Accufab X-pipe drone

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Hi all... I just installed the Accufab X-pipe. It sounds wicked and really nice from outside the car.

To me it is how this car should have sounded from the beginning.

From the inside things are not so positive. Whilst I love the sound when I step on it and I am past 3k I have noticed a dreadful drone at around 2k up until 2,400rpm.

It happens when on the gas (even in 6th gear mantaining gas to cruise at 80mph) whilst if I lift it goes away.

It feels like there is a resonance and the inside booms quite loudly. It is not pleasant.

All in all I am fairly happy even though I will see how it goes in the next months... After all I drive the GT every day.. and although I love it by myself I really have to shout when in a conversation with a passenger...

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I get the same on mine. You do get used to it, but I admit it's a bit of a shock compared with standard.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
it is a frequency drone. If you heat wrap the pipe the drone disappears also slightly changes the pitch of the exhaust out the back in a mellow way.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
DP thanks for the tip... did you do it yourself? Do you have a pic? I guess I should just wrap the pipe that goes from the cats to the X joint?

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
you mean using these?

Attachments

• heatwrap.jpg
    heatwrap.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 264

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The sound level in the cabin definitely went up when I installed the X-Pipe but I wouldn't call it a drone. We do have to speak a little louder now but that's the price you pay for louder exhaust.

I consider it well worthwhile.:thumbsup

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The sound level in the cabin definitely went up when I installed the X-Pipe but I wouldn't call it a drone. We do have to speak a little louder now but that's the price you pay for louder exhaust.

+1

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I had the same drone with my IDA catback. I contacted 'Shadowman' and he made me some baffles that insert into the tips and are held in by one button screw that made a world of difference with the in-cabin drone. Before, I just couldn't stand it and my ears would ring after a long trip. Not now. I also wrapped the catback with black header wrap at the same time so not sure if it helped as well but I knew it couldn't hurt.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

I agree. I like the modifcation, and find it still very easy to talk with passengers. Definitely worth it overall.

Is it possible that the resonance you are experiencing is triggering something additional to vibrate inside your cabin?

I have a mild resonance at a specific and narrower rpm range, but it's not something that many would really notice. Sounds like you have something else going on.

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
the name of the wrap that I have used is thermo-tec. The heritage car I did not do but itsonlymoney has done his with great results. I did my lotus and will do the next gt if it is not done when the turbo's go on.

baffles are an option but I would try the wrap first since it also cuts the heat under the clam. Wrap the headers and the x-pipe but do not wrap the cats as I have been told by more than one auto-tuner that I respect that it is a no-no. Exactly why I could not tell you as my mind is swiss-cheese still but a beer or two and a few hours of car talk would likely jar my mind. :biggrin

sorry could not be more helpful.

S

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have the same X Pipe setup and didn't like the drone in the beginning but once I learn to drive in a lower gear when the car hits 80 then the drone goes away and the car becomes so responsive in 5th or even 4th, it is just like having the lower final drive ratio gear.