500 mile computer limitations? Myth?

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
I was in the dealership today and one of the service people told me that they heard the computer limits the motor until the car hits 500 miles, as part of the break in. They said that only one set of fuel injectors is active until then. Is this true? I would look in the owners manual....but I have not got mine yet. Every one that they order somehow "disappears".

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The full boost from the supercharger has some limit on mileage. My dealer told me 1K, but it kicked in earlier than that. When it's new, it takes 5 miles or a few starts before things start to work so service personnel can't go crazy off the delivery truck.

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
The Quick Reference Guide (You should have gotten that, too. Tell your dealer that it's available, as is the owners manual, as a pdf download in the ford dealer website) says, "The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) strategy contains a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to 4,000 RPM for the first 3 consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50 engine start/warm-up cycles. This feature is enabled prior to shipment. If neither of these conditions has been satisfied prior to customer delivery, full power will not be available."

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
Mine has 400 miles on it, so I am wondering if it will get faster or not. It seems that there would be a definitive point, and that it would occur in the hundreds when the car is "broken in", not purchased.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I heard the limiter was installed after buyers would buy the car, drive it off the lot, then wreck the car within 7 miles of the dealer. Just because you have the money to buy one doesn't mean you know how to drive a high performance car.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Had mine RED LINED at 54 miles on the clock, and it was at FULL BOOST.

This is an AMAZING ENGINE, as is the machine itself, it is built to be basically bullet proof.

SVT builds very nice engines to exacting standards.

As Kenne Bell once told me, “Don’t worry about it, just go out and have fun!”

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Correct me if I read the info wrong;

Frankly until seeing this thread I had only glannced at the fold out quick reference card that came with her.

I received my gal (as requested) prior to her having been PDI's by the dealer from which she was picked up and placed in a closed trailer and then into my facility she rolled with 3.6 miles on her.

I have since then methodically gone through her and at the same time been completing the PDI check sheet to fax to Ford once completed. Well the 6th sub-group on the sheet is the road test during which time I took her and filled her tank with some fresh go juice. The road test consisted of 10 miles; 5 miles to the gas station....turned her off... and then 5 miles back.

Seems to me that the limiting factors have now been removed as she was driven a distance greater than 3 miles without turning her off.

Is my understanding correct?

Takes care

Shadowman

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Shadow man - sounds like the limiters are off...... but better yet the question is:
1/ Do you drive it?
2/ Do you like it?

Like Spirit - I drive it hard and really enjoy the car so....

who cares about the limiter... It's no fun anyway. Go see the video of Joe's car as he has raised the bar again! Tori went for a ride and did the same. Shegotlegs is looking at the upgrade also.

"drive it like you stole it" was said by somebody on another thread which is what the car was made for.

It's a great car....... :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
MAD IN NC said:
Shadow man - sounds like the limiters are off...... but better yet the question is:
1/ Do you drive it?
2/ Do you like it?

Like Spirit - I drive it hard and really enjoy the car so....

who cares about the limiter... It's no fun anyway. Go see the video of Joe's car as he has raised the bar again! Tori went for a ride and did the same. Shegotlegs is looking at the upgrade also.

"drive it like you stole it" was said by somebody on another thread which is what the car was made for.

It's a great car....... :cheers

Great comments and questions; more than anything I was just curious about the limiter and then my way of asking and sharing was as much to say that if all it takes is a three miles drive then there was never much of one to begin with.

1. No I have not had the time to take her out other than as mentioned above furthermore I have the guys that clear bra the noses of my gals doing so in a couple weeks and then I will run her through her paces. For the moment she is simply a pleasure to look at.

2. Yes I like her; having never looked at one up close before purchasing her I must say that once she arrived I was extremely pleased with the way she looks, feels to sit in her, and even the very short drive was rather cool. And BTW I did get initiated by the door and then had to smile because I had read the post as such was warned.

Rest assured that we will play togther. I have a few small items on the way that I will install on her while awaiting to have her nose wrapped then we will go get to know each other.

Takes care

Shadowman

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I remember exactly what you are now going through Shadowman - I'm sure you still have the "GT Grin" on your face..... that even when you Gurney'd yourself still stayed on your face.

I like looking at my car so much I put cable in the garage :biggrin

Congrats!

Aug 25, 2006
MAD IN NC said:
I remember exactly what you are now going through Shadowman - I'm sure you still have the "GT Grin" on your face..... that even when you Gurney'd yourself still stayed on your face.

I like looking at my car so much I put cable in the garage :biggrin

Congrats!

ROFL....... that was perfect...... a closed TV monitor setup

So........ how many miles on your gal? I gather that whether many miles or not she is exercised regularly.

All the best to you

Shadowman

Last edited: