7 Days in Jail for 147 mph

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
No, it wasn't me. This guy was caught by photo cameras in scottsdale AZ at 102, 105, 127 and 147 in a rented Hyundai Sonota. Plead down to aggresive driving class, 1 year probation and 7 days in jail. Could have faced 6 months in jail. Not sure why the prosocution did a plead deal since he was on camera. Hyundai technican testified that the car could actually go that fast, although another article disputes that.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1206speeder1206.html

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No, it wasn't me. This guy was caught by photo cameras in scottsdale AZ at 102, 105, 127 and 147 in a rented Hyundai Sonota. Plead down to aggresive driving class, 1 year probation and 7 days in jail. Could have faced 6 months in jail. Not sure why the prosocution did a plead deal since he was on camera. Hyundai technican testified that the car could actually go that fast, although another article disputes that.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1206speeder1206.html

Hummmmmmmm... I wouldn't have thought wunna THOSE could DO dat!

Acc'ding to the news when I was down there for "Goodguys" last month, these cameras had been TURNED OFF because of some legal hastle about CITY cameras nailing drivers on a "STATE" highway.

'Looks like mebbe that was a lotta:bs ?

E.P.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I have been told that DA's and Judges are not big on putting functioning members of society in jail for an extended pierod of time for fear they will lose jobs, families etc. thus becoming a larger part of the social problem.

Either that or they were also impressed with a 150mph Sonota!

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Acc'ding to the news when I was down there for "Goodguys" last month, these cameras had been TURNED OFF because of some legal hastle about CITY cameras nailing drivers on a "STATE" highway.

The cameras are on again, off again, on again, off again etc. etc. I'm just glad I no longer have to commute on that joke of a highway save the Saturday night car show at Pavillions.

This infraction took place in May. Those cameras aren't good at catching stuff over 125 MPH, so I doubt they had his face. Too bad he waived his rights and admitted, more likely than not he could have walked.

Once this story broke a friend of mine promply got on his bike and broke the Hyundai record by 50 MPH on a 2AM ride. I think he still holds it...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
A couple of years ago when I attended Barrett Jackson I got three tickets by mail from the town of Paradise. All from the same camera, on three different days. Needless to say, that license plate will never reappear in the great state of Arizona,,,,

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Car show?

I'm just glad I no longer have to commute on that joke of a highway save the Saturday night car show at Pavillions.

'Saturday nite car show "at Pavillions"? I'm familiar with the one at the shopping center @ Indian Bend & the "101" (McDonald's 'lot) ...'zat the same one?????

'Never heard the name "Pavillions".

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
'Saturday nite car show "at Pavillions"? I'm familiar with the one at the shopping center @ Indian Bend & the "101" (McDonald's 'lot) ...'zat the same one?????

'Never heard the name "Pavillions".

E.P.

Pavillions is a car show that occurs every Saturday, as many as 1000 cars can be seen. Pretty famous gearhead gathering... We even know about it in Fresno..I mean FreYes:wink

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
A couple of years ago when I attended Barrett Jackson I got three tickets by mail from the town of Paradise. All from the same camera, on three different days. Needless to say, that license plate will never reappear in the great state of Arizona,,,,

LOL, I have been told that I have a few with my name on them in Switzerland from last years vacation.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SteveASteveA;LOL02 said:
LOL, I have been told that I have a few with my name on them in Switzerland from last years vacation.

yeah, I got one in South Africa last month. Avis charged my credit card 180Rand plus Vat for their administration fee.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I thought the only way a Hyundai could hit those speeds is if it was dropped out of a C5 Galaxy - learn something new everyday:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pavillions is a car show that occurs every Saturday, as many as 1000 cars can be seen. Pretty famous gearhead gathering... We even know about it in Fresno..I mean FreYes:wink

Yeah. Roger all THAT - but, is "Pavillions" @ Indian Bend & the "101"?????:bang

E.P.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yeah. Roger all THAT - but, is "Pavillions" @ Indian Bend & the "101"?????:bang

E.P.

Never mind!

This was driving me nuts - so I called my daughter (who lives in the Valley).

"Pavillion" IS the name of the shopping center @ Indian Bend & the "101".

'Same car show I thought it was...

E.P.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Unfortunately the UK is littered with speed cameras - some of which are generating profits of over £2m a year in fines. Most drivers who enjoy the ocassional turn of speed use a 'Road Angel' which stores the location of every speed camera and warns you as you approach it.

Speed cameras, or scameras, are extremely unpopular here - as are all the various taxes levied on motorists. The lastest being a $50 charge PER DAY for driving in London being proposed by our left wing bicycle riding Mayor.

The motorist is an easy target in the UK for raising revenue- fuel duty of over 90% etc. Far easier to suck cash out of us than address the unemployed yobbos strolling about mugging people. A parking meter in London makes more a year than a nurse in a hospital.

Sorry. I'm ranting.

Deep breath.......... and relax.......

Better now. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Unfortunately the UK is littered with speed cameras - some of which are generating profits of over £2m a year in fines.

Speed cameras, or scameras, are extremely unpopular here - as are all the various taxes levied on motorists. The lastest being a $50 charge PER DAY for driving in London being proposed by our left wing bicycle riding Mayor. A parking meter in London makes more a year than a nurse in a hospital.

We have a bunch of LOON politicians over here who like to point to the tax rates/gas prices,etc., in the UK and Europe in general when WE complain about whatever tax those clowns want to raise and they say, in effect, "What are YOU complaining about ... look at what EUROPE pays", as justification.

More tax. That's the solution to everything.

That's the price a country pays for electing liberals. And there are too many hand out loving, "Gimme, GIMME!", types around now to "out vote".

The day is fast approaching when all income producing citizens everywhere will owe more in taxes to their gov'ts than they actually earn.

E.P.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Speed cameras, or scameras, are extremely unpopular here - as are all the various taxes levied on motorists. The lastest being a $50 charge PER DAY for driving in London being proposed by our left wing bicycle riding Mayor.

Sorry. I'm ranting.

Deep breath.......... and relax.......

Better now. :biggrin

I can hardly wait for the "Thats how they do it in Euorpe" crowd to propose city driving fees over here.:bored

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
We have a bunch of LOON politicians over here who like to point to the tax rates/gas prices,etc., in the UK and Europe in general when WE complain about whatever tax those clowns want to raise and they say, in effect, "What are YOU complaining about ... look at what EUROPE pays", as justification.

More tax. That's the solution to everything.

That's the price a country pays for electing liberals. And there are too many hand out loving, "Gimme, GIMME!", types around now to "out vote".

The day is fast approaching when all income producing citizens everywhere will owe more in taxes to their gov'ts than they actually earn.

E.P.

Ever read the book "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand? One of my all time favorite reads.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

I'm all for a progressive long term increase in gas taxes, as long as its balanced by a reduction in income tax that at a maximum maintains current revenues. Obviously, we are taxed way too much, and more importantly, what revenues are generated are wasted. I can choose to drive a car with better gas mileage, I can't choose to not pay federal income tax :lol No excuse for anybody with low income to bitch when they have to pay more because they drive a Hummer, and those who can afford it will continue to do so. Better than 35% off the top. I can't wait to see what fun increases coming in the next session!

Plus I want to see less Escalades in the hood. :biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I can't choose to not pay federal income tax :lol :biggrin

... Check out Vanuatu ! :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ever read the book "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand? One of my all time favorite reads.

Nope. Never "heard" of it.
But, I bet it would "tick me off", wouldn't it!!!!!!

E.P.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
getting on the weird side here......

I'm one of those guys who say ..... get rid of income tax and just go to a straight consumption tax... Ie sales tax.... In the good old adage ... you have to pay to play. only excemptions should be food. everything else add tax to.

I think if you add all the taxes we pay it is well over 65% for most of us here on the board between income tax, registration, property tax (that one always kills me), fuel tax, sales tax ...and on and on and on. Tolls especially.

One thing that texas has started to do which is why I live there but don't live there is the driving penalities.. you pay your ticket and then pay more every year in penalty fees just because you screwed up and have points on your license. I now sport a nevada license (multi-state residency has its advantages)

back on the speeding issue. I once got written for "in excess of 155mph" in CA, I was on a 1000 Honda interceptor back in 1985. Got stopped in the high desert by a chp before I ran into the road block over the hill. Long story short, the chp was laughing as I was freezing in my leathers and had told him that I had to get back to base before I was hung out to dry (I was out of bounds and my unit had gotten alerted since we just bombed Kaddafyi). I got a 400.00 ticket and a pat on the back. He was coming towards me with his lights on ... I had stopped when I saw him and he turned around ... that was the ONLY reason I did not go to jail... well that and he was a speed freak too. thank god for the chp interceptor guys .. they use to be nuts.:banana

well thats my two cents
S