Any tips to stop engine running lean with 4l whipple?

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Have you done any ungraded to the intercooler system? At your boost levels I would guess that the IAT2 would rise quite a bit during a sustained pull, e.g. mile run.

No intercooler modifications yet. I have ran the car hard out at High Planes race way wich is a two and a half mile road coarse. I have reached water temps of 240 degrees after a 20 lap run all out. This is one area that can use some inprovement. :ack

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Over heating

No intercooler modifications yet. I have ran the car hard out at High Planes race way wich is a two and a half mile road coarse. I have reached water temps of 240 degrees after a 20 lap run all out. This is one area that can use some inprovement. :ack

I would love to get 20 laps, my car went to 240 in only 5 hard laps at Willow Springs, I wonder if anybody has a radiator upgrade for these cars.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would love to get 20 laps, my car went to 240 in only 5 hard laps at Willow Springs, I wonder if anybody has a radiator upgrade for these cars.

Have you used vacuum to fill your cooling system to eliminate any air pockets?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

(1) Were you running the air conditioner? This turns on the radiator fans - set the temperature control to a setting where the compressor will not be engaging and thus just the fans will be running. Alternatively, have the ECM reprogrammed to turn on the fans at a lower temperature.

(2) Install the Accufab springs in the hoses - the water pump is so efficient it may be collapsing your hoses, restricting the coolant flow.

(3) Install the transaxle cooler.

(4) Get rid of the stock muffler which blocks the air flow exit with a huge hot block.

Search the forum for other tips to keep temps down on the track.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Ford GT radiator cooling

(1) Were you running the air conditioner? This turns on the radiator fans - set the temperature control to a setting where the compressor will not be engaging and thus just the fans will be running. Alternatively, have the ECM reprogrammed to turn on the fans at a lower temperature.

(2) Install the Accufab springs in the hoses - the water pump is so efficient it may be collapsing your hoses, restricting the coolant flow.

(3) Install the transaxle cooler.

(4) Get rid of the stock muffler which blocks the air flow exit with a huge hot block.

Search the forum for other tips to keep temps down on the track.

There are only 6" long Magnaflow unrestricted mufflers with headers, no Cats

I have the transmission cooler

I don't think radiator fans would help when vehicle speeds are so high that airflow exceeds what the fans could provide
(most of the time speeds are well above 90 mph)

The temps were under 240 the next day when outside ambient dropped to around 75 D., if the hoses collapsed I think it would be independent of outside ambient.

This is a 2005 car with the restrictive grill so that may also be part of the problem, fans are programed to come on early.

I am concerned that it will be a problem at the next rally with the high ambient temps and low air density at that altitude.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The temps were under 240 the next day when outside ambient dropped to around 75 D., if the hoses collapsed I think it would be independent of outside ambient.

This is a 2005 car with the restrictive grill so that may also be part of the problem, fans are programed to come on early.

The hose can collapse dependent on the flow and the temp of the coolant. IMO the springs can't hurt, don't cost much, but one of them is a little painful to install.

The grill can be a problem, the 06 flows better.

You didn't address if the coolant was filled using the vacuum system. Having air pockets in the system also inhibits coolant flow. Some of Shadowman's customers that had problems before, no longer do after Bill did a through vacuum fill of the system.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The most effective advise I have been given on track day temp is to use a higher gear. The GT produces so much torque that it wont significantly affect your times. The lower rpms makes a big difference on engine temps. I hope to have a radiator upgrade by the end of summer.

D one

FORD GT OWNER - PHILLIPINES
May 17, 2007
Good day ! I am running 4.0 whipple with open air intake. Boosting 23lbs with 52lbs injectors and Diablo Maf. Max rev 7,200 rpm, Fuel 102 octane Avgas,
making 872 Whp 752 Wtorque. Air Fuel ratio 12

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Good day ! I am running 4.0 whipple with open air intake. Boosting 23lbs with 52lbs injectors and Diablo Maf. Max rev 7,200 rpm, Fuel 102 octane Avgas,

Great numbers. Did you have make any changes to the fuel pumps, like a boost-a-pump? Which 52 lbs injectors are you using?

D one

May 17, 2007
Hi BlackIce, Ordered the injectors from Muscle Motors Motorsport I believe its Bosch. Been trying to post picture of my engine setup. But had a hard time up loading. thanks

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
so you're running uprated injectors but standard fuel pump? would be great to see your engine set up. who did it for you?

have you tried any 200mph + runs (ie really stressed the engine). mine evidently ran fine on the dyno but I'm told real world 200+ runs are a different ball game and I need to dial boost back to be safe. which is not my preferred solution.

any help greatly appreciated.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

For running the mile, when you have maybe 10-15 seconds of WOT in the upper rev ranges, I'd recommend targetting an AF of 11.5. Further, if you have a way to remove the cats for the Mile venues, then you can use C16 fuel which will provide even more insurance.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I wish he would divulge the particulars of the 875/752 build. Those are impressive numbers, only to be surpased by Rockstar and those who build their long block from the bottom up.

D one

May 17, 2007
We do get to run flatout, this is why I get such a kick fixing my GT. Have a video when the car was still running pulley tune setup making 650whp on dynojet then. with Ford racing longtube headers, Catless open exhaust, 102 octane Avgas, Cut-open Air box and Accufab throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb6YRUBHB98

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
We do get to run flatout, this is why I get such a kick fixing my GT. Have a video when the car was still running pulley tune setup making 650whp on dynojet then. with Ford racing longtube headers, Catless open exhaust, 102 octane Avgas, Cut-open Air box and Accufab throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb6YRUBHB98

Any photos of your air box mods?

A am very surprised that you are getting 872 HP without any fuel system changes other than injectors, but the proof is your car is working.

D one

May 17, 2007
Present setup Whipple 4.0 , Whipple Monoblabe Throttle body, Muscle Motorsports 52lbs injectors, NGK TR8 Plugs, Customize intake tube with K&N filter,
Ford Racing Longtube headers, Catless pipes to Accufab X-pipe, Hoosier R6 and 102 Octane Avgas. Stock Fuel Pump, No BAP, Stock Internals reving 7200rpm. Made a Vbox run 60-130mph run, Time 5.3 in single gear. Preparing for 230 mph VBox run.

D one

May 17, 2007
Any photos of your air box mods?

A am very surprised that you are getting 872 HP without any fuel system changes other than injectors, but the proof is your car is working.

Actually we just cutout the bottom part on both side of the airbox back then 2006. Quoting my tuner " that Hot air is better than no air". But presently Customize Intake tube made of aluminum with 150mm K&N Filter.

D one

May 17, 2007
Please check pics of my GT here : http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/gono1/

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks for sharing the photos. You replaced everything aft of the throttle body. I would say your results support your earlier statement, better hot air than no air.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for sharing the photos. You replaced everything aft of the throttle body. I would say your results support your earlier statement, better hot air than no air.

Its actually true, we found out on the dyno last week! we put a vacum gauge on the inlet and saw it drawing a vacum, I cut two holes in the bottom of the air box and the car picked up quite a bit, so now I will be making my own custom air box as well.