on the dyno graphs I have seen. Rememebr it eliminates the muffler and keeps the cats. The big by product is the reduction of tempos int he engine compartment and engine it self.

This link has more discussion: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981

Give Bob Ida a call and ask him for the details.

Dave