Anyone considered larger intercooler tank?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Has anyone considerd a larger intercooler tank? Just about to send the car back in for a few more mods and was considering extending the bottom of the tank down in the chassis. Basically take the stock tank, cut the bottom off, and fabricate an OEM matching tank bottom that will be built around the one small support bar below it so it can go lower and hold more fluid.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I did some calculation in the past and if I remember correctly, even if you doubled the capacity, it would buy you much less than a minute more time at WOT before the temp would be the same. However it does give you a greater heat capacity, but once heated the cooling capacity is still limited by the same heat exchanger in the front. For some application it would forestall the rise of IAT2.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I did some calculation in the past and if I remember correctly, even if you doubled the capacity, it would buy you much less than a minute more time at WOT before the temp would be the same. However it does give you a greater heat capacity, but once heated the cooling capacity is still limited by the same heat exchanger in the front. For some application it would forestall the rise of IAT2.

Yep, me n'Empty were saying pretty much the same thing....

Didn't understand a word of that

:lol

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know I saw something on this recently. However, I fail my "Forum Search Engine 101" class. Anybody know where that thread went?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Dan Schonek was talking about building a bigger heat exchanger. Not sure if he ever got around to it.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gulf GT,

Torrie has developed a large intercooler tank with a bigger opening that you can dump ice into before a Mile run. It has a quick drain as well. PM him.

Chip

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Thank you!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Dan Schonek was talking about building a bigger heat exchanger. Not sure if he ever got around to it.

Yup, but tests showed the innercooler under the blower is very good, I did find some tricks todo to it though to make it better. The aftermarket one was a flop. Ford did a very good job on the factory i.c. As far as the heat exchanger up front its a pretty good unit...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you changed the intercooler pump from the standard 12gpms to a higher one ,say 45gpm ,that might help .

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
If you changed the intercooler pump from the standard 12gpms to a higher one ,say 45gpm ,that might help .

But the factory one flows that up a 12 foot pipe. The factory pump is very good. I put a 35gpm Meziere pump in my car..

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
But the factory one flows that up a 12 foot pipe. The factory pump is very good. I put a 35gpm Meziere pump in my car..

And how did that work??

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You may find that the flow rate is limited by the size and length of the tubing from the engine to the intercooler radiator (both directions) and the flow through the radiator. If so, replacing the pump with a higher flow model will only increase the pressure drop across the pump with no additional coolant flow through the system.

Technical Term - Conductance Limited.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Technical Term - Conductance Limited.[/QUOTE]

Translated - you'll be flowing more hot coolant until you get to the point of hydraulic lockup . i.e. increased pressure & flow rates, w/o increasing the size/design of the whole coolant system, may not give you the results you desire.

INDY GT - please chime in with a technical disertation.:thumbsup

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
For all the above reasons, I abandoned the idea. I originally was just brainstorming ways of bringing down temps for road driving. Like I posted on the other thread, I am not building a dragster so it doesn't do anything for me.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The Gt guys seem to have a fix.
call or email them

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I put a 35gpm Meziere pump in my car..

Been thinking about that myself, would you mind commenting on install and your thoughts about the system with a higher flow pump (I presume you did this more for reliability than improved performance)? Pictures would be awesome.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Been thinking about that myself, would you mind commenting on install and your thoughts about the system with a higher flow pump (I presume you did this more for reliability than improved performance)? Pictures would be awesome.

+1

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Translated - you'll be flowing more hot coolant until you get to the point of hydraulic lockup . i.e. increased pressure & flow rates, w/o increasing the size/design of the whole coolant system, may not give you the results you desire.
Yup. No point in pumping faster if the front radiator is maxed out.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yup. No point in pumping faster if the front radiator is maxed out.

What if you had a more efficient front radiator? Measurably 30% more efficient. Wait for it... it's coming.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Or, it could hurt. Matching flow and radiator size is very important.

Last edited: