Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Always loved those. Favorites;

65' GS with clamshell headlights
67' GS best looking but huge
72' GS boat tail. Look great with torque thrusts and wide rubber, let the Avon lady have the stock skinny tires.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
63' GS with clamshell headlights

??? I thought the 1st Rivs to have those were the '65s???

I do know for a fact that I personally never saw a "clamshell" sporting '63! I'd have blown a trivia game on that one. They must be rare as hen's teeth.

'Learn sumtin new every darned day! :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Typo, I will change it

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Couldn't have proven it by me. I thought it was a model that had gotten past me...!

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Yes, 65's were the only year with the clam shells.

Here is the '65 Rivera Gran Sport we had for several years.

A nice combination of power and luxury.
Had all kinds of bells and whistles for cars of that era and then power to move it down the road.

Things like an auto dimmer to dim your brights when you met another car and interior door handles (optional) at the rear of the door arm rests so the people in the back seat could open the door if needed. All sorts of other items as well, not seen on most cars until much later.

The Gran Sport was available with 2 four barrel carbs mounted on a 425. They could be a pain to syncronize, but once set up properly, could get her scooting down the highway. The brakes left a lot to be desired however, with a tiny master cylinder supplying bulky drums brakes all the way around.

Gina misses this car the most, as it was an automatic and therefore she drove it a lot more than any of the others.

Jeff

riviera.JPG rivfront.jpg riv-engcomp.JPG

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The brakes left a lot to be desired however, with a tiny master cylinder supplying bulky drums brakes all the way around...

Jeff

It sounds like the 66 model had better brakes.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1966-1970-buick-riviera.htm

Buick had almost always prided itself on its brakes. To evaluate the finned, aluminum-clad, 12-inch front drum brakes that appeared on the 1966 Riviera, Kintigh had his brake development people test them over and over down Pikes Peak. The test mules were put in Drive, driven hard down the mountain, then driven back up to come down again. The cycle was repeated a number of times.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My friend in H.S. had a Root beer brown with tan vinyl (half) roof 72' boat tail. Tan leather inside. Lowered with 15x10 Craigger SS wheels all the way around and 265 in front and 295 in rear BFGs. 455 Big Block with headers and glass paks.

The car was just all out drop dead killer. His dad had a chain of Service stations and a body shop. I on the other hand got to borrow my Grandma's beat to shit 1970 Chevy C-10 2WD bar bones pick up with no power brakes or steering.

Man I wanted that Riv. Still do to this day 32 years later.

Jeff I take it the 65' is long gone as in never to return?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Jeff I take it the 65' is long gone as in never to return?

It is still outside Indianappolis, IN. See it once in a while at Buick events.

Greg called me about 4 years ago to see if I wanted to buy it back. I passed at the time, which he later said he was glad, as he was happy to hang on to it.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Like the 1971 Grand Prix SSJ too

Firemist Silver / Charcoal Vinyl roof

http://oldcarbrochures.org/index.php/NA/Pontiac/1972-Pontiac/1972-Pontiac-Brochure/1972-Pontiac-02

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'62 Poncho G.P. w/turbine wheels or the '64 are my favs.