A fun GT/GT40 day

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ooooohhh that would be off the chart! Please make that happen.

Vince H

Wait until Rally 10. The chart is going to break. :lol

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Wait until Rally 10. The chart is going to break. :lol

With you Dave, I believe it. I'm there.

Vince H

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
BTW, for those not familiar, if you want to read about some ofGurney's accomplishments, they're remarkable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gurney

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I wonder if it was painted Ferrari Red?

The 1967 Mark IV's were painted in the colors of the Ford vehicles of that year. So, for 1967, the code of the red color was PPG Ditzler 71528 and that year was called Candyapple Red.

View attachment 36012

View attachment 36013

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I was just teasing the red GT owners.

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
The Gulf car is owned by Rob Walton ( P1075) I think one of the most famous and beautiful GT 40' s ever

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Way cool Dave!
And thanks Cobrar for your involvement as well. Should be a great Rally X.....!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That is great that they are parked together, have seen them both several times, but not together. Hopefully they will still be for my next trip to Dearborn.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The 1967 Mark IV's were painted in the colors of the Ford vehicles of that year. So, for 1967, the code of the red color was PPG Ditzler 71528 and that year was called Candyapple Red.

View attachment 36012

View attachment 36013

Very cool to see the chart!! Just a couple of summers ago I found out about Ford utilizing production vehicle colors as painted on the GT40's. Mose Nowland shared this as his team had just completed restoration of the Mk2 GT40 that now resides in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. That chassis/livery was/is painted 'burnt amber' with a day-glo green mask around the headlights.

Painting the GT's in production colors probably has roots in Hank the Deuce's literal interpretation of: 'Win on Sunday, Buy on Monday'. At least you could get a production Ford in the same color. But given the strength/creativity of the finance function at Ford, more likely has some foundation in collateralizing (racing) marketing costs for tax treatment. :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Painting the GT's in production colors probably has roots in Hank the Deuce's literal interpretation of: 'Win on Sunday, Buy on Monday'. At least you could get a production Ford in the same color....

In all the excerpts and articles that I have ever read, this was the reason that Ford painted the cars in the production colors, instead of the "assigned country color" of blue on white, or white on blue. The outreach of Ford to the public at that time was "Total Performance."

View attachment 36014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_auto_racing_colors

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
great thread..... RX!

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
My wife and I were very fortunate to have been invited to and attend the excellent Dan Gurney dinner at the Henry Ford October 29. Rose's interview with Gurney was fascinating. For me, though, the other high point was seeing the '67 Le Mans winning GT40 as it should look after its unfortunate incident at the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
For me, though, the other high point was seeing the '67 Le Mans winning GT40 as it should look after its unfortunate incident at the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

And here is a video of the GT40MKIV (some good photos) and some of the supporting cast. :thumbsup

[video=youtube;xc9iBgAfJrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUBLySJQLtBIEZGDKKYEqTUA&v=xc9iBgAfJrg[/video]

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
'Lessons Learned' - GT40 - Edsel II & Mose:

[video=youtube;a4sc0avbcJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4sc0avbcJU[/video]

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Excellent videos. Thanks for posting!

-GWB

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Really Cool !! Thanks for sharing Dave !!