Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If I am not mistaken, this is the car that was wrecked by a Forum member with one of the main causes being cold tires and a cold Sunset Blvd street. The car was originally towed to a repair center in Van Nuys and the owner was kind enough to let me personally inspect the vehicle. (I was/am legitimately interested in purchasing such a vehicle.)

Unfortunately, this car was VERY badly damaged. If the intent was to put this car back on the road again, a new space frame will be needed. I believe that quote was $58,000. In addition to the space fram, many more parts are required. Most of the rear pieces are needed as well as suspension pieces. A new clamshell and door are also minimally required. Then you have all of the lines and wiring looms that traverse the passenger side door area.

The owner of the repair facility and I discussed this car at length. He asked me what I thought the car was worth. I said that I would be interested at $40K - $50k and he remarked that this was almost exactly his assumption of fair market value as well.

Allegedly, the insurance companies have a means to place the car onto some kind of international board to advertise its condition and availability. I was told that the high-bid for this car was $95K. The repair shop owner and I were both certain an error had been made or perhaps an international buyer. (We speculated that maybe one of the race teams in Europe had bid on it.)

My opinion both then and now (and I am NOT an expert) is that this is a parts car and not a candidate for repair. When this was on Ebay before, the seller replied back to my inquirey stating that the reserve was $105K.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Yes, that cars been on ebay 2 or 3 times now.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Fractured frame member in one pic

M

Mark O

There were a boatload of tungsten cars built in '06. Good thing it wan't one of the rarer colors that got wrecked. :wink

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
"Allegedly, the insurance companies have a means to place the car onto some kind of international board to advertise its condition and availability. I was told that the high-bid for this car was $95K. The repair shop owner and I were both certain an error had been made or perhaps an international buyer. (We speculated that maybe one of the race teams in Europe had bid on it.)"

Got to love the depressed value of the dollar :frown. When the euro first came out we were getting 1.40 euro for every dollar exchanged during our yearly trips to Italy. Today you get .64 Euro for every dollar. The Europeans are having a field day with us on the exchange rate. But the economy is going to be just fine. :bs

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
This appears to be the Tungsten I helped to "broker" from Hawaii to L.A. In any event, a real shame.

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
Here's a little ebay history that I have on this particular VIN.

Item #

120133329500 T. Gray Honolulu, HI $197,995 (0861) USED No Sale 22-Jun 483 Miles

270235287462 T. Gray Maryville, IL $86,500 (0861) Salvage No Sale 13-May 2,253 Miles

230255052081 T. Gray Maryville, IL $69,000 (0861) Salvage No Sale 29-May 2,253 Miles

230257298553 T. Gray Maryville, IL $69,000 (0861) Salvage 5-Jun 2,253 Miles

It's really sad to think that this car is "gone" with only 2,253 miles on the clock. After all, it's traveled considerably more miles with the wheels not turning at all. :frown

JCE-GT Tungsten - 0187

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
well ... if it could be bought in the 50k range it might make a good donor for a race car project. New frame .... and a few mods.

Midengine-man

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Fractured frame member in one pic

But they said the damage was "not deep". Is anyone keeping a log by VIN with damage pics of the wrecks?? In the not too distant future, we will be asked, or will want to find out the extent of the damage on salvage titles. Eventually, uncrashed GT's will be rare.:confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, the GT director of SAAC has a list (CobraJeff)