Aftermarket wheels and tires

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I looking on the net I haven't found any other rear tires or wheels other than the ones that Ford sells with the GT. Are there any tires on the market that would be good for trackdays?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Centerpuch

The are the same as the GT's original equipment as far as manufacturer and model. Obviously the size is different. The C5 Z06 has smaller rears the C6 Z06 has larger rears.

But according to SVT the construction of the Goodyear tire for the GT is different than those used on the Z06. No they did not go further explaining what the difference is in construction.

Goodyear was supposed to release slicks this fall but obviously did not.

Dave

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That is what I feared. A car with only one type of tire that will fit it! It seem the same for the wheels too, but at least one can get custom size wheels.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Wake up call from Italy !

BlackICE said:
That is what I feared. A car with only one type of tire that will fit it! It seem the same for the wheels too, but at least one can get custom size wheels.

Wrong Boyz ! :lol

There are Pirelli Rosso corsa that fit and are kick ass tyres !!! Recently Sport auto compared the GT to the F430 and they say also the Pirellis are the way to go. These I already have in heavy dutuy use on my FStradale, and trust me, they kick butt once a little warmed upp :thumbsup
If you look at the Kinetic car on the Sema show, and the GTX for reference, they have Pirelli's mounted !!!
That is what I will mount on the optional BBS lightweight wheels for track day use, until something more serious is available.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Pirelli, ragazzi - here some kick ass measures

To help you get excited, here the measures
P zero Rosso I like best for track and handling, going one size up in the BBS'es to 19f/20r wheels!

(for whipple 3.3 charger fitted cars)
back tyres (20''): 345/25 ZR20TL 100Y.(nolbl) :biggrin
front 245/30 ZR19TL 89Y

Normal power back choices I think :
315/35 ZR20TL 106Y :thumbsup
or even
335/30 ZR20TL 104YN0 :thumbsup )should still fit & look &track massive torque

front:
245/40 ZR19TL 98Y(F) :thumbsup (best front choice !?)
or (tight tracking)
235/35 ZR19TL 87YN1 :thumbsup
235/35 ZR19TL 91Y
235/35 ZR19TL 91Y(1)

What ya all think !!??? :banana

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Stock 235/45 18" Front 315/40 19" rear.

245/40 19" are 12.25mm or about 1/2" shorter on the sidewall and with the 19" fronts would be perfect.

The 335/30 20" are about 1" shorter on the sidewalls with the 1" larger wheels would lower the car by 0.5". The 315/35 20" are 15.75mm or about 5" shorter on the sidewalls and with the 20" wheel would be about perfect.

But these choices would require custom wheels also. I don't know of any stock wheels with the correct offsets.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Kinetic car at SEMA

BlackICE said:
Stock 235/45 18" Front 315/40 19" rear.

245/40 19" are 12.25mm or about 1/2" shorter on the sidewall and with the 19" fronts would be perfect.

The 335/30 20" are about 1" shorter on the sidewalls with the 1" larger wheels would lower the car by 0.5". The 315/35 20" are 15.75mm or about 5" shorter on the sidewalls and with the 20" wheel would be about perfect.

But these choices would require custom wheels also. I don't know of any stock wheels with the correct offsets.

Anyone (like Bony or Dave@EFI) seen, photographed or remembers the Pirelli sizes they put on the Kinetic at Sema ? These wheels looked MASSIVE ! :banana ... Just what 1 of 101 wants for christmas, I know !

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
stefan, according to the car card for the Kinetic the fronts are BBS 9x18 and the rears 11.5X19 w/ 235 45 x18 fronts and 315 40 x 19

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Italian rubber

bony said:
stefan, according to the car card for the Kinetic the fronts are BBS 9x18 and the rears 11.5X19 w/ 235 45 x18 fronts and 315 40 x 19

Thanks Bony,
Surprises me a bit (is that also the writing on the Pirelli tyres?), they look so massive... Did they lower the car ? Or is it only the effect of painting the wheels..?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hello Stefan,
I emailed you the car card and a close up of the tires. They may have lowered the car, but with their aero pak it is hard to tell. I just read the review on those Pirelli's and they are as awesome as the Pirelli Calendar. :biggrin
Cheers,
daniel

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
The Ford GT engineer building concept targa chose Pirellis

When he designed the targa Ford GT for SEMA,Kip Ewing chose the Pirellis so unless he was under the gun to use parts fromas many SEMA members as possible on the car, I tend to think he chose what would have been his second choice for tires for the Ford GT.And I rode in the car and the tires seemed fine, though it made me a tad nervous when the car owner said that the wheels were experimental and untested. My theory is that Ford might not have wanted Pirelli because that would have meant having a Ford GT tested in Italy , a little too close to Ferrari ...besides Goodyear was willing to change the mix in the tire to suit Ford for a small market and Pirelli might not have been so willing because 4000 cars is too small unless you are in it for the publicity. Hey, I'm not in the tire biz,but I think Goodyear's selection was partly based on the fact they build a good tire and partly political. The Ford GT is supposed to be rah-rah American, and choosing Euro tires would be deviating from that a bit. I would have even liked to see an American transaxle but there was no American gearbox maker with the experience of Ricardo.