Anyone ever auction off seat time in your car?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
My kids attend a small charter school and they rely upon fundraising for a good portion of what they need. They have their annual Gala Event and are looking for things to auction.

I was thinking something like a 30 min ride in the GT to the highest bidder.

Anyone done this? Did you create a plaque or something? I was thinking along the lines of "The high bidder wins a ride in this quarter million dollar 200+ mph supercar".

Thoughts?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Sounds like a good idea to me - plaque and all. Why not?

(I'd omit the reference to the value of the car though...but, mebbe that's just me.)

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Fantastic idea. Quality photos would be more satisfactory than a plaque IMO since that's what the winner will be showing his/her friends, Fbook, etc.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Just be careful, I'm sure that a "liability waiver", and other "releases" and legal opinions are required!!!!!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I used to do this in the jet until the FAA changed the rules. Worked really well. The charities have subsequently asked if I would offer a ride instead. I always have said no. In the jet - we can do aerobatics, go fast, get upside down, really have quite a thrill - all 100% legal. My thought on the car is that someone who pays for the ride would want to go fast.. Now - in no way am I saying that I've never been beyond the posted speed limit... but offering a type of ride like that - with the charity's name on the line - doesn't work for me. If the rider only got to go 55 - I think they would feel ripped off..

Jason - if the first part of this could be managed - I'd probably be willing to also offer a ride in conjunction with your ride

Bill

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I've done it a few times. Rides were on the race track.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree with 33Bravo. The expectation of the rider is undoubtedly linked to utilizing some of the capabilities of the car and in doing so on public roads - it is almost always illegal. In the air or on a racetrack, it's a totally different story as long as you're staying within your own skills by a safe margin.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I think it's a great idea. Drive the winner like you drive yourself. For most, it's a thrill just to sit in the car. Do it.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Jason, I did it a couple years ago at a charity dyno event. It was for a girl with brain cancer. I got to take her for a ride and spend some time with her. She passed just a couple months ago. I can tell you it is something I will cherish forever. I don't know what they raised for it but I know several thousand came in and I just said whatever I will take anyone for a ride that sticks some money in the pot. I had several takers.

Us going out

[video=youtube;XR8w54RAvOc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR8w54RAvOc&feature=share&list=FLdsN-PB1Sud-CkYuWFK5zYA&index=13[/video]

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I did it for my local big brother program to raise money . We let people sit it and get a picture for a donation . The donation had to be a note , no change.we also auctioned off a 1 hour ride. We had an overwhelming response.
I also have done a similar thing to raise money for the local school sports programs for the high school .
It's really cool to be able to share the passion and raise money for a good cause

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did quite a bit of this, raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Charged everything from 100 to 300 dollars for a 5 to 30 minute cruise. No racing or speeding - simply just the chance for people to experience to be a passenger in the FGT. Every penny donated to JDRF and actually raised a good number for the good cause.

I did worry a bit over Insurance and liability. What I did was having people donate the amount agreed upon directly into the JDRF Collection site, and then I just had them along as any other passenger -maybe I am wrong - but I thought so at the time, that my car insurance would not be affected if anything would have happened.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I did for a charity event. $200 for a single warm lap around town. Worked out well. I established some rules pertaining to attire, jewelry, etc. Tried to register with Make A Wish, but too many "send money now" pop ups to deal with.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Jason,
Not one to shy away from doing the "right" thing because of legal issues, I would still try to protect yourself as best as possible from liability concerns.
Enjoy!
Best,
Mark