Another gift to my dad story .....

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Inspired by Pe2unias story I just wanted to share a similar story ...

I did a similar thing - although not nearly as cool a car - for my 78 year old dad back in August. Back in the mid seventies, my family spent almost 6 months travelling across the US - 3 of this in a brand new Ford LTD which was - at least to us europeans - an "out of this world" limousine .....

Like Pe2unias dad, mine had often talked about this very special experience - especially because my mother really gave him hell for choosing such a "unnecessarily large car" - we could have done with much less my mother thought ....

About a year ago I started my search for a nice LTD like the one we rented - and the plan was to surprise him a couple days early of the fall family meet, and then spend a couple of days cruising around Denmark with my brothers and my 9 year old son Nicolas ...

I spent a few months looking on Ebay, in the various online trader places and finally found on on Cars On Line that mathed the specs I had. Found a really great car in NJ - a car that spent most its life in the midwest by now owned by an elderly gentleman. Very nice, 25K mile original car in close to perfect condition .....

Importing, inspection etc. took about 3 months - and had to keep everything very secret to avoid any leaks .... so even my wife did not know about it until it finally - and suddenly appeared in my garage a few weekes before the trip. I have found out that keeping my wife in the dark about my car stuff works really well :biggrin:rofl

So one early morning back in late august, me, my son and my 3 brothers (one flown in from China where he lives, one from Germany where he lives) surprised my dad ..... needless to say, we had a great trip with memories that will last forever ...

The LTD is now parked in his garage and any time I call him on the phone, I always have to hear how nice this LTD is being treated :wink

Pictures taken that same early morning ...

IMG_6080.jpgIMG_6088.jpgIMG_6077.jpg

:cheers
Anders

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As in John's case - "Good on you" too, Anders! And for the same reason! :thumbsup:thumbsup

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great story Anders, So meaningful ..

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
A special Dad and a special son. Well Done.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Anders
You are one good guy!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
should have bought a RED one. Nice story buddy. How come no women in the pictures?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Great story!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Fantastic! Those photos immediately tell you that this story will last for generations. I look forward to the photos of the third generation behind the wheel.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
should have bought a RED one. Nice story buddy. How come no women in the pictures?

:biggrin Not many "Race car red" LTD´s in those years :biggrin The actual rentalcar back in 76 was light babyblue, but every one I found was in poor condition. But you´re right, probably would gain about 35 mph top speed if painted red, and possibly another 20 mph if adding the white Le Mans stripes :biggrin:rofl

But probably the only LTD of its kind in Denmark, so even a white one attracts alot of attention.

No women in the picture as my mother passed away almost 20 years ago, so this trip was to be a "guys only" trip. Also because we had been on the road most of the night to get to his place early in the morning, and my wife is much more delightful to be around when she has had her beauty sleep :biggrin:rofl:facepalm:

My brothers wifes/GF are holding the camera :lol:facepalm:

Third generation not ready to take over before taking a nap :wink

IMG_6075.jpg

But when awake - serious caraholic .... :lol

IMG_0452.JPG

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Great story, maybe someday your son will get you a rental Mustang racecar like the one you had at rally VII.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great story Anders! :thumbsupI know the pride you are feeling all to well.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Way to go, Anders - - - you da man!!

:thumbsup

FordGT4fun

great story Anders and no doubt with that special an original gift for your dad you have choosen the best youth elixir.
regards
Pierre

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Enjoyed hearing the story about the LTD at the Rally, but the pictures just say it all!

Great work Anders, your dad is one lucky guy!

I'll comb the swap meets this summer to see if I can find a pair of rear fender skirts for your car. Lowers that beast and makes it look even longer than it is.