A newly discovered rattle - may be the same snake?

H

HHGT

Just as I fixed the rattle snake noises (I think!) I go out for a Saturday morning Pre-Caffiene run. I drove it easy and let the all the liquids warm up nicely. Made an illegal U turn - on a side street - in front of a young Police Officer ( No ticket and a Thumbs Up) and then parked in front of Marie Calendars ( A SoCal restaurant chain ) - took three spots and walked backwards half the way to Starbucks ( adjacent parking lot ) as I admire this beautiful car while I pinch myself.

I come back and as I approach the rear side of the car - in my opinion the most exotic hips on a car EVER! - and bask in our SoCal morning sun of 72 degrees - it's only 8:00 a.m. I opened the clamshell and went about my usual routine to check everything was in order, finished my coffee and closed the clamshell and WTF another rattle. So I go re-open and re-close the clamshell, repeatedly. I wonder what the people at Starbucks were thinking - but who gives 2 craps.

Couldn't figure it out on my own, so I drove to my buddies house and found out where it was coming from. Now may I add, that on the drive over, a STRONG rattle snake noise was evident on extreme acceleration. Well, we opened the clamshell and I stood behind the car - still admiring those hips - and I heard it loud and clear. In a few seconds we figured out where it was coming from!

On the driver side, where the accufab triangular flange meets the catback flange there is a bracket that runs across to the other side, and is bolted to the rear of the transaxle. There is a two bolt bracket (there is one on both sides of the car) that is welded on an "L" shape approx 1x2 inch (stainless steel I think!) in size. The welds have seperated and you can actually move it forward with little effort. I put a small piece of rubber hose where the weld is broken and go for a test drive - GUESS WHATT? THE RATTLES ARE COMPLETELY GONE!

Okay, I have updated with pictures - see below!!

It does appear that it is a Ford supplied bracket and not an Accufab component though. My dilemma is; can this be welded without taking the Accufab off? Anyone else experience this?

Sam

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't have that rattle but would appreciate seeing the photos....

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've been noticing a high frequency vibration at higher rpm's and I have an Accufab also. I'll check the welds on mine. Thanks for the info.

Neilda said:
I don't have that rattle but would appreciate seeing the photos....

Ditto,

JT

H

HHGT

Attached images

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for those.....

H

HHGT

Common guys, has any one else checked?

You guys with Accufab installs please report back!

I am trying to determine if it is Accufab caused or a Ford quality issue....

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
HHGT said:
Common guys, has any one else checked?

You guys with Accufab installs please report back!

I am trying to determine if it is Accufab caused or a Ford quality issue....
I am not 100% sure (as I do not have the Accufab pipes) but if I am not mistaken, I believe that the broken piece is a support that comes with the Accufab pipes - not a Ford piece.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I have a whole new series of rattles, creeks and clunks, too many to get into here. Even worse, I parked the car for about 2 months out of frustration only to drive it and find all these new noises! BUT I STILL LOVE THE CAR! Cooler temps in S. Florida = wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sam,

In the first picture, your finger is on a curved piece of metal that runs across the back of the car and has attachment points to the transaxle in the center. That is a stock piece and it looks like it has not been modified. The piece that broke is an "L"-shaped piece that makes an attachment between this factory bracket and the Accufab at the connection to the cats. This "L"-shaped piece (the piece that broke) is furnished by Accufab.

The intent of the factory curved bracket is to carry the weight of the muffler. From you picture, the flat piece is not going to provide much support - even when it is not broken. Minimally, it would seem that it should have a gusset in it so that it can, in fact carry some of the muffler weight. Although significantly lighter than stock, the Accufab looks like it is counting on the ball-clamps on the front side of the cats to support it. Those ball clamps now are supporting the entire length of the cats as well as the Accufab?? (I'm just going by your pictures.)

In answer to your question, the bracket can probably be easily removed and re-welded but I'd be thinking about a better support for the muffler.

In contrast, here's Heffner's design. You can see that the weight of the both the muffler and the end of the cat is carried by the factory curved bracket....

CIMG1658.JPG

CIMG1680.JPG

H

HHGT

nota4re said:
Sam,

In the first picture, your finger is on a curved piece of metal that runs across the back of the car and has attachment points to the transaxle in the center. That is a stock piece and it looks like it has not been modified. The piece that broke is an "L"-shaped piece that makes an attachment between this factory bracket and the Accufab at the connection to the cats. This "L"-shaped piece (the piece that broke) is furnished by Accufab.

The intent of the factory curved bracket is to carry the weight of the muffler. From you picture, the flat piece is not going to provide much support - even when it is not broken. Minimally, it would seem that it should have a gusset in it so that it can, in fact carry some of the muffler weight. Although significantly lighter than stock, the Accufab looks like it is counting on the ball-clamps on the front side of the cats to support it. Those ball clamps now are supporting the entire length of the cats as well as the Accufab?? (I'm just going by your pictures.)

In answer to your question, the bracket can probably be easily removed and re-welded but I'd be thinking about a better support for the muffler.

In contrast, here's Heffner's design. You can see that the weight of the both the muffler and the end of the cat is carried by the factory curved bracket....

CIMG1658.JPG

CIMG1680.JPG

Thanks Ken. I'll call John at Accufab and see what he wants to do about this.