Anybody catch the GT / GT40 comparo on DGC??

soltic

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've known Peter Klutt for over 16 yrs now & when we were looking for a GT he kept teling me about a Dream Car Garage epi where they compared an original race 40, an SPF40 & a new GT...

Had the calendar marked for Sat night to record for months... & forgot....:frown

I know the ranking he gave to the cars in order of preference (semi surprising).... but darn, simply missed the show & there's no info on speed showing any re-air dates..

Did anyone catch it & can fill us in on details???

-Rod

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I watched it very late last night on Speed. Peter didn't drive the GT, just the original GT 40 and the SPF car. I was disappointed that they didn't say much about our car, primarily that it was 11/10 size compared to the original racers. They did praise Camillo and had a shot of him. They had a numberless Heritage that they (Hnatiw) drove around the track. The segment wasn't very long and not just a whole lot said about our cars.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I didn't expect them to put ours above the SPF especially since SPF was a sponsor. I've been in an SPF car..I'll take mine any day.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I didn't expect them to put ours above the SPF especially since SPF was a sponsor. I've been in an SPF car..I'll take mine any day.

ASS-O-LUTELY HIT THAT NAIL ON THE HEAD:thumbsup

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
I too have been in the SPF GT40, wonderful car, but not for me. I will, and did, take the FGT.

soltic

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
That's too bad - I expected quite a show w/ the usual hard testing.

I know they rated the cars in order of preference as 1) race 40 2) spf40 3) GT.

What's interesting is SPF40's are apparently never going to be sold in Canada - our government has pretty much killed the replicar turnkey minus biz while the spf40's were on the water. All were directed to the States for sale there.

There are a few CAV chassis still available for assembly here in Toronto which we checked out prior to p/u our GT - & (obviously) I'm on board w/ u guys :thumbsup- much prefer our GT over the replicas, but darn, if we had the space & now that we p/u a GT there were only 3 Brock coupes brought into Canada & only 1 still as a roller....I think a Roush 427IR would look reeaaal good in there!

-Rod

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I am willing to bet that turn key pluses will be a thing of the past in California.... it's on the way... brace yourself.

soltic

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I'd hate to say it but it does make sense - brand new vehicle titled as something like a '65 (say Cobra) exempt from any crash standards & emissions... made in 2007.....

On the other hand, most couldn't afford a real Cobra so....

Rumour suggests they may also clamp on all kit-building as well here in Canada.

If that happens, then it'sgood news to those that'll have grandfathered cars - like the last Brock coupe here in roller form or buddy that built an awesome 427 Cobra in his garage w/ his son....

Rod

Fran RCR

Dec 26, 2006
Metro Detroit
Cant happen in Oz either...new rules have banned TK replica anything...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Oz is nutso, no side pipes in N S W