Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
He is a hero in his own right

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
There is a special place in heaven for Larry?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have watched the Sunday Morning Show With Charles Kuralt since the morning it appeared. I have my coffee and Sunday Paper. Now I call it the "Sunday Morning Show without Charles Kuralt". As all the networks are liberal I tend to tune out some of the stuff, but it's segments like these (and they still happen) that have kept me tuned in for what now 30 years?

This reminded me of this:

and this

The photos are from a horrific but wonderful series from the Rocky Mountain News titled Final Salute. It is about Major Steve Beck (now Colonel) who was the "knock on the door" guy Marine stationed at Buckley Air Force Base (yes, a Marine deployment with the fly boys). A wonderful writer named Jim Sheeler wrote this and got a Pulitzer. The first picture won a Pulitzer prize for Todd Heisler. (It may have been the only material that has gotten multiple Pulitzers.)

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Salute-...F8&qid=1374278554&sr=8-1&keywords=jim+sheeler

The Rocky Mountain News staff did some wonderful work, among them two more series that were Pulitzer class. They got prizes for the wildfires and the Columbine event. I got personally involved in another called "The Crossing" about a 1961 school bus accident that killed 20 children.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Here is a write up about the images from a year ago Memorial day. A pretty moving letter about an awfully moving couple if images:

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...nears-a-single-image-that-continues-to-haunt/

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here is a write up about the images from a year ago Memorial day. A pretty moving letter about an awfully moving couple if images:

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...nears-a-single-image-that-continues-to-haunt/

Its almost creepy that the author chose the same two photos out of all those in the series.

You have to read it to get the full impact. His casket was at the funeral home and the Marines were there to do their duty. She said she wanted to stay the night (she is playing music on the laptop). She was asked if she wanted the Honor Guard to remain and her answer was they they should stand their guard. They made her a bed from (as I recall) an air mattress and some blankets.

She had their child and has since remarried.

Sheeler did a follow up article about a Native American (Lakota Sioux). The photos and writing were equally impressive.

The Rocky died during the newspaper wars of the 90s and early 2000s. They were "merged" with the Denver Post under a "Joint Operating Agreement" (this was done in several cities, including Phoenix). The JOA gave them both a daily M-F, the Rocky on Saturday and the Post on Sunday. The Rocky continued their tabloid format M-F but did broadsheet (traditional newspaper) on Saturday. Eventually the circulation of the Rocky couldn't be supported and the joint holding company ceased publication. The Post continues, but is a mere shell of itself.

If anyone wants the whole series I'd put it on a CD and send it. I may be the only one remaining that has it all. I also kept The Crossing.

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
BTW Ralphie, I wasn't trying to thread steal. The CBS story is really moving as well.

Tony, I would like to see the whole series if you could post it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
BTW Ralphie, I wasn't trying to thread steal. The CBS story is really moving as well.

Tony, I would like to see the whole series if you could post it.

Let me try... It's 14 pdf files. If I get it up here maybe Google will find it and restore it to the web. It's an important piece of journalism that shouldn't disappear because the newspaper went down.

Can we post .pdf files here?

Edit: We cannot and I do not have a persistent place to put them up. PM me with your address and I will send you a CD. Or if you can take 10MB+ in email your email address.

Last edited:

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Wow, thanks for sharing.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Definition of "patriot"!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010