Anyone insist on Watching their GT get worked on?

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Hello Gents,

I just want a little advice ahead of my pending repacement of half shaft bolts.
I am in Canada and I am scared to death of leaving my car with the local shop to have the work done.

Part of my paranoia stems from the fact that I just had a gasket changed on my Ducati and the local shop chipped my frame, destroyed my rad while trying to remove it, and had the top of my engine apart and laying on the work bench while they completed renovations (unbenounced to me!)

Do you think that it is alright for me to insist on watchig the work get performed on my car?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I think it's OK. But I believe most of these big dealers cannot allow customers beyond a certain line because of liability insurance.

So it might be difficult for you to actually be there when they work on the car.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
You Bet

Do you think that it is alright for me to insist on watchig the work get performed on my car?

YOU BET IT IS !!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
absa-dadgum-lootly!!!!!!!

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
911teo is right. Most Ford dealers are not insured for customers in the shop. Even dealers that sell and work on alot of GTs. Most dealer owners are scared of someone slipping on something or getting hurt in the shop. I get do get asked to be able to watch or just come into the a few time to see how the work is going or see how I am protecting there cars. I Completly understand it and do the best I can to let every owner that wants to to stay in the shop as long as posable. I think some dealer owners understand also and will try to "over look" a GT customer in the shop.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
911teo is right. Most Ford dealers are not insured for customers in the shop. Even dealers that sell and work on alot of GTs. Most dealer owners are scared of someone slipping on something or getting hurt in the shop. I get do get asked to be able to watch or just come into the a few time to see how the work is going or see how I am protecting there cars. I Completly understand it and do the best I can to let every owner that wants to to stay in the shop as long as posable. I think some dealer owners understand also and will try to "over look" a GT customer in the shop.

I think we pbly all realize that's the case "legally", but, as you so accurately pointed out, a dealer who understands the concerns of GT owners will do just what YOU try to do, sir, "over look" a GT owner in his shop. After all, 99.999% of GT owners aren't sue happy opportunists anyway, so a dealer really doesn't have much - if anything at all - to worry about in that dept.

'Just MHO. :cheers :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Rob,

I completely understand your concern. Another option is to do the upgrade yourself - or to find a mechanic to come do it at your home. It is NOT that hard of a job. About the only specialized tool you need is a good 3/8" Torque wrench. I use the Snap-on digital ones (a REALLY sweet tool) but Sears also now has a Craftsman digital wrench that can get the job done.

It's a little easier to have the rear tires in the air so that they can be easily rotated - but even this is not a requirement if you have enough room to roll the cars fore and aft about 6' or so on level ground. I did both of George's cars this way a few weeks ago. A little more time consuming, but no problem. (Hint: You can shift the car in and out of gear from the lever on the transaxle.)

Anyway, maybe you can ask one of the mechanics to come to your house as an alternative.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Local Ford dealer would not let me watch them replace something as simple as a door sill that was covered under warranty. I walked away, and that dealer will never see my car again. Before I left most of the people came out of the dealership, some took photos. My car caused quite a commotion. Seems like the dealership made a mistake just from a P.R. perspective, and wasn't that part of the reason for building the car, big P.R. for Ford?

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
Rob
Where were you going to get it done? I know Woodridge has done a few already.
Mark

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I watch myself everytime I take a wrench to it!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Anyway, maybe you can ask one of the mechanics to come to your house as an alternative."

I actually looked into doing exactly that - should it ever have been necessary. But, the dealer's response was in the negative ... for much the same insurance concerns I'm sure.

My guess is all dealers will respond the same to that idea.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My servicing dealership encourages me to watch. I bring a collapsable chair and park myself on either side of the car they're working on. The last time the tech almost didn't want to take lunch, we were having such a good time talking. I told him stories about DBK, Bony, Stormcat, Kirby, Gulf GT, Spirit, DBTGT, Silverbullitt, Floridaho, 1418, Indy GT, the Rallys we've had, etc. Lots of these guys lurk here and seem to appreciate putting faces to names. The pictures I have of Ed Sims' wife are always a pleaser.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Wait a second.... we don't share pictures of our wives...
go back and grab the chain saw and cut up another stiff..
bad dr frank... bad dr frank...
don't let it happen again
bony

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My servicing dealership encourages me to watch. I bring a collapsable chair and park myself on either side of the car they're working on. The last time the tech almost didn't want to take lunch, we were having such a good time talking. I told him stories about DBK, Bony, Stormcat, Kirby, Gulf GT, Spirit, DBTGT, Silverbullitt, Floridaho, 1418, Indy GT, the Rallys we've had, etc. Lots of these guys lurk here and seem to appreciate putting faces to names. The pictures I have of Ed Sims' wife are always a pleaser.

Frank,

I am sure your Tech does truly enjoy your presence and your storied past :frown, as do we all here.

But PLEASE NO PICTURES of your friends at road side stops along the way.:eek

We Love You Frankie.

:cheers:banana:cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Now, wait a minute, are you guys telling me that's not Ed's wife?

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Thanks for all the input gents!

Hey guys, tahnks for all of the input. I think that, if the dealer will provide me with the bolts, I will just do the job myself. I ahve a feeling that they will not be too accomodating on this respect. Otherwise, I will hopefully find one that will let me watch. I have a feeling Mark, that I will take it to Woodridge. Tehy seem like good folk. Also, I remember when I was in the market to buy a GT, there was a Black, no options car for sale at Maclin. They wouldn't even open the drivers door to let me look in from the outside (thought I was a tire kicker)...... Bad mistake.

Anyway, thanks again, Rob

PS..... Always like your pictures Bony!

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
This subject has been coming up alot lately with me as I have had a few GT owners asking to watch some of the things being done on there car. I have no problem with It and I think you will find alot of GT techs don't. The problem as we all know is with the dealerships insurance and some dealer owners that are scared to overlook this for a GT owner that just wants to make sure the car is being treated right. After alot of talking with our owner and some help from this post and some nice words from Miles(ama) our owner has had the dealers lawer draw up a simple doc. for a GT owner to sign and we can now have them in the shop. Something very simple to do. For you guys that are going to a dealer alot for work and have had a problem with them having you in the shop to watch you may want to ask them to do the same thing. Thanks for the good posts guys. It really helped.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
... our owner has had the dealers lawer draw up a simple doc. for a GT owner to sign and we can now have them in the shop. Something very simple to do. For you guys that are going to a dealer alot for work and have had a problem with them having you in the shop to watch you may want to ask them to do the same thing. Thanks for the good posts guys. It really helped.

Great. Happy to sign when I come in! :thumbsup

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
:thumbsup See you soon Chris. I'm glad we we're able to get it done before you got back in town. You we're an example I used as a reason we need to have something. Thanks.