after 55k miles i need a new clutch

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
has any one replaced there clucth, how many man hrs, and what is the cost, can the clutch and parts be remanufactured.......

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
2-3 hours work for The GT Guys.
Stay with a new stock unit unless your pushing out more than 800hp.

Aug 25, 2006
has any one replaced there clucth, how many man hrs, and what is the cost, can the clutch and parts be remanufactured.......

First of all 55000 miles is a good number on a performance gal; in fact if she is exercised I would say very good.

As for associated cost to replace here is what I know.

As I recall the OEM assembly aka clutches, pressure plate, friction disk, and flywheel are approximately $2500; now add to this the fact that your gal has 55000 miles on her I would also replace he throw-out bearing and then the labor time to remove and replace is 2-3 hours for The GT Guys however I suspect for most it would be more like 6-8 hours times the local hourly labor rate. I would expect that a turnkey cost would be in the $4500.00 range. BTW this cost estimte would be based on my expectation of dealer cost.

Yes there are alternatives but I would have to seriously consider whether it is worth the risk for a less than pleasant pedal feel and or engagement process. Most secondary clutch offerings are more aggressive and when I consider the service life that you experienced with your OEM clutch I think that I would seriously consider simply installing a new OEM replacement.

In any case it would appear that you truly enjoy and exercise your gal and for that I commend you

All the best

Shadowman

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
From the SVTperformance forum:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416035

"Just got finished working on a GT....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, this was a customers car.

it needs a clutch. Man, you have to take alot off this car to get to the clutch!!

Anyway, the tech just got done and asked the service advisor how much the total came to:

Parts+20Hr Labor=$4802.94

SWEET JESUS!"

For that price hire and fly the GT guys to do it! :cheers

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I think that is a record! 55000 miles is a whole lotta miles. Glad to see you enjoying your GT. :cheers

Shoman594

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Interesting point, who has the most miles on a GT?

Aug 25, 2006
Interesting point, who has the most miles on a GT?

This maybe the one; for example the initial GTX-1 which is for sale has 53000

Takes care

Shadowman

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
55k miles-not bad. Just think, if you had a Lambo you would be on your 4th or 5th clutch, assuming the rest of the car lasted long enough to go 55k miles.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Yes, plus each of those 4-5 Lambo clutch replacements would definitely NOT cost $4,000-$5,000.

If the deal with GT clutches is a replacement about every 50K for around $5K...

Damn! These cars just keep getting better the more I learn about them!! :banana

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i was just curious does anybody know if this 55,000 mile car or the 53,000 mile car have ever had any problems with their halfshaft bolts? obviously if they are still on their original halfshaft bolts then it would be safe to say that these 2 cars in particular will more than likely never have a problem with them.

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
i was just curious does anybody know if this 55,000 mile car or the 53,000 mile car have ever had any problems with their halfshaft bolts? obviously if they are still on their original halfshaft bolts then it would be safe to say that these 2 cars in particular will more than likely never have a problem with them.

We have all seen how the 53,000 car has been driven so if he has not had problems then you have a point.:thumbsup

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I had my Ford dealer replace mine about a year ago. If I remember right, it cost about $3500 total.