ABS computer and CAN BUS link to ECU

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Does anyone on the Forum have a working knowledge of the FORD GT ABS system and if some messages sent by the ABS through the CAN BUS to the ECU can be ignored by software modification at the ECU. I am also wondering if the ABS computer can be reprogrammed to alter acceptable tone wheel frequency ranges.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Traction control systems are available. BlackIce probsbly has what you want, and Shadowman has the hardware knowledge.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Frank don't think he wants TC but to modify the operation of the ABS box to allow operation outside of OEM specs. Such as running a different sizes front to rear wheels. I don't know anything about the CANbus msg going between the two units, but I would suspect that it is only used to relay operational status from the ABS to the ECU and not for the ECU to change the operation of the ABS.

If you want to run way different wheel diameter one way would be to make a "black box" that takes the wheels sensor inputs and rescales them and outputs modified signals to the ABS controller. I won't say I recommend this as this less reliable than OEM in a area where you want the most reliability.

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Frank don't think he wants TC but to modify the operation of the ABS box to allow operation outside of OEM specs. Such as running a different sizes front to rear wheels. I don't know anything about the CANbus msg going between the two units, but I would suspect that it is only used to relay operational status from the ABS to the ECU and not for the ECU to change the operation of the ABS.

If you want to run way different wheel diameter one way would be to make a "black box" that takes the wheels sensor inputs and rescales them and outputs modified signals to the ABS controller. I won't say I recommend this as this less reliable than OEM in a area where you want the most reliability.

I am told that they use this approach with GT3 Porches using a Motec dash to modify the CAN BUS signals between ECU and ABS in both directions. I am going to do the math to determine if I could build new tone wheels to avoid an electronic solution but am not holding my breath.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you have a Canbus monitor you can spend the time to decypher the messages to see what is going on. On way to start would be to capture messages with the ABS controller connected and then without it and look at the differences.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
If you have a Canbus monitor you can spend the time to decypher the messages to see what is going on. On way to start would be to capture messages with the ABS controller connected and then without it and look at the differences.
Good suggestion, I might be able to get some help from industry friends to decode data, I believe it is all in hex and I have some equipment that could record it in real time. One problem is that Hoosier tires, down force and Carbo tech brake pads decelerate the car faster than the look up table thinks is possible, we then go signaling an abs problem.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I figured he didn't really want TC, but you would be able to steer him in the right direction Ice. Cobra, FYI, StormCat has futzed a considerable amount with wheels and brakes and I believe he decided not to alter the ABS. You might send him a PM to get his thoughts, but there was considerable time and effort on his part and his brake system and wheels are outstanding.