Any 351 Cleveland Gear Heads Here?

H

HHGT

My Cobra Replica has 351C Aluminum heads on her. One of the Valve Covers is cracked. I bought the Ford Racing replacement and to my surprise I found out that the Aluminum Head Cover has 5 bolts - 2 on the sides, 3 on the bottom and non on the top. The replacement valve cover for an OEM head has 7 bolts - 2 on the side, 4 on the bottom and one on the top center which is the configuration for the Ford Racing Valve Cover.

During the search for a new valve cover, I found out that 351C does not have an aftermarket COBRA logo Valve Cover available and hence why I went with the ford racing replacement. Well now I am stuck and any help would be appreciated.

Also, any carburetor recommendations other than an Edelbrock would be appreciated.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
My Cobra Replica has 351C Aluminum heads on her. One of the Valve Covers is cracked. I bought the Ford Racing replacement and to my surprise I found out that the Aluminum Head Cover has 5 bolts - 2 on the sides, 3 on the bottom and non on the top. The replacement valve cover for an OEM head has 7 bolts - 2 on the side, 4 on the bottom and one on the top center which is the configuration for the Ford Racing Valve Cover.

During the search for a new valve cover, I found out that 351C does not have an aftermarket COBRA logo Valve Cover available and hence why I went with the ford racing replacement. Well now I am stuck and any help would be appreciated.

Also, any carburetor recommendations other than an Edelbrock would be appreciated.

Call John Vermeersch 586-468-3673 Tell him Tom Phipps refered you to call

If he can't help he will know who can.

H

HHGT

Call John Vermeersch 586-468-3673 Tell him Tom Phipps refered you to call

If he can't help he will know who can.

Thanks Tom.

Sam

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
351 C Valve Covers

Sam - you've really got me confused. I've run Clevelands for many years, and have never seen one with 5 OR 7 bolts on the valve covers. :confused

Generally speaking, Clevelands have 8-bolt valve covers, similar to these:

DSCN6640_Large_.JPG

...and Windsor engines have 6-bolt valve covers like these:

IMG_8015.JPG

The aluminum B-351 Ford MotorSport heads on my Cleveland have 8 valve-cover bolts, same layout as the iron pieces. What heads do you have on that beast?

For carbs, my preference has always been "the more the merrier...", so 4 Weber 48 IDA's are my first choice.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Sam - you've really got me confused. I've run Clevelands for many years, and have never seen one with 5 OR 7 bolts on the valve covers. :confused

DSCN6640_Large_.JPG

IMG_8015.JPG

The aluminum B-351 Ford MotorSport heads on my Cleveland have 8 valve-cover bolts, same layout as the iron pieces. What heads do you have on that beast?

For carbs, my preference has always been "the more the merrier...", so 4 Weber 48 IDA's are my first choice.

exactly what I was thinking,...... any valve cover that was made for a boss 302 would fit also.

H

HHGT

DSCN6640_Large_.JPG

IMG_8015.JPG

Jeff, thanks for the response. In short, I was mistaken. It turns out its a Windsor and not a Cleveland - I have never seen nor worked on a 351C.

After talking to a couple of guys today, I found out how to tell the difference which includes the thermostat housing and the size of the plugs. Today I found out the motor is an FMS 351 W P/N 6009-D58 with an Edelbrock Aluminum Performer RPM Heads. I am still mystified as to why it has 5 bolts though.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Can you just weld the cover from the inside?

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have a 351C in my Pantera. The aluminum valve covers are notorious for that cracking condition. Gary Hall at Hall Pantera started making replacements for that cover and would probably be a really good resourse for 351C or 351W info.

www.hallpantera.com