800 Miles of Magic

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
This last weekend saw a merry gang of GT owners in the UK drive in convoy to the Roush organised weekend at Le Mans. As a precurser to those about to assemble for the factory tour, even just ten GT's on the road is a sight to behold!

Thanks to Roush - particularly Dave and Jim - for organising a faultless trip. We were even provided with an 'unofficial' music CD for the trip with Jim (who has quite a bit of broadcast and voiceover experience) acting as DJ.

One of our squad lost his transaxle bolts before leaving the UK :ack however Roush were on hand to fix in 25 minutes.... Quite how this was done so quickly is a testament to their skills.

The drive down was fairly rapid followed by supper in a chateau (castle) where we all stayed on Friday evening. Roush had their team clean all our cars during the early evening so they were polished for Saturday morning (a nice touch) and our drive into Le Mans.

Saturday saw a gathering of (I think) 18 GT's - ten from the UK and then a few from the continent and some press cars - in the (one of many) car parks within the circuit. The drive to the circuit was a lot of fun - it seemed that some small French villages actually emptied to see us drive past.... The circuit itself was packed and hot, but the GT's were all safely parked and we were left free to explore.

2pm we gathered with drivers from the GT40 Owners Club of the UK (there were probably over 40 cars - all replicas, but beautifully presented and, I should add, the GT40 Owners Club were a most hospitable bunch of people, delighful in fact) and hit the circuit for a parade lap. For those familiar with parade laps, it is normally the case that you are not allowed to overtake or 'race' in any fashion. I have something to tell the group. I'm not proud of this. I raced! :biggrin you can't put a red blooded male in a bright red GT on the circuit of Le Mans and ask him, or indeed expect him, to pootle around. I floored it. 165 mph down the Mulsanne - hoovering in the replicas. Fantastique!!

I spent most of my time with Rob G and his wife Tia - a delightful couple - we left the circuit together and had dinner just the other side of Arnage (the three of us) and then got massively lost at midnight trying to find our way back to our chateau.

On Sunday morning at 8am I had to go South of Le Mans for an early meeting with a chum - empty freeway, the perfect moment to explore the strength of my right foot and to see how robust my nerve was. 195 - no problem at all. I would have gone futher but the combination of soft bollocks and slight rain caused me to back off......

The GT is the ideal freeway car and I was hugely impressed at how comfortable it was at speed for a long cruise. I even listened to the hi fi!!

Here's some pics...

The first Fuel stop. Bit foggy....

Attachments

• Le Mans 1 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 1 copy.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Rob's and mine - we drove together quite a bit and both drove quickly...

Attachments

• Le Mans 2 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 2 copy.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 190

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The lunch stop on Friday....

Attachments

• Le Mans 3 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 3 copy.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 188

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A line up at Le Mans....

Attachments

• Le Mans 6 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 6 copy.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 189

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Working our way around to the start line....

Attachments

• Le Mans 7 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 7 copy.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 189

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Last picture. On this one you can just see the winning GT40's from 1966 being photographed on the start line.

Attachments

• Le Mans 9 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 9 copy.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 187

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Those are some great pics, thanks for posting! Looks like a fantastic time across the big water, I'm certain all had a great time and made some memories. Kind of a downer hearing about one of the car's transaxle bolts but really good fortune having the Roush pit crew available.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Sounds like a great trip Neil... and some good photographs - really the stuff of excellent motoring memories.

I'll bet is was also nice to drive the GT on the side of the road for which it was designed :thumbsup

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neil

Great pictures and write-up. The Roush people seem to be just as nice in the UK as they are in the States. I am sure the 10 GTs were traffic stoppers wherever they went.\\One comment it seems that dark colors, black or blue were the preference for UK owners, is this corect?

I understand some have even done more than 195 indicated at times..

Dave

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wow!! wish I was there with you!! thanks for the pictures!!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Salute' to The GT

Good Morning Neil,
Sure do wish I could have been along with your commuter group. Such a special thing to be able to do. You were such a bad boy not following the rules on the parafe laps. However you did show a great deal of restraint by keeping it under the 200 marked on your speedometer.
Not that I would have expected otherwise, the GT owners "over there" sure do seem to be a great and fun loving group. Love their cars and love to go out and play with them. It's a shame that we will not see to many of them at the Rally in Detroit. I'd love to meet them someday soon.
I was a bit surprised at the quantity of replica GT-40's. On our side of the pond, the 427 & 289 FIA Cobra's are the replica's of choice. Sun comes out and they are everywhere. I've not seen to many GT-40's here. A good friend started his car collection out with a very nicely done Factory Five 289 creation. His plate was "Un-Real". The fortunes of his life were very good, and he eventually purchased 3 originals. His first one was plated as "REAL". 98% of the average Joe's just didn't get it.
The Roush folks certainly did right for the Ford GT community for the 1-2-3 Celabration in France. I can only imagine the wonderful sounds that those along the route heard when the group passed by them. It will be something they will never forget. Nor will those inside the cars forget either.

Thank you for all the great photographs.

Most Sincerely,
Jeff

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Glad you enjoyed the pictures - it makes me wish I could be part of the tour you are all taking in August, it's going to be fantastic.

The GT looks evil and menacing in the rear view mirror. I looks FANTASTIC to follow one - a real 1960's Le Mans racer from behind, a glimpse of metal work from the lower engine, purposeful exhaust placement and rudely exposed fat tires (tyres). It's wonderful to see 'your' car being driven from front, back and alongside. I followed Rob for miles in the dark around country lanes - fabulous looking....

Dave, yes, dark blue and black seem to be the color of choice here in the UK. I have to say that I was very smitten by the dark blue with white stripes, a very stylish looking car. I took a new look on white with the blue stripes too, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I did.

I have picked up a stone chip on my white stripes - right above the centrally placed air scoop/inlet on the trunk/nose/bonnet (the front liftable area). Would anyone know if there is a touch up stick available for white?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neil

Agree that the dark blue with white stripes is a great color combination.

Dave

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Looks and sounds like a fantastic get together! Thanks for the photos.

Too bad about Adrian Newey's GT40.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've heard rumours that he had a major 'off' at the second chicane, but nothing more. I was enjoying a glass of champagne when his (white) GT40 drove right by me - it was then pushed back by mechanics 20 minutes later.... uphill. This was before the race, so I wonder if there was a mechanical?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bravissimo Neilda! Thanks for the photos.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
While the August tour will be great..... what you lived this weekend goes all the way back to the genesis of the car. 165MPH down the straight away - you had to be ear to ear with the grin!

Sounds like a once in a life time experience - and then on the 40th anniversary :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Here's the picture of Adrian Neweys GT40 - a great shame.

Attachments

• Photo-179 copy.jpg
    Photo-179 copy.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 79