A memorable day

GTMark

GT Owner
Apr 10, 2006
I waited for the call ..... the car has arrived ... come and get it!
Since seeing the advert for the GT during the Superbowl a couple of years ago - I had to have it. I'd always promised myself a Ferrari and when I saw the F430 I thought that's the car. But when I learnt about the heritage of the 60s triumph and the stunning recreation that is the Ford GT I changed my view.
I arrived at the dealer today and saw the car - Tungsten grey with the stripes, grey calipers- stunning first impressions the color really showing off the volumptious curves of the car. It was a real sense of occasion at the dealer as customers looked on slack jawed as the car was fired up and backed out of the show room. I gingerly joined the highway traffic a little nervous about finding the right gears. After a few minutes it was all very comfortable. My daily drive is a 911 Targa and the revs are always kept at 3000+ where the power is. The GT is remarkably quite around 2000 rpm. There must be a few more decibels than the Porsche once above 2200 because I tend to change up on engine sound and found myself changing up in the GT and never getting to 3000+. In any case there was amazing torque. Once I was confident I squeezed the trigger a little more and boom - Oh........my........God. Incredible!
I intended to drive it home and garage it - maybe bring it out again next weekend. No way, I was back out in it within 10 minutes and drove around for a couple of hours. There was an amazing reaction of people, a kind of outpouring of goodwill - thumbs up from passing cars - a man cameout of a restaurant and started bowing down - amazing.
The build quality seems very good - no big gaps in the panels everything appears tight. The gear shifts very smoothly with no notchiness at all. Once you get used to the gears self centering between 3rd and 4th change ups from 2nd to 3rd is simply a matter of pushing the stick forward and letting it click into center and then forward - 3rd to 4th is straight back no need to guide the changes. There was only one concern a very slight burnt smell - hopefully just some fluid evaporating somewhere. Overall incredible first impression - not a good car - a great car.
By coincidence my DVD order for Discovery Channel's Rebuilding a race car legend arrived today - after finally and reluctantly getting out of the car for the this evening I watched the DVD. A perfect end to a memorable day.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Mine had the burnt smell too

Picked mine up today also.....good luck!!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Glad you guys joined the clan.

Enjoy, be careful, and don't hit your head (if you already have, never mind :biggrin )

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
That smell is normal and will go away after a few hours of driving.

Enjoy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Congratulations Mark :cheers

Enjoy it!

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
superb

enjoy :banana :banana :banana

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Rong said:
Picked mine up today also.....good luck!!

Rong- What color did you get?

GTMark

GT Owner
Apr 10, 2006
Vince, Picking up the GT from the dealer is like buying any other car - except you or the dealer needs a camera to catch the excitement. Once on the road take it easy until you are comfortable. No one minds you going a bit slow everyone wants to get a look anyway. That's the main issue - cars surrounding you - watch out for cars in the blind spot when you change lanes. I recommend glancing in your mirrors more often than you would normally to keep track of whats behind. When it looks clear to change lanes just give her a bit of gas before starting to edge into the next lane, that way if someone is tracking in your blind spot you leave them at a safe distance behind.
Biggest problem on day 2 is I couldn't leave the car alone. I used every excuse to get out - must have made 5 different runs to the shops to buy hardly needed items and of course took a very long route to get there. What suprises me most is people's reaction. I'm a Brit and back in the UK there is often a resentment that greets drivers of exotics. But here most people seem thrilled to see the car and many know the heritage.
Enjoy - I look forward to hearing your experiences. As Allan said on an earlier posting - write down your experience straight away, you'll probably be slightly in awe and more peotic than you would normally be !!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Congratulations GTMark and Rong! :cheers

Pipelion

dbtgt said:
Congratulations GTMark and Rong! :cheers

Ditto, nothing rong with buying Ford GTs :cheers :cheers .

Allan

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
congrats

Just took delivery of my tungsten w/stripes (see "new gt purchase story") also! I'm happy for you, you sound very appreciative of the fact that you now own one of the coolest cars on the planet! Best of luck and drive it in good health...Dan
P.S. Loosen the motor up right, no high rpm's or big time launches!!! Your patience will be worth it... :cheers