GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Back in the day.

Gentlemen,

Over the last 30 years I've had a chance to fly with a lot of really cool Warbird pilots, some active duty but most retired. Here are a few below.

Frank Borman, USAF fighter pilot, USAF test pilot, Astronaut and Commander of Gemini 7, and the first man to fly to the moon as Commander of Apollo 8. Frank was flying a P-63 King Cobra here in Lakeland, Florida.

P 1.jpg

Brigadier General Steve Ritchie, America's last ACE. The only Air Force pilot to score 5 air to air victories during the Vietnam War (one Navy pilot did it as well). 4,000 hours of fighter time, including 800 combat hours in the F-4 Phantom during 339 missions. In this show in Camarillo, California he was flying a T-38 Talon.

P 2.jpg

Army Air Corps WW2 ACE and legendary Airshow performer Bob Hoover. Bob made ACE flying Spitfires over Italy before being shot down and making one of the most daring escapes of all time. Best friend of Chuck Yeager and a USAF test pilot. Bob and I are both flying the last show of our career's here at Luke Air Force Base, AZ in December 1999. In this show Bob was flying a Rockwell Shrike Commander.

P 3.jpg

Great guys and fond memories.

Chip

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Wow! How freaking cool is that!

I agree. Great stories and photos!!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bob Hoover was a very close friend of Carroll Shelby's and spoke at his Memorial Service as to Carroll's WW II experiences as a flight instructor. They were very close.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Incredible pics!! :thumbsup:thumbsup Better than anything I saw in the Vegas skyline during the 4th. :cheers

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
The Strike Commander show was very impressive...great presentation of energy management.

Thanks for the photo's.. Fun days flying formation..

Last edited:

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
wow very nice shots! wish i could have done that!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Chip- Yet ANOTHER one of your great posts! Your formation interview was priceless. LMAO thinking about how that must have gone and then not knowing where the magneto switch was on Ray's plane. Having to ask Ray over the radio where to look.

I can only imagine what was going through the other pilot's minds as this newbee can't even get his plane started....and then we are to fly next to him within 10 feet? OMG.

Priceless Chip!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Great pics and story! Awesome!

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
There was something about one of those planes.....

After enjoying the pictures that Ray posted of the planes, there was something that seemed familiar about one of them...

My grandfather was a WWII vet from the pacific theatre and brought back an admiration of planes and flying that he still maintains to this day. I spent most of my childhood summers in west Texas with my grandparents and we took many road trips in the area, one of the most memorable was my first airshow in 1983. I can still hear those engines roar in my mind... My grandfather walked me down the line of planes describing each one, their differences, and what he liked about each. He took a picture of me in front of one that I have always kept.

Once I took a look at Ray's posted picture I dug up mine... it seems that one particular warbird has been well cared for in the 29 years since I last saw her.

To Ray and all those that are preserving and sharing these valuable pieces of American history/engineering: your efforts have and will continue to inspire future generations of Americans, thank you!

Thanks for sharing these Ray!

Here is the plane in question with a 6-year old fracboy:

Midland air show plane 83.jpgMidland Air Show Plane.jpg

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
that is too cool!!! i am going to email the owner with that picture :cheers

thanks for sharing buddy!!!! :banana

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
That is awesome!
I'm available next July 4th!!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
If you haven't seen Bob Hoover do a show in his Strike Commander, you haven't lived....

Tomcat

GT Owner
Gentlemen,

The F-111 is an Aardvark. Same thing, like F-14 and Tomcat. And yes, that's what it is.

Chip
I just stumbled upon this thread.
Great avaition stories...
I was an F-14 RIO in the late 80s and early 90s and now retired.
I met Bob Hoover in a reception at the airshow for the Portland Rose Festival in (I think) 1990. He had been an inspiration to me after I saw him fly the North American P-51 Mustang when I was probably 8 or 9 years old. As I recall, he had just gotten his flying certificate back after a bout of cancer.
I was "rushing" the Blue Angels for the #8 slot (events coordinator)...and he genuinely listened to my story and graciously talked with me.
Biff
Ps- There are some F-14 "Aardvarks"...that was the name of my sister squadron on the USS Enterprise, I was a Black Lion.

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Awesome story and welcome to the group Tomcat!!

I have been doing all my advanced training with an ex-Tomcat driver, Navy TopGun instructor turned oil man here in Midland :biggrin

His RIO is his business partner, having survived some incredible missions together in the Gulf war, they decided to continue the partnership. I have had the honor of having his RIO ride in my backseat on several occasions and it is amazing what a difference having a Navy trained backseater can do for you when you are twisting it around :thumbsup

Thank you for your service!

Here are a couple of pics of me flying some old iron... a lifelong dream for me since I was a little boy realized last December when I got my pilots license... I basically duplicated the WW2 training syllabus going from a Super Decathlon for my primary training right to the SNJ (AT-6)... and then to Boo Man Choo, P51 Mustang...

3316db5de0e26ff61d16fff3b027d6cc21938f2b

c12390100ae14e0c148caabe69dfff51a0466edb

7ce9631017eb203e6c149f1422479fc8a0c12a9f

8100301839_50f2a8a096_c.jpg

8100299839_aa200c623d_c.jpg

Tomcat

GT Owner
SH!!! I am not worthy!
If you don't want to make the names public...email to me (tbaranek@earthlink.net).
My Brother, CDR Dave "Bio" Baranek (former CO of VF-211) wrote a book, "TopGun Days" from his Top Gun instructor experience and I was a P'cola Instructor so there is a chance one (or both of us) knows your Texas running mates.

Thanks for paying your taxes! :)