Anyone has problem filling up the gas tank?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's an accordian bellows that is supposed to compress and form a tight seal over the fuel filler. Like many CARB mandated devices, it doesn't work worth a damn.

If you google, you'll find many links of complaints that they don't fit various vehicles.

They shouldn't be around much longer. The advent of the capless fuel filler makes them redundant, and not very effective.

I'm happy to be live where I can pull up to the gas station and fill up with leaded 110 on the pump spraying it into a funnel. :lol Technically it's illegal, but I've never, ever, ever seen it be enforced.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
These dispensing nozzles are a big problem in the motorcycle world as well. There is an easy solution available and it works great:

http://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html

I have one but seldom need it in Texas....yet. Wife keeps one in her Harley saddle bag too.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like the overwhelming opinion is the stupid evap skirt is the issue. Obviously it's not standardized across all pumps since one station will dispense fine and another won't work at all. Suppose I'll have to buy one. Thanks California for making me buy a $12 hunk of metal!:mad

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They shouldn't be around much longer. The advent of the capless fuel filler makes them redundant, and not very effective.

I'm happy to be live where I can pull up to the gas station and fill up with leaded 110 on the pump spraying it into a funnel. :lol Technically it's illegal, but I've never, ever, ever seen it be enforced.

Never seen that in CA. Probably would get more time the typical burglar.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks for the link. Sounds like the overwhelming opinion is the stupid evap skirt is the issue. Obviously it's not standardized across all pumps since one station will dispense fine and another won't work at all. Suppose I'll have to buy one. Thanks California for making me buy a $12 hunk of metal!:mad

Another big PITA is the CARB mandated gas cans with the self sealing spouts. They self spill more than the seal and actually pollute more! :thumbsdown

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Never seen that in CA. Probably would get more time the typical burglar.

The nozzles are different sizes so you have to use a funnel. Usually Sunoco has turbo blue but some citgo stations have race gas on pump as well. Typically skip those because they put kerosene in the tanks during winter.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The nozzles are different sizes so you have to use a funnel. Usually Sunoco has turbo blue but some citgo stations have race gas on pump as well. Typically skip those because they put kerosene in the tanks during winter.

Only in Motor city.

In CA we do have some pumps with leaded gas but they are all at race tracks. Never seen one at a public gas stations. Some public gas stations have higher octane unleaded race gas though. Much more of racing unleaded in SoCal than NorCal, more gear heads down there and Jay Leno keeps them busy.

The pump nozzles are too big to fit because when the gov. mandated a switch to unleaded they pass a fed. regulation to have all unleaded cars use a smaller nozzles so people won't make a mistake and put in the wrong type of gas.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Another big PITA is the CARB mandated gas cans with the self sealing spouts. They self spill more than the seal and actually pollute more! :thumbsdown

Couldn't agree more.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
After searching the interwebz for an alternative to that nozzle key, I came across this which works in a similar fashion. Made by a guy in SoCal for motorcycles. Difference with this one is it's plastic, would fit in my wallet which I have to take with me to the pump anyway, and is less likely to ding/scratch the paint if it were to fall off. I'll report back to my fellow Californians once I give it try.

[video=youtube;3Ph_CUbnHVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ph_CUbnHVQ&list=HL1364428766[/video]

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Well, I tried this card tool and....it doesn't work. Pump still shuts off. Took it off and held the rubber boot back with my hand instead. Marginally better. Could only dispense fuel with the trigger about 1/4-1/2 pulled or it would shut off. Grrrrrrrrr.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Bruce,

I see it at Chevron Stations in LA. Not just on the GT but MINI, Yokon, Shelby etc. Not sure what it is, usually at a Chevron Station..

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Unfortunate, Chevron has by far (at least up here) the best quality pump fuel. Our nozzles are not as bad as California's......yet.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Unfortunate, Chevron has by far (at least up here) the best quality pump fuel. Our nozzles are not as bad as California's......yet.

It was indeed a Chevron. I'll try the 76 near my house next time and see if I have any better luck.

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
Look at my post called "Gas cap issues" dated today. See if yours is same as I have same problem
Mike

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Your flapper is broken off.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Sorry bonehead I don't have time to read all the past responses so if you figured out the problem and its not the flapper then disregard this. If you use a flash light (not a lighter of course) slide the first door open then you will see the broken flapper down the throat about 4" as far as I know they still sell the same OEM filler neck that's why I just repaired mine instead of replacing it.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sorry bonehead I don't have time to read all the past responses so if you figured out the problem and its not the flapper then disregard this. If you use a flash light (not a lighter of course) slide the first door open then you will see the broken flapper down the throat about 4" as far as I know they still sell the same OEM filler neck that's why I just repaired mine instead of replacing it.

Haha. Had to laugh at the lighter comment:) No, still have the problem. And that first spring loaded flap under the sliding plastic door is still intact.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
We def don't have those self sealing spouts here. Our standard nozzles look like this:

image.1237915311.jpeg

Same result for all the years I've had my GT. Last time I was filling it. I swear it took me forever, constant click offs. In the end I don't think I even got a full tank, more like 3/4. It's def the inlet shape in the fuel tank causing pressure back into the pump nozzle. I'm actually wondering if carrying a funnel would work, since I have no problems filling up a 20L fuel canister until its full. A funnel could actually be an item that will fit in the GT's boot lol....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Is the octane RON, MON or (RON+MON)/2 ?

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
OK I see I was a bit late on the conversation last night. Don't listen to me when it's happy hour

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Is the octane RON, MON or (RON+MON)/2 ?

RON. Most countries use RON. US, Canada and a few others use (R+M)/2.