An alternative to a clear bra

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
I was thinking about doing a clear bra on my black 06 , but after thinking about it "what goes on must come off" my understanding is that after a few years when they are removed the paint luster is just never the same. I have a friend that works for Dupont and after grilling him for a hour or so he tells me it's very important that the modern paint breaths and has the ability to move with exspantion and contraction with heat conditions I had no Idea that paint (2 stage) is porous like skin but in the micro sence. Shadow man turned me on to a company that is called Speed Lingerie that makes a "glove" fit bra, so I ordered one to check it out. It is made of the best materials and is built to fit like a glove and will not scratch the paint. Now I like this alterantive for another reason. It is designed to fit with no wind flap, has heavy screens over the entire air intakes in the grill "no bugs in radiator"

So I can put it on, go where I have to go and pop it off when I get there, giving me total protection from rocks (clear Bra won't do that) and the nasty bugs in the radiator!!!

They custom make these with the proper color and stripe to macth all GT colors.....$800.00 bucks for a bra IMO well worth it for an alternative..

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
There is no magic bullet when trying to protect the front of your car from "road rash" or stone chips. I have had experience with both speed lingerie and the 3M clear guard. While there is no question tht Speed Lingerie makes a high quality product, in my opinon, the clear guard is the better option. All of the fabric bra's, including speed lingerie, can cause serious paint problems if left on the car when wet. Especially true on a black car when moisutre gets trapped between the fabric and the paint. My opinion. PD

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
No matter how well a bra is made, if dirt gets in there, or even light road dust, it will scratch the hell out of the paint. I would NEVER recommend a bra, even for my wife.:wink :lol

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
Point taken, I do not leave the bra on nor do I drive in the rain , its more like having a hat that can be removed after you park the car , I would never leave a bra on a car overnight, any thoughts about the issue of when you have to remove the clar bra after time in sun ect....? I understand its messy?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I also went with the SL Bra - and with a Black Car - knowing that I'll have to take it off and wipe it down if it gets wet.... ( yes Frank, I have listened to your advice).

Problem is that the Black front end shows every gnat, bug, sand or rock hit shows. Case in point - have you ever followed a GT ~ 80 MPH? The FGT acts like a hoover sucking up dirt/ rocks from all around and spitting the crap out of the diffuser! If the roads are bad think of it as a sand blaster! Ask Tiger 6

Another decision point for me is that my son has a Blk 2003 Cobra with the clear bra and after two years, it has orange peeled, is visible and will have to be replaced this year.

In summary the way I look at it is that after 3-4 years I'll have to have the nose painted with either the clear Bra or hopefully just have to buy a new bra..... Now I just need a weekend over 70 degrees to lay down 10 coats of Zaino, warm up the bra and dress the gal up!

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
Yep! they need to be warmed up before you can get the bras on , 60 degree weather forget it, its fit is too tight , I touged on that suker for an hour, I think if you use them to drive for the day then take it off clean the car and the bra...its a winning combo

Aug 25, 2006
I too have used the clear bra process for several years and over the last few I only had hand fit aka the condom approach used and it was wonderful. Typically I have the entire front fenders wrapped, the entire hood, and the nose and then secondary areas such as rockers, behind the rear wheels etc covered.

Now having shared this; I also used what many referred to as cloth bras many years ago on the Porsche’s with great success but they sort of fell out of vogue when the clear process was introduced and then perfected by IMO small groups.

Initially I had no interest in a cloth bra for the GT however as another Forum member knows the folks that do the clear bra for me were not available at the time so as what I expected to be a stop gap measure I had the team at Speed Lingerie specifically Paul and Scott ship me their second generation product; the second generation having a better securing process for the portion across the center of the hood/bonnet.

Now; once received mine I was impressed at the overall quality and remain confident that it will serve its designed purpose with no ill effects. However I also know “VERY” well that care needs to be taken so as not to install it dirty and equally important it must be removed IMO after every trip and “NEVER” used in the rain. Now they may solicit otherwise however my personal experience of years gone past proved that following the process that I do results in a damage free nose and no secondary paint concerns as the result of using the product.

If however you install it and it resided there month after month and even worse; if you traverse in the rain with in on all bets are off as the likelihood of superficial damage IMO is high.

IMO one of the greatest draw backs to the cloth bra is the mere fact that it must be put on and then taken off which in most cases will require planning in advance of using your gal and a few minute when done whereas with the clear bra she is always ….. locked and loaded …ready to play at a little more that a moments notice.

It is a very nice product but as with all others presented here; not for everyone. Now do I still consider the idea of having her nose wrapped in plastic; yes and yet will I; only time will tell.

All the best

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have a SL Bra in basic white, mine was the second one made and was sent back for modifications, since adjusted I am 100% happy.:thumbsup :biggrin :thumbsup

I have had 5 cars with the clear 3M and other products on them. Without fail when I took a stone the clear bra showed the damage, changed colors in the hot Fresno heat. This is the first year that I did not buy a new improved clear
bra for one of my cars.

I did buy the windshield film as part of the group buy, installed it exactly as the factory said, which as Brian pointed out, was with way to much water, and the end result looks like crap. Bo was supposed to do something for me, and never called back.:thumbsdow :confused :thumbsdow

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The Way To Go

Speed Lingerie.

BLACK BRA with BLACK MIRROR COVERS [kinda like mittens].

Is THE way to go.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I use the Speed Lingerie bra and found it to be excellent. I do not get the car wet though. If you get caught in the rain you are supposed to remove the bra and dry it before re-installing it. Once you have stretched it on, it comes off and goes back on easier. I bought some 3M stone guard for the rear area behind the wheels and the side scoop edge. I have not had time to put that on yet. I also bought the window cover but have not had time to put that on either. I went to Atlanta this weekend and took a rock chip in the windshield of the daily driver. Glad I was not in the GT. That's the second rock for me on the highway around here. One star and one little chip. BTW if you want a Speed Lingerie Bra and mirror covers, I can save you a hundred bucks or more over calling direct. PM me.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I just Googled the Lingerie Bra thing to see what you guys are putting on your cars....

kylie_minogue.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When I drive my gal I prefer that she wear either a clear bra, or none at at. When not driving she should wear a supportive bra to prevent front end from sagging.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
I just Googled the Lingerie Bra thing to see what you guys are putting on your cars....

kylie_minogue.jpg

This is exactly how mine arrived as such my sweetie knows nothing of this purchase

Shadownan

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Actually Neilda - here is a picture of Bony's "white" Bra

Attachments

• 120dddddddddddd.jpeg
    120dddddddddddd.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 168

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Damn! Now everyone in my office thinks I am a weird perv due to these pics.:wink :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've had my Speedlingerie bra on since last April. Have been caught in the rain half a dozen times. No scratches, marring or bad experiences. 1858, if you didn't order the mirror covers, you're missing the best part. Here in the heartland, the bugs are the problem, and the bra cures it. Sorry about you guys with weak colors that fade under a wet bra. Mine's been fine. Need to switch to red?

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Bony, What did speed lingerie do to adjust yours??? Mine tends to loosen at the plastic inserts that slide in right above the fans! thanks in advance, Patrick

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Oskie, call them up, get an RMA. They add a thicker plastic piece there and an additional piece for the grill. Free. Just ship it back. Took me a couple weeks to get it back all the way here in the Midwest.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oskie, call them up, get an RMA. They add a thicker plastic piece there and an additional piece for the grill. Free. Just ship it back. Took me a couple weeks to get it back all the way here in the Midwest.

Yep, I did the same.

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Thanks, Spirit and fjpikul, I believe I still have the original box. Appreciate the info. Patrick