Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Well done to all!!!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
If you can change an intake manifold you can swap out the blower.

I've already removed and reinstalled the stock blower once. (I swapped the stock pulley for a Heffner 2.7".)

The biggest pain is getting the new blower belt installed.

Yeah... I was wondering about the new belt. The Mafia thing is another unknown at this point.

Be sure to get a good tune for it.

I wasn't sure if I would need to have it tuned on a dyno or if I could have one of our reputible tuners send me a tune that had already been developed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Mafia is needed because a Whipple overflow the MAF voltage without one. Installing a Mafia is easy and is MUST be done in conjunction with a tune. Just click together some connectors. Shadowman has a nice alloy mounting bracket and a modified wiring harness that makes the installation appear like OEM, rather than an aftermarket addition. To change the belts you need to remove the oil pump belt and accessory belt first. Do yourself a favor and get some short stubby 1/4" drive Torx bits before removing the oil belt cover. A "canned" tune from someone with a lot of Whipple experience should be very close. Of course a dyno tune with the right tuner could improve it a bit, but is not necessary with a safe tune from a reputable source.

Aug 25, 2006
Congradulations !!!!

All the best

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Congratulations! Nice to see it find a good home. :usa

Thanks to DBK & Whipple for putting this effort together - :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Congratulations. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I've already removed and reinstalled the stock blower once. (I swapped the stock pulley for a Heffner 2.7".)

Yeah... I was wondering about the new belt. The Mafia thing is another unknown at this point.

I wasn't sure if I would need to have it tuned on a dyno or if I could have one of our reputible tuners send me a tune that had already been developed.

Congratulations and thank you Dennis at Whipple and Dave!
You are going to absolutely love the 4.0 Whipple. Just get a tuner with the 3 tunes from Torrie at unleashed tuning, (maybe an accufab also), and you will be set for whatever! You will get a great set of tunes from Whipple with your 4.0 - if it is the same set up I got and it will work very well. I had my car checked several times with the Whipple tune and it ran flawlessly and plugs showed the car was running perfect. Same with Torrie tunes, Torrie's tunes will take you to where the car is safe, strong, and effective! As long as you do not go past a 19 pulley, you will have a great set up without further mods. Just put it on, install the tune, and don't look back, except to see the competition in your mirror. :thumbsup
and thank you for your service!
salute.gif

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
CONGRATS WALDO!!!!! Now get it on before the rally :biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Outstanding!!

Waldo,

I am so happy to see our resident active duty Marine win this contest. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Congrats from a fellow Arizona GT pilot.

Chip

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
CONGRATS TO WALDO.......couldn't think of a better guy to win it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gino

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Waldo, I wish you were closer as it woud have been a pleasure to do a gratis install to complete this generous give-away from Whipple and the GT Forum. If you ever had a reason to transport your car to California - I'll make good on the install!!

However, if you've had the OEM SC on and off, then I would say that you have enough skills and knowledge to do the install and there's several of us here that would be quite happy to help you through any questions you may have. I would advocate that you get yourself an SCT Programmer, a MAFia Black Box, and a set of tunes for the Whipple. Torrie would be amoung the best to supply these to you and the insall of these will be absolutely painless. If you already have an SCT device, use it to remove the pulley tune that you have in your car now and then send the SCT to Torrie to get loaded with the Whipple tunes. The MAFia is trivial to mount. Two pieces of 3M gray double stick tape, and it can be "mounted" to the back side of the large crossmember in the engine bay. Plug the OEM MAF plug into the MAFia and then plug the MAFia into your MAF. Done. It is as simple as that.

As others have mentioned, perhaps the trickiest part is the belt situation as you need to remove the oil pump belt and the accessory belt in order to remove the blower belt and replace it with the new (longer) one from Whipple. I would have some advice/recommendations for you in removing, and subsequently properly tensioning the oil pump belt. PLEASE feel free to PM me as I can provide you a cell number where we can chat at anytime to convey these small pointers that can help you through the install.

Once again, congrats on winning this and thanks so much for your service to our great Country. (There's now proof that Bony can and does influence Dave's random number generator to get the most deserving winner!)

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
sweet! congratulations buddy, enjoy the new toy :)

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Kendall,

Thank you for the generous offer. If I decide to tackle the installation myself, I will definitely call for your advice on dealing with the belts.

I already have a SCT Livewire with Torrie's 2.7" pulley tune. I am very happy with his 2.7" pulley tune and was planning on giving him a call as this project progressed to discuss tuning options for the new supercharger.

(There's now proof that Bony can and does influence Dave's random number generator...)

I believe a more telling sign of Bony's "influence" is the outpouring of sincere congratulations and support from the members of this forum. Thank you, my friends, for your kind words.

Best Regards,
Waldo

P.S. Ray... I've got two superchargers now. I'm coming for you! :lol

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Waldo is in FTW !

You know I have you covered when needed my friend !

"Side note" thanks Apollo and Kendall for the thumbs up too.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations Waldo, and thanks to Dave and Whipple. Tomy

86blackwidow

Mar 10, 2008
Ventura,ca
Congradulations have fun with the new toy.

H

HHGT

Congrats Waldo. If you have not changed the tires to the Bridgestones, its probably time to do so. You'll be spinning Goodyears all day long.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
If you have not changed the tires to the Bridgestones, its probably time to do so. You'll be spinning Goodyears all day long.

As a matter of fact I was on the phone this afternoon tracking down a local shop that has a Hunter Road Force balancer and would match Tire Rack's prices.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
As a matter of fact I was on the phone this afternoon tracking down a local shop that has a Hunter Road Force balancer and would match Tire Rack's prices.

Smart man you can kiss traction goodbye for sure now :lol:lol:lol

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congrats!!!!