Alternator problems?

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
Hey everyone! I just bought a new 2005 GT today. Has 9 miles on it, and my electronics were flickering. At the same time, my voltage gauge was at 0. Later, it suddenly returned to normal. I smelled a hot electronic smell after that. Seems like a loose connection, but I see none. I am going to take it in tommarrow. Any ideas or experiences about this?

Also, I hear a rattle/clanky like sound a the rear of the engine. It seems to come and go. I know this is vague...but any common thing happen here?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Sounds like a tranny rattle to me, which is normal, as was explained by my guide at Wixom as normal in a race tranny.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
trany rattle.....(?) I sure have none, and wonder about that. I have Colletti, Hewland transaxles on other toys with none of that, nor hard shifting, and they are non syncro boxes....

I notice if the battery is not fully charged the guages don't read.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
bonedoc said:
...my electronics were flickering. At the same time, my voltage gauge was at 0. Later, it suddenly returned to normal. I smelled a hot electronic smell after that. Seems like a loose connection, but I see none...
My car exhibited something similar. When I went to start it a few times, it was completely dead. Sometimes it would start later. When it wouldn't, I wiggled the battery cables a bit and it started. The cables did seem tight, so I thought it was a bad battery post. Took it to the dealer and a cable needed tightening, which they did. No more problems.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005

bonedoc said:
Hey everyone! I just bought a new 2005 GT today. Has 9 miles on it, and my electronics were flickering. At the same time, my voltage gauge was at 0. Later, it suddenly returned to normal. I smelled a hot electronic smell after that. Seems like a loose connection, but I see none. I am going to take it in tommarrow. Any ideas or experiences about this?

Also, I hear a rattle/clanky like sound a the rear of the engine. It seems to come and go. I know this is vague...but any common thing happen here?
&&&&&&&&&&&&& Sounds like a dirty battery cable connection or a shorted/sulfated battery . While the 2005 may be mileage-new it may be umpteen months old. I believe there has also been reports of 2005 batteries being bad from prolonged sitting and periodic starting