May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
October 28th 2006

Mr. Mick Walsh
Editor in Chief
Classis & Sportscar Magazine
Teddington, UK.

Dear Mr. Walsh,

I usually like your column. Not this month. I write to take exception to your Ford GT piece in your “From the Cockpit” column in the October issue. Sadly, your glib assessment of the GT really misses the whole point of the car – and throws mud in the eye of a wonderful build team. In today’s risk averse world, this car was a major success, boldly created by a group of real enthusiasts and engineers. Regular car-guy and gal folk. Not Formula 1 automotive aristocrats. This car was conceived, designed and built from concept to reality in an unheard of short few years. The result was stunning. Stunning to look at, stunning to drive and a modern day American icon – paying deference to American ingenuity.

To compare the Ford GT to the $1.2 million dollar McLaren Supercar is a farce – with a very obvious pro-British bent. Yes the McLaren is a fabulous car – but you could have seven Ford GT’s for that kind of money and buy enough insurance to last a lifetime on all of them with the change.

Come on, McLaren didn’t even use their own engine! Ready made “drop in” from BMW. Right? Just like the Morgan Aero! Gordon Murray - the South African - I believe did the design work. What our guys did with a “truck engine” and a good parts list is remarkable. Please give credit where credit is due. This car was built with heart and soul and that comes through every push of the starter button, every rev and every bit of steering feedback.

Sadly, the Ford GT wasn’t designed for the narrow, crowded streets of London, Paris or Rome – that’s why you only got 128 of them. So to judge it on it's European traffic merits is’nt fair. Suggest you look into a Mini Cooper.

The GT is not a “European Car” but an American “tip of the hat” to the brilliant English AND American team that created the original. A standing ovation to Mr. Eric Broadly’s brilliant work – with the help of Carol Shelby. Don’t look at her as European – but as a sexy, shapely American – wearing blue jeans and pearls. She’d be just as comfortable at an oyster roast as fine dining at Sardi’s. And did I mention low maintenance? She's a gem - and we're darn proud of her.

Gordon King
Folly Beach,
South Carolina, USA.
GT Owner
Heritage # 1263

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Very nice Gordon but they will have fun with Folly Beach.

Dave

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
FB GT40 said:
October 28th 2006

Mr. Mick Walsh
Editor in Chief
Classis & Sportscar Magazine
Teddington, UK.

Dear Mr. Walsh,

I usually like your column. Not this month. I write to take exception to your Ford GT piece in your “From the Cockpit” column in the October issue. Sadly, your glib assessment of the GT really misses the whole point of the car – and throws mud in the eye of a wonderful build team. In today’s risk averse world, this car was a major success, boldly created by a group of real enthusiasts and engineers. Regular car-guy and gal folk. Not Formula 1 automotive aristocrats. This car was conceived, designed and built from concept to reality in an unheard of short few years. The result was stunning. Stunning to look at, stunning to drive and a modern day American icon – paying deference to American ingenuity.

To compare the Ford GT to the $1.2 million dollar McLaren Supercar is a farce – with a very obvious pro-British bent. Yes the McLaren is a fabulous car – but you could have seven Ford GT’s for that kind of money and buy enough insurance to last a lifetime on all of them with the change.

Come on, McLaren didn’t even use their own engine! Ready made “drop in” from BMW. Right? Just like the Morgan Aero! Gordon Murray - the South African - I believe did the design work. What our guys did with a “truck engine” and a good parts list is remarkable. Please give credit where credit is due. This car was built with heart and soul and that comes through every push of the starter button, every rev and every bit of steering feedback.

Sadly, the Ford GT wasn’t designed for the narrow, crowded streets of London, Paris or Rome – that’s why you only got 128 of them. So to judge it on it's European traffic merits is’nt fair. Suggest you look into a Mini Cooper.

The GT is not a “European Car” but an American “tip of the hat” to the brilliant English AND American team that created the original. A standing ovation to Mr. Eric Broadly’s brilliant work – with the help of Carol Shelby. Don’t look at her as European – but as a sexy, shapely American – wearing blue jeans and pearls. She’d be just as comfortable at an oyster roast as fine dining at Sardi’s. And did I mention low maintenance? She's a gem - and we're darn proud of her.

Gordon King
Folly Beach,
South Carolina, USA.
GT Owner
Heritage # 1263
Great response---the article was typical Brit snobbery! Jeremy Clark is our man on the isle---at least he loves it and is not afraid to say so.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Having owned way to many british cars: CONCLUSION , THE INBREEDING ON THAT ISLAND HAS HIT EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!! :biggrin at least princess di slept with the landscaper to break the look up a little ,AND THE THINKING :biggrin GTJOEY 1314 . THE ARTICLE WAS JUST DUMB.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
css 290 said:
Great response---the article was typical Brit snobbery! Jeremy Clark is our man on the isle---at least he loves it and is not afraid to say so.
Jeremy Clarkson is his correct name, for the record. Also known as JC... :wink

gtracer

GT Owner
Oct 13, 2006
Homer Glen, IL.
Well said Gordon, thanks

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That should stir them up a bit!

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
I liked the mini cooper part the best!

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Tip of the Hat to Gordon

Great style well said old boy Whats the word on the African GT 40 ? They looked great at Pebble

M

Mark O

gtjoey said:
THE INBREEDING ON THAT ISLAND HAS HIT EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!!

Not to mention those nasty teeth. :biggrin

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Gt 40

Quote: "Whats the word on the African GT 40"

John, it's just about done. I pick it up in two weeks. Have booked some track time to get the feel of it. I'll post some pix from deepest, darkest, Africa!

Gordo.

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Gt 40

Can't wait to see the photo's

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
masterfully written gordo!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thank you for standing up for what really makes a GT a "GT". The men and women, passion, creativity, ingenuity, and drive that made the car a reality!!!!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
By the way, I give Bony's new avatar a 6 out of 10, his old one was much better!! I say bring her back! :banana