Another Viper owner looking for a GT

Papethova

Nov 15, 2005
I just couldn't resist any longer. I have been a Viper owner for many years now and the GT, to me, today is what the Viper was back in 1992. Until this point I wasn't convinced that there was enough difference between the two to warrant actually purchasing the car. I'm now wrestling with the decision to add the GT to my Viper or replace the Viper with the GT. Any input from Viper owners is appreciated. It seems to me the two cars are too similar (American muscle cars) and the GT will replace the Viper in my life.

Obviously I can opt to get a Gallardo instead and that would definitely be an addition because it is nothing like my Viper.

FYI, I have never seen a GT on the streets, just at autoshows and the dealer showroom. You guys driving them or what????

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I am driving mine. I have close to 600 miles curently on odometer. I only have 1 day a weekend i can drive. I am also a current Viper owner. I find myself wanting to drive the GT all the time. Don't get me wrong i love my Vipers but there is something about this GT !!!! Maybe i am living in the past (this is what my Viper brethern)tell me. But i was just a youngster when the GT40 was winning Lemans.

I swear to god that i can feel the power of the GT in my Chest when i decide the road is clear & i give her the Supercharger. You will not be disappointed.

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
I still have my GTS but sold my SRT-10 when I got the GT.
I have only had the GT 2 weeks and also only 1 day/wk to drive it... and now it's gotten cold here!
But, I'm putting some miles on anyway.

The GT is something special IMO.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I have been a owner of mulitple vipers for many years and have been active in
the viper community racing and modifying vipers and such. As a matter fact I had the first viper ever supercharged by Jason Heffner and helped get him in the viper tuning community. I am only giving that information as a little background in my experience with vipers, as I really like them all its the gts's I like better than the others but I like them all. That being said the viper is just not in the same league as the GT, the GT is much more refined and smooth and is just a superior car, power and looks I think the GT is just superior, it costs more for sure but the old saying is you get what you pay for and I for one really believe when you buy a GT you are getting the ultimate american car and maybe the ultimate car period in some peoples mind.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
I'm a wannabe GT owner, and current GTS owner. Maybe we should start a support group for Viper-to-FGT converts! Meetings would last for hours! (blah blah blah, you know!) :lol

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Papethova said:
I just couldn't resist any longer. I have been a Viper owner for many years now and the GT, to me, today is what the Viper was back in 1992. Until this point I wasn't convinced that there was enough difference between the two to warrant actually purchasing the car. I'm now wrestling with the decision to add the GT to my Viper or replace the Viper with the GT. Any input from Viper owners is appreciated. It seems to me the two cars are too similar (American muscle cars) and the GT will replace the Viper in my life.

Obviously I can opt to get a Gallardo instead and that would definitely be an addition because it is nothing like my Viper.

FYI, I have never seen a GT on the streets, just at autoshows and the dealer showroom. You guys driving them or what????

I've had mine for about 2 months and I have over 1200 miles on it. It's had it's first oil change, had the Borla muffler installed and right now I'm waiting on a new clutch to come in to replace the one I burned up. That's a very expensive mistake (about $3000 ) and I don't recommend it to anyone. But as soon as it's ready to go, I'll continue driving it daily. That's what's so nice about this car, it makes a great daily driver that also gets more attention than anything on the road. I wouldn't take 2 Ferraris for it.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
TEXAS GT said:
I've had mine for about 2 months and I have over 1200 miles on it. It's had it's first oil change, had the Borla muffler installed and right now I'm waiting on a new clutch to come in to replace the one I burned up. That's a very expensive mistake (about $3000 ) and I don't recommend it to anyone. But as soon as it's ready to go, I'll continue driving it daily. That's what's so nice about this car, it makes a great daily driver that also gets more attention than anything on the road. I wouldn't take 2 Ferraris for it.

How did you burn your clutch? I've had 1,200 miles on mine in 2 months, with 2 trips to the track (where I drove the car at about 75% only).
I love this car!
But I think my wife loves it more, as she insists on us going shopping in it. Go figure!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Texas, I would also be very interested to hear about your clutch - were you just a bit too enthusiastic a bit too often, or something else?

Papethova, I've never driven a Viper, but the people on this Forum are a knowledgable bunch (and actually not that biased given it's a GT Forum) so it sounds like a thumbs up! I adore the GT and I've had some 'interesting' cars over the years - and yes, when I get the chance, I drive it. It's sublime!

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Geeeze ! I thought the clutch was "indistructable".
Anyway, I too have owned Vipers since '95 (4). The '04 was sold because it was hot and uninteresting. Now I have sold the '97 Roe Supercharged GTS because I got an offer I could not refuse $$$$$$. I do not miss it even though it was much faster that the GT (10:70s on a good day).
The above posters have said it all . I have 1000 miles as of today. :rofl

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Tell us the clutch story.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Alright, alright, here's the story. It was not the cars' fault in any way, just my own carelessness. I came out of reverse, jammed it into first , revved it to about 3000 and dropped the clutch to make a suitable impression with a nice smokey burnout. By the time I realized I was in 3rd gear instead of first, I had hit over 5000 RPM and my clutch was slipping like hell. I got off of it as fast as possible but by then it smelled like something off the space shuttle after re-entry. I did achieve the burnout and nobody was the wiser except me. The clutch probably is indestructible under normal driving but I just asked too much of it. I figured I was probably the first in the country to have to replace his clutch but my dealer said his service rep has already seen one other going in. It's apparently quite a job to replace and takes about 15 hours (at least that's what he's charging me). It's a good time to replace the muffler with the Borla since the exhaust has to come off anyway but just my luck I paid to have that done just 200 miles ago. Expensive lesson.

The thing shifts ok but it chatters and bangs on take off. The harder I try to launch, the worse it grabs and jerks.

Last edited:

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Better look at the flywheel while its apart. Might have hot spots, distortion.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Keep the Viper too. I have 3 Vipers and just purchased a GT. They are a lot different. Both have a great wow factor. I do think for now I do like driving the GT more. Maybe because it so different than the Vipers.

Love both cars.

2vipers2go

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2005
South Carolina
Viper and GT owner

Currently within 2 weeks of taking delivery of the GT, my SRT coupe arrived as well. It's a First edition, and I am very happy with it so far. So on to the GT and the differences. The GT has been a learning experience, not the least of which involves ducking my head when exiting the vechicle. First gear has been a challenge for some reason, and the placement of reverse by first gear instead of by fifth as in the Vipers has been challenging. Learning how to open the fuel door involved my son's reading the owner's manual in the fueling station. Neither Ford, GM, or Dodge has learned how to properly sell, or present vehicles of this magnitude. On to the performance aspects! The GT has a more linear application of power, very much like an electric motor. The auditory and visual stimulation of both is also quite different. The GT is very quiet and restrained compared to the Vipers. The Vipers let you know internal combustion is occurring, and the GT just goes about the business of producing horsepower and torque. The seats in the GT are much more comfortable than my 97 GTS, but the 2006 SRT is on par with the GT seats. Handling in any of the vehicles is rail like and precise. With only 300 miles on the GT, and 39 on the SRT coupe, my seat of the pants reporting will have to wait. I still am quite enthralled with the 97 GTS and it's rawness. But alas time and technology march on, and I'm sure the GT will wow me with it's bag of tricks. I await the arrival of the Z06 so I can have my own road test!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
2vips2go...welcome, looks like you have all you bases covered. I have never owned a Viper, always wanted one, especially like what I see with the Viper Club. Have a Z06 coming sometime in '06.... I hope, .... I think. Very please with the GT, as are all the owners I have met and heard from on this forum.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
2vipers2go said:
Currently within 2 weeks of taking delivery of the GT, my SRT coupe arrived as well. It's a First edition, and I am very happy with it so far. So on to the GT and the differences. The GT has been a learning experience, not the least of which involves ducking my head when exiting the vechicle. First gear has been a challenge for some reason, and the placement of reverse by first gear instead of by fifth as in the Vipers has been challenging. Learning how to open the fuel door involved my son's reading the owner's manual in the fueling station. Neither Ford, GM, or Dodge has learned how to properly sell, or present vehicles of this magnitude. On to the performance aspects! The GT has a more linear application of power, very much like an electric motor. The auditory and visual stimulation of both is also quite different. The GT is very quiet and restrained compared to the Vipers. The Vipers let you know internal combustion is occurring, and the GT just goes about the business of producing horsepower and torque. The seats in the GT are much more comfortable than my 97 GTS, but the 2006 SRT is on par with the GT seats. Handling in any of the vehicles is rail like and precise. With only 300 miles on the GT, and 39 on the SRT coupe, my seat of the pants reporting will have to wait. I still am quite enthralled with the 97 GTS and it's rawness. But alas time and technology march on, and I'm sure the GT will wow me with it's bag of tricks. I await the arrival of the Z06 so I can have my own road test!!

2vipers2go- Where do you live in Florida? I also have a FE '06 Viper Coupe to complement my GT.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
For what it is worth I've owned 9 Vipers since 1994. I loved the torque and performance as well as the awesome look of the Viper. I sold my last Viper to get a GT. The GT is a much more (smooth) car to drive as far as driver input. It also has a higher quality of workmanship feel to it as I drive it. The performance speaks for itself compared to a stock Viper. As far as I'm concerned the GT wins if all things are equal. With the price being twice as much as a Viper it does make one stop and think about it. I'm a car dealer and I only went to the GT because it was my brand of product. After doing so I know I have the best car but my point is that the price would probably have made me stay in the Viper if I had not wanted a Ford product to play in. I think the Viper is a great car and anyone that is fortunate enough to own a Viper should feel very good about the product. I do think the GT is a much better car but either one is great. I do have to hand it to Dodge for getting the Viper Club as strong as it is. I can only wish that the GT owners can some how get some events planned and all meet up with eachother for some fun. Go to www.chuckanderson.com and visit the performance page. Most of those Vipers were my personal cars. I'll keep the GT!

Mike Anderson

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
05 Ford GT said:
For what it is worth I've owned 9 Vipers since 1994. I loved the torque and performance as well as the awesome look of the Viper. I sold my last Viper to get a GT. The GT is a much more (smooth) car to drive as far as driver input. It also has a higher quality of workmanship feel to it as I drive it. The performance speaks for itself compared to a stock Viper. As far as I'm concerned the GT wins if all things are equal. With the price being twice as much as a Viper it does make one stop and think about it. I'm a car dealer and I only went to the GT because it was my brand of product. After doing so I know I have the best car but my point is that the price would probably have made me stay in the Viper if I had not wanted a Ford product to play in. I think the Viper is a great car and anyone that is fortunate enough to own a Viper should feel very good about the product. I do think the GT is a much better car but either one is great. I do have to hand it to Dodge for getting the Viper Club as strong as it is. I can only wish that the GT owners can some how get some events planned and all meet up with eachother for some fun. Go to www.chuckanderson.com and visit the performance page. Most of those Vipers were my personal cars. I'll keep the GT!

Mike Anderson

Mike, welcome, I share your thoughts on how effective the Viper Club is and hope Ford steps up to do something similar.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Texas, that was good of you to admit....

I did a real 'Mr Bean' when I collected my car, something very similar but without the high rpm. I assumed (wrongly) that the first 'spring action/resistance' on the gearbox was protecting reverse (not realizing that there's a firmer resistance beyond it). Soooo, with only 7 miles on the clock I wobbled off in 3rd gear from the showroom and at the first set of lights too. Ahem!

In my mild defence - NOBODY TOLD ME!!

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Welcome Mike. Hopefully you are a Friendly Ford Dealer.
Some of us are looking to do some modifications but are afraid of voiding our warranty.