Air Conditioning Tip To Avoid Failure

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Guys-

I had a post recently about an air conditioning failure on my 2006.....car is driven pretty much weekly, usually twice a week....2800 miles total....I am in TX, so the AC gets used some....When it did not work at all (no cooling) I went in to the Dealer here in Dallas (Rodeo Ford) and the tech found that O rings had failed on the Accumulator....For what it is worth, I would turn the AC on for a little while EVERY TIME you fire up the car so as to lubricate said O rings, if you are not driving it almost daily.....Thanks to all that responded to my post with suggestions!

Griffbl

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
The same thing happened to my Heritage car last summer. Unfortunately it failed in Arizona before the rally. I had to drive it from AZ to Newport Beach, then to Las Vegas through Death Valley with virtually no A/C. When I got home they found the O-rings failed.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
OH NO! Not an "O" Ring blight or recall :bored

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I even run my a/c briefly in the winter months for the same reason. Worse thing you can do to any car is to not operate the major systems on a regular basis. Just ask anyone that has bought a "pristine" museum car.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I'm under the impression that the a/c compressor also runs when the heat is on to prevent dry seals... anyone know for sure?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
If I'm not mistaken, most cars, for the last 15-20 years at least, have a feature that cycles the A/C compressor when the defrost or heat/defrost setting is selected on the HVAC. Years ago, when there was the big Bruhaha about R-12 escaping into the air and a big rush to switch to R-134, (making some of My A/C equipment obsolete) it was incorporated to run the A/C compressor to keep the system seals lubricated.

Just remember, switch your heat control knob off defrost or heat/defrost when you don't need it. Your running the compressor and We know that it draws power and MPG. :thumbsup