A little bit of a horror story...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Guess lesson learned is not to close doors when battery is non functional...

'Door should still open 'manually' by using the key as I recall. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Guess lesson learned is not to close doors when battery is non functional

'Door should still open 'manually' by using the key as I recall. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Door will open manually with the key. Or you could leave the window open if doing something with the key in the car. That way you can reach in and open using interior latch.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Do not use Optima: Good Advise !

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Hmmm. When do you give up on Optima? My original is still strong.

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
Door will open manually with the key. Or you could leave the window open if doing something with the key in the car. That way you can reach in and open using interior latch.

Positive. Just that second key might be a couple of hours away to retrieve, window down is a very good idea but wasn't thinking very straight when I saw all gauges toasted!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I recently locked my Keys in the trunk!My wife had to drive 2 hours to get my extra key! She was bummed .I had to reward her by making dinner .The worst part was I got stuck in a torrential down pour on the way home .I was on used Hoosiers and no wipers!It was probably my most scary experience in a car.When I got home I ordered some new Bridgestone Potenza's for my GT and put a wiper in the trunk.Of course now I have no trunk space! Just wanted to let you know your not the only one to lock your keys in your car!But I will say the Bridgestones ride quality is far superior to the Hoosiers for street use.The last time I had street tires on the car was 2006!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hmmm. When do you give up on Optima? My original is still strong.

I replaced the Optimas on both of mine (with Diehards). Both were working just fine - but especially after reading all the posts here - 7 years seemed long enough. I keep them charged with a Cooltech charger.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I recently locked my Keys in the trunk!My wife had to drive 2 hours to get my extra key! She was bummed .I had to reward her by making dinner .The worst part was I got stuck in a torrential down pour on the way home .I was on used Hoosiers and no wipers!It was probably my most scary experience in a car.When I got home I ordered some new Bridgestone Potenza's for my GT and put a wiper in the trunk.Of course now I have no trunk space! Just wanted to let you know your not the only one to lock your keys in your car!But I will say the Bridgestones ride quality is far superior to the Hoosiers for street use.The last time I had street tires on the car was 2006!

Back in '07, I did the same - at the track at Laguna Seca, and spare key was locked in my bag in the passenger seat. :facepalm:

Called a locksmith, but he couldn't open it up, so after 2½ hours of trying he gave up. I had him take me to the Monterey airport, rented a car and drove to Mammoth (290 miles - arrriving 2:00 am). I slept for 2 hours, pocketed my extra access key,

View attachment 26033

and drove back to Monterey, opened the luggage compartment and there was the key fob on the air screen, I turned in the rental ($40), and drove home - 870 miles driven and little sleep for a stupid mistake! Now I never drive the GT without putting that access key in my pants pocket.

PS - whenever required to use valet parking, I always have the valet ride with me to where the car is parked, and I then give him the access key - it won't start the car, just will unlock it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ralph,
Thank you for that story! I don't feel so bad now!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, ha, engineers!

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
An old time mechanic that had been twisting wrenches for over 50 years once told me ... before he began working on any car, he rolled down the driver's side window. That's good advice that I've followed ever since as it makes it impossible to not be able to retrieve your key should you inadvertently hit the door lock.

usmcfred

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
enrico
Rocketman and RALPHIE Sorry guys but your stories about the keys gives me a good laugh.
This thread is really enjoying to read!

;)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Took out the car this morning for work, was on its biweekly round to keep all the bits working. Started out all fine then the check engine light comes out, so I take out the obdkey just to check that it is the o2 sensor on the catback, no code found.

I stop to refuel, so far so good, get back in the car and things get interesting. Insert keys sounds and lightt first are normal then all gauges go banana (tach at 6 o clock), dash light act weird and no ignition. Odo disappears and then reset.

First thing I try is to disconnect battery for a reset, after having found the tools I manage to do it, leave the key inside the car on ignition open (to have all circuit open) and then very smartly close the door... So I am looked out with my other cars keys, wallet, house keys all inside. After 3 hours of calls and some very helpful friend that come to watch out for the car (in the middle of the street but with keys on ignition... Not very nice) I manage to get to the second house key, then to the second car keys and finally unlock the car.

Tried to restart it afterwards, at the beginning some strange bells but no Cranking, after second attempt nothing at all, just odometer works and door mechanism. All the rest is fried. Checked fuses but they seem fine.

After 4 hour and a stressfull morning I am now waiting for a trailer to roush, any clues of what could have happened? I have a very nasty feeling that I am due for a 5k gauge replacement at least (or speedhut) plus a new ecu?

A few UK owners incurred major electrical gremlins due to the after market UK required theft tracking system. If I recall this was the reason Jeremy Clarkson got rid of his GT. I know someone else had a major problem and reported it here. Do a search and you may find it.. good luck.

Last edited: