Any tips to stop engine running lean with 4l whipple?

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
I want to run my car close to flat out on a 2 mile runway and just learned that someone else with the same spec (4l whipple) put a hole in their piston as engine was running too lean.

any tips? will a fuel booster pump be sufficient or should i do more? evidently dyno runs aren't realistic enough to properly identify the problem.

many thanks

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Other than enrichment and timing using a programmer, try water injection.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My Gen 1 3.3L Whipple at Mojave was running nearly 90% duty cycle on both the injectors and fuel pump. I have heard it is worst with the 4L. Either run less boost or a boost-a-pump is the easiest fix.

I would datalog to get a better idea on what your car is doing.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 May. 07 15.46.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 May. 07 15.46.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
There is a very detailed discussion on this already. I'll see if I can find the link. Basically you are going to be out of fuel. I was tapped out with the 3.2L on a 21lb pulley. Fubar's thread details what he had to do to get enough fuel to new injectors.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Talk to Torrie at Unleashed Tuning!:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Aggie is right. Fubar has a very detailed description with parts listings and pictures. Don't reinvent the wheel.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Aggie is right. Fubar has a very detailed description with parts listings and pictures. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Fubar is a pioneering maverick, there is no doubt. This takes a level of commitment and passion and is not for the faint of heart. I would recommend looking to conventional methods first and then if those don't work, you have to ask yourself a fundamental question. Do you have the patience, resources, capability and maintenance follow-through to follow Fubar's path OR, should you "downsize" to a Gen2 Whipple and use all OEM components for fueling???

I would recommend that you add the KB BAP and then arrange a dyno session when you can also have Torrie on the phone. See if the BAP along with Torrie's tuning expertise can make the car safe before you start going down a path less traveled.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Your going to need at least 2 sets of Gt500 52lb injectors to swap out your factory 32lb'ers.... Then I would add a Kenne bell boost a pump aswell. A dedicated fuel system would be the best option with a seperate tank,an xtra fuel pump, fuel rails and regulator.

Next how much boost you wanting to run with the 4.0? You might want to think about a lighter Harmonic balancer aswell....Either Ati or Innovators West.

last but not least who burnt a hole in there 4.0 combo?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Your going to need at least 2 sets of Gt500 52lb injectors to swap out your factory 32lb'ers....

Does the dual spray pattern of the GT500 injectors cause any problems compared to the stock single pattern injectors?

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
Has anyone cured the issue for the 4l whipple other than Fubar? his mods sound torturous. it's there any simpler way for those less capable such as myself.

you'd think whipple could provide some guidance as it must be true of anyone trying to benefit from buying a 4l. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what boost I'm running (I've now asked) but dyno print from last April (when it was installed) is 810hp at 6600rpm and 663 lbft at 5400rpm running MAFIA module set to no.2.

thanks for your guidance on this. I'll also try to found out who holed their piston, I'm told it was at "Woodbridge airfield" in the UK just after a 195mph run. Good job I've only been up to 180mph a few times!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I suspect that you are running a 21 lb pulley. By comparison, the Gen2 we did for FastFreddy (with custom tuning by Torrie) did 751 RWHP and 704RWTQ. We did NOT have a BAP on Fred's car and had good a/f's through the range. My view is that you should be fine with a BAP, stock injectors and, most importantly, a good tune. If you can find someone with some SCT experience (especially their data capture software), then you could engage Torrie in a remote tuning session.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
tricky... very tricky. The Kenn Bell BAP didn't do much for me but it might for some. My solution was overkill for the 4.0L but I have plans for more power in the future. I wanted a fuel system that allowed me add more power down the road. Looking back at everything, I would add the O2 sensor to the dash, and a third in-line fuel pump. That should be enough to solve any fuel shortage on the 4.0L problems.

Here is my word of caution with that solution, keep some sort of LED indicator or alarm on that third pump. With two pumps on the GT already and you adding a third; you create three points for potential failure. Anytime you add more than one pump there is a chance for big problems. A GT will run fine on one factory pump but when you get into the power it will run lean and you wouldn't know it... at least that was my fear. It is probably unnecessary to be that worried as long as you have a good O2 monitor that you can actively watch. If you want more info on my experiences with this issue shoot me a PM or give me a call. 214.549.8181 (Mark M.)

here is the link to the old threads:

The install and problem identification
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?15866-whipple-4.0

My solution
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Fuel-System-(lots-of-pix-not-dialup-friendly)

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Fuel Pumps

I want to run my car close to flat out on a 2 mile runway and just learned that someone else with the same spec (4l whipple) put a hole in their piston as engine was running too lean.

any tips? will a fuel booster pump be sufficient or should i do more? evidently dyno runs aren't realistic enough to properly identify the problem.

many thanks

I installed two MSD Boostapumps one for each fuel pump in place of the fuel pump relays and set them up to only boost the fuel pump voltage when above 14 PSI. I like this set up because the fuel pumps are not stressed with higher voltage at normal boost levels. My maximum voltage is 17.0 above 20 PSI. RWHP was 862 but I have since reduced the boost because of a concern over shearing the crank drive key.

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
If you go back in the 4 liter Whipple threads you will see we made great strides in making this unit work great. My car last dynoed 925 RWHP and about 885 torque, 24 1/2 lbs boost on 104 Sonoco. Give me a call if ya like. "Rockstar" Rich Barnes Golden, Co 303-931-5412.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
If you go back in the 4 liter Whipple threads you will see we made great strides in making this unit work great. My car last dynoed 925 RWHP and about 885 torque, 24 1/2 lbs boost on 104 Sonoco. Give me a call if ya like. "Rockstar" Rich Barnes Golden, Co 303-931-5412.

I believe the Rockstar has the highest HP Whipple without nitrous, by a large margin.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Any special techniques for running that config at our altitude?

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Any special techniques for running that config at our altitude?

Threre were about 15 modifications to achieve this result. Three months of trial, error, expence and yes of corse :confused BRAIN DAMMAGE! It was all worth it. With what we have done I think there is still about another 50 hp to gain and all of this is with out even going into the motor. I cannot wate till I do go inside and go to the furtherest peramiters of this mod motor. What could we achieve? 1500 RWHP + ??????? I think what we have done can be duplicated and used in any altitude.

Attachments

• DSC_0564_0003.jpg
    DSC_0564_0003.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 224

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
4.0 Whipple

Was this altitude corrected measured in Denver? I was under the impression from previous posts that the heads were CNC'd and the crank double keyed, did you modify the stock air filter assembly beyond just installing a K&N filter?

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Was this altitude corrected measured in Denver? I was under the impression from previous posts that the heads were CNC'd and the crank double keyed, did you modify the stock air filter assembly beyond just installing a K&N filter?

This is a corrected number on the dyno. No head work or crank work has been done. We have not gone into the motor yet. It will be exciting when we do. One of the modifications was done to the air box by enlargining the plenum.

Attachments

• Ford GT air box mods 005.jpg
    Ford GT air box mods 005.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 203

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
This is a corrected number on the dyno. No head work or crank work has been done. We have not gone into the motor yet. It will be exciting when we do. One of the modifications was done to the air box by enlargining the plenum.

Have you done any ungraded to the intercooler system? At your boost levels I would guess that the IAT2 would rise quite a bit during a sustained pull, e.g. mile run.