A BIG Texas Thanks!

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
As some of you fellow Rally IV goers already know, I had a little bad luck with a few trailer tires coming back from the Mile event. Actually the day before, I used up my only spare on a flat returning to Austin from Texas World Speedway. So, as the story goes, returning back to the hotel on Rte 123 about 10 miles south of Seguin I got another trailer tire blowout. To my dismay, I was also missing an entire wheel - it turns out that it just snapped of the studs a few miles back down the road and was MIA.

Being relatively new to this trailering thing, I was a bit frustrated .... but fortunately, that's when our fellow GT member Spirit and his wife road in to salvage the situation. With a wealth of experience, Fred and his wife got Sara and I into Seguin a few hours later and dropped the trailer off in front of the D & D Trailer repair shop to be repaired the next day.

The reason I am telling you all my boring story is that Spirit and his wife were very gracious in stopping to help out a fellow GTer in need. In doing so, they gave up an important dinner date with there son and we rambled into the hotel just before last call. It was not a fun experience, but it would have been brutal without Spirit's help. In all, I believe another 6 or 7 GT's sopped to offer help including the likes of Soroush, Dr. V8, and the guy who lost his phone on the side of the road. (Sorry.)

You don't find this type of brotherly love just anywhere and to my fellow GT Forum Members, Sara and I truley thank you all. :usa

p.s. I will be shipping my car to Rally V.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
p.s. I will be shipping my car to Rally V.

:rofl After reading thru your post, I was just about to suggest you do that very thing! :rofl:rofl:rofl

WHY IS IT everybody who trailers a car A-L-W-A-Y-S has at least one flat on the trailer either coming or going????? What IS IT about trailer tires - AND I MEAN APPROPRIATE tires??? My daughter had TWO trailer flats hauling her "Turbo Terrific" from here to ARIDzona when she moved down there.

'Seems one can have 96 ply tires all the way around and STILL not avoid that pblm!!!:bang:bang:bang

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think there was a trailer tire thread where the consenses was that the stock tires that ship with most trailers are sh*t and aren't balanced very well. Best to throw them out and get quality tires that are installed and balanced correctly. At the minimum check the tires tread, sidewalls, balance and pressure before use!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think there was a trailer tire thread where the consenses was that the stock tires that ship with most trailers are sh*t and aren't balanced very well. Best to throw them out and get quality tires that are installed and balanced correctly. At the minimum check the tires tread, sidewalls, balance and pressure before use!

Ya, I remember that thread and the comments made. But, as I stated before, even with APPROPRIATE tires, flats seem to PLAGUE car trailers. Somehow, some WAY if there's A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G within 300 miles that CAN penitrate a tire - IT WILL SOMEHOW FIND A 'TRAILER TIRE. :frown

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The guy that lost his phone on the side of the road was my guy ERIC. He told me about your ordeal. Glad things worked out. I am sure any of us here would have helped! We are all family!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Driveby "borrowed" the trailer from a friend, instead of listening to his good friend from St.Louis.

But kudos to Fred for being a stand up guy.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Ya, I remember that thread and the comments made. But, as I stated before, even with APPROPRIATE tires, flats seem to PLAGUE car trailers. Somehow, some WAY if there's A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G within 300 miles that CAN penitrate a tire - IT WILL SOMEHOW FIND A 'TRAILER TIRE. :frown

It must be related to tornadoes and mobile homes. :ack

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Glad We Could Help Out

Grant,

Glad we could help out.

Mrs. Spirit says, “Our life is a never-ending adventure.”

It’s a good thing she can drive a truck & trailer rig, otherwise you and I would still be wrestling that thing through Texas.:eek

We look forward to seeing you and Sarah again at Rally V.

Happy Trails.

Fred

:cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Grant,

Glad we could help out.

Mrs. Spirit says, “Our life is a never-ending adventure.”

It’s a good thing she can drive a truck & trailer rig, otherwise you and I would still be wrestling that thing through Texas.:eek

We look forward to seeing you and Sarah again at Rally V.

Happy Trails.

Fred

:cheers

that was a hell of nice thing you did Mr. Spirit! To stop for someone else in need of help in the middle of nowhere and after such a long day, and a long drive, says alot about a person. Im glad you are one of us.:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't give Spirit too much credit. He has his "dark" side. Driveby was lucky Spirit's wife was with him, she's the kind one.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Frank you're actually funny sometimes. :bored

Shelby, I spoke with Eric and feel very bad about his phone - I think all 6 GT's probably (especially Soroush :driving:) ran it over when getting back on the road. I owe Eric bigtime!

Again, thanks to Mrs. Spirit for coaxing her husband to help out :thumbsup but something about that Texas charm would lead me to believe Spirit would have stopped regardless - heck, they even backtracked 7 miles looking for my awol wheel.

- Grant.

p.s. Sara flew both ways

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
coach

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007