3 gauges failing at once?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Chip,

I had two go out at the same time about a year ago.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
sorry to hear that chip, this weekend I started my black car which had sat on the lift for over a month and I had no gauges, then went to put gas in it, after the second time I started it all was ok again:confused

Was the car on a charger while not in use?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The Gauge Fail Survey has ~50 votes; I recall the axle bolts had over 250+ responses here in a running thread/tally, and results were sent to FORD.

Untill we hit those #s or all people here with failed guages vote on said survey, its not going to be statistically relevant.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=35

As this survey shows a distribution of gauge malfunction across all charging methods, possibly the OEM Optima battery is playing a role. It would be interesting to know if those that have installed a battery of another brand have experienced the same gauge issues.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote Per ViperJoe
"The fact that gauges fail inexplicably is highly disconcerting. Replacing a failed gauge is anything but a guarantee that the problem has been solved."

Very well said.......and it is a TOO common problem. To me it DOES matter that we are talking about a $150K plus car and not a Focus too.....but that is just my opinion. Rushing to production has it's pitfalls.... (A-arms, engine oil leaks due to walking cranks.......anyone say "speedi-sleeve":eek:willy, shaft bolts.....that sould have NEVER happened imo:frown ....broke twice on my red car, and now the infamous gauges. Ford may not.......but they should.

I drive my red car regularly. It has 24K miles. The tach is stuck at 4K rpm...engine running or not. Never had a starting or guage problem til now. It has never been on a tender or a charger. Just regular driving and it always starts. The other cars are driven less frequently. Have to be charged occasionally, but not tendered. I can say that when the battery is low the guages wil do weird things....but once charged they are normal. Not so with my regular driven red car. Starts great....tach screwed.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
MoTec makes a nice piece to go in there Chip. The new dash with GPS mapping on the race track, it tells you right where the apex is, it's very pimp. I think they're about $8k, but you would probably want the new MoTec ECU to run it... boost by gear, launch control, stability control, meth option, espresso maker, nitrous option. When is christmas again?

Let me know how it turns out.
DSC04075.JPG

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just out of curiosity, what does one of these non-warranty gauge replacements cost? What am I getting myself into? I find one of the advantages of the Cobra is the simplicity of 60's technology (well, ok, except for the modern fuel injection) but when something mechanical breaks parts are generally available from any number of places. My fan belt broke and I got a replacement (for a lawn mower) at the local hardware store.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you have to ask, you don't want to know....(Big $)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If you have to ask, you don't want to know....(Big $)

ROFL! True, more than a Focus but less than a "F" car....

Law's of economics apply - being supply and demand. With 4k total cars the opportunity cost is not that big..... FoMoCo has made a commitment to supply parts via the Memphis warehouse for 15 yrs at launch (quoted on the Titus DVD). The question is how many suppliers of the original parts are still viable and in business.

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Again, I'm not really interested in Ford paying for anything....

I just want some help to identify the cause of failures, a solution to the problem and then release or authorize Autometer to make the repairs or sell replacements.

I'm willing to pay my own way, but I'm not paying now only to have the same problem happen again in 3 months time...

How difficult can it be?

mardyn

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
4G7Z10883AA $637.73 $0.00 $535.70

GAUGE ASY - TEMPERAT

OEM Catalog
4G7Z17360AA $1,338.23 $0.00 $1,299.99

TACHOMETER ASY

OEM Catalog
4G7Z10A979AA $713.95 $0.00 $599.72

INDICATOR ASY Boost

OEM Catalog
4G7Z9280AA $691.90 $0.00 $581.20

GAUGE ASY - FUEL

OEM Catalog
4G7Z10797AA $888.82 $0.00 $559.96

INDICATOR ASY Volt

OEM Catalog
4G7Z9273AA $630.23 $0.00 $529.40

INDICATOR ASY - OIL

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA

release or authorize Autometer to make the repairs or sell replacements.

That is a great post Mardyn......I don't have a gauge problem (yet) but if I did those would be my exact sentiments.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Was the car on a charger while not in use?

no, I never use charger on the gt, after all I read on the forum, there is definately something going on with regards to the cars sitting for a while and gauges going bad, this cant just be a coincedence with all of these cars developing guage issues. 1,2,5, cars I would undrestand but the numbers are more, and from my own personal experience, I drive my blue car often so I never have any gause issues at all. the gauges on my black car on the other hand have failed to respond on more that one occasion after the car sat for a while. another interesting note is that the gauge issue on my black car only occured when the car sat and the battery was connected while it sat.. otherwise there was a span of about 5 month when the car was out of commision but I had disconnected the battery and guess what? .. when it went back together and started up all gauges were working perfectly. so to me I know there is a problem with letting the car sit for a while with the battery connected, the best thing to do in my opinion is to get a quick disconnect and disconnect the battery(the battery can remain in the car) then connect it to a charger. this is what I will be doing when I know my car will sit for more that a week!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

I just want some help to identify the cause of failures, a solution to the problem and then release or authorize Autometer to make the repairs or sell replacements.

I'm willing to pay my own way, but I'm not paying now only to have the same problem happen again in 3 months time...

How difficult can it be?

mardyn

+100000000

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
As this survey shows a distribution of gauge malfunction across all charging methods, possibly the OEM Optima battery is playing a role. It would be interesting to know if those that have installed a battery of another brand have experienced the same gauge issues.

I have a different battery and charger to the OEM and no problems with gauges.

I have to say that having owned a few cars that are hand built 'supercars', the GT is weapons grade bullet proof in comparison! I was watching an Enzo have its engine removed and split the other day to cure numerous oil leaks - with only 7k on the clock! My only slight concern with the GT is the availability of parts, not that something might go wrong.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Do we know what is failing, inside the the gauges? Is it something that can be easily replaced? These appear to be Autometer gauges, I'm sure parts can be found. Sense the replacement gauges will all be purchased items, owners might take the time to inspect (or have a tech inspect) the defective gauges internal components. There may be a consistency to the failure that is easily fixable.

H

HHGT

I'm not an electrical engineer, but in my younger days working as an elctro-mechanical engineering apprentice, I was taught that "Static Energy" can wreak havoc on electronics. Sometime ago, I posted a question regarding any electronics built into the gauges themselves, no one responded. I'm willing to bet that the gremlin is electrical. I wonder if we should ground the car before we get into it, in order to remove any energy that may be blowing some of electronics....

Also, I wonder if the battery ground unintentionally functioning in dual mode (Ground/Isolated) due to improper connection may be the culprit?

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Should be a question for Jamal....or Bill Ford...........I know they both have some HP at Auto Meter..............

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm on board with mardyn to some extent. I don't mind replacing a couple guages once. There have been several posters who have replaced guages only to have them go bad again within months. I'm not doing that. I've waited somewhat patiently for a "fix" to prevent future guage failures. This is clearly a defect in these cars and if you keep one long enough, I think there is a high probability there will be a guage failure or three. If Ford would just help solve the problem, I would be happy. Of course Ford would have to admit there is a problem and they may not want to do that. I'll buy the guages, just tell me how to make sure they don't keep failing. It is disconcerting to have to close your eyes when you start the car and hope when you open them, all the guages will be working.

I'll be very curious how Chip's dillema turns out. Based on my experience, I'm not optomistic. If the problem bothers me too much over time, I'll replace guages and have Shelby sell it for me. So far, I have not reached that point, but in the end it is a toy and if its not fun any more it goes away. Usually one quick drive cures that thought.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I guess the gt woudnt be true to its english heritage without some electrical problems :biggrin

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Based on what is reported here, the number of failures of gauges just reported in this forum far exceeds a DPPM rate of approximately 3 for a six-sigma target. To know for sure I'd have to know how many gauges in each car are subject to the failure (e.g., is the speedo handled differently than oil pressure - it seems to be those that are connected to the independent gauge computer). Someone higher up at Ford should definitely be appraised of this. I suspect their statistical methods won't catch it because of the small population involved.

By the way, when was the last time you heard of a gauge failure on any other car (period, sample size 1)? I noodle around in a fair number of Mustang sites and noone has ever reported a problem like this. I won't include Cobras since their Lucas stuff comes with a guarantee to break. :)

Cheers,
Tony