212 mph on German Autobahn

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
Peoria Illinois & London UK
My son Davy and I have Super Cars in the UK, he owns a Porsche GT2 and I have a Ferrari 575M. We have driven them on the track at Silverstone GP Circuit, Brands Hatch, Le Mans, Monaco GP Circuit, Paul Ricard, Hockenheim GP Circuit and a UK Midlands Circuit Mallory Park.

We have done the Gumball and several other rallies, these are about dead now after the idiots ruined it for the sensible few. Drive in France or Germany now in a group and they arrest you on the spot and fine you. They have the legal right to take your car if you are more than 50mph over the limit.

On one trip at the Channel Train tunnel to cross into France, we weere shooting pics of a groupf of nice cars in the rally and I placed a plate V12 575over my real registration plate, for security, the French Police took Offence to this as we were boarding the train and refused me entry to France on the charge that this offence was evidence that "I was a Menace to Society"
It was a great laugh, they let me go across the following day.

D11VEJ

Attachments

• Picture1111.jpg
    Picture1111.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 467

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
And we complain about our cops... so you would not recommend a tour of 20 FGT's going from track to track? This is a serious question, how does one legally go about it?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Another Good Reason To Stay Out Of France

Bony - stay here in the good ol' USA with us. They won't like you over there & it's just another good reason to stay out of France!

Ed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
hope he answers , or neil

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
...Drive in France or Germany now in a group and they arrest you on the spot and fine you...
D11VEJ

Are you serious??? What if you are actually obeying the traffic laws? Does this mean there are no car clubs or car rallies?????

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
And we complain about our cops... so you would not recommend a tour of 20 FGT's going from track to track? This is a serious question, how does one legally go about it?

This was a concern I had based on what happened in Montenegro this year. Arg.

As long as one stays within the limits of the law though....?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This was a concern I had based on what happened in Montenegro this year. Arg.

As long as one stays within the limits of the law though....?

this is a major concern of mine.... need I say more?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I shall take a look into this.

As a regular convoy driver through my ownership of Aston Martins (for example), I've not seen or heard of any convoys being stopped 'for being in a convoy'. However the law may have changed since June (when I drove through France in a convoy) and followed, by coincidence, a convoy of Lamborghinis.

I suspect if you have numbers on your car - i.e. a roundal with a racing number - then you might be stopped as the display of numbers (as seen below) is illegal in some countries, the UK being one.

PS This is my Aston - recently resprayed. Purdy ain't it?

9.jpg

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Very nice. :thumbsup
That's interesting...so it's illegal to display numbers on your car in the UK??

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I was told that you can't put racing roundels with numbers in if the car is on a public road.... I believe that you can void the number by putting a diagonal stripe of tape (or similar) through the number.

From memory these are quite obscure laws and I can find no reference to them!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I suspect if you have numbers on your car - i.e. a roundal with a racing number - then you might be stopped as the display of numbers (as seen below) is illegal in some countries, the UK being one.

9.jpg

Neil,

Woops.

Guess I'll not be allowed into the UK with the Hertiage, or into some of the other countries as well that have this type of law.:frown :bang :frown

Glad Texas still allows this type of "illegal" display of "vulgarity".:biggrin :cool :biggrin

PS - YES, the Aston looks GREAT!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ford GT convoy in France = Bad Idea

so you would not recommend a tour of 20 FGT's going from track to track? This is a serious question, how does one legally go about it?

The French, always a most disagreeable lot, would make a convoy of 20 Ford GT's a target for excessive traffic law enforcement. This, combined with the very low seat height of the GT which limits one's view of the beautiful countryside, makes our fast Fords a poor choice for touring France. Vehicles with better visibility, time tested proven performance, and zero interference from French law enforcement are preferred. The French countryside is best viewed from the top turret of a Panzer.

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
OK, I've checked and I'm talking complete bollocks.

There are no rules in the UK (or France) that forbid either driving in a convoy or having racing roundels and numbers.

I am told that the MSA, who license motorsport in UK, stipulate that competition numbers must be covered up or removed before any competition vehicle is driven on public roads. The intention is to make it clear that the vehicles are no longer involved in competition. That was it. In other words, nothing to do with the law/Police, only if you've actually been in a race.

Hopefully I caught my own rumour in time!

As to driving in France with the GT? It's a fantastic country for taking a sports car - particularly the GT. I've done it several times and the French love the car. They, like you, drive on the wrong side of the road too - so it's very easy! :lol

Last edited:

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
In all honesty, the French, German and Spanish police, especially, do not tollerate idiots frightening their citizens with 40 or 50 cars driving at 100+ on their roads on a quiet afternoon so if they can prove you are all in a group, numbers, decalls, logos, whatever, a rally name or something, the minority will get you all arrested and fined as it is illegal to hold any rally on European roads, speeding or not, that is not properly notified and approved by local Police first. Barcelona Region is the Driving Hell area of Europe.

However, if you are inclined to behave and observe other road users rights to enjoy the quiet drive out they are having, then the Police will leave you alone to travel in peace. However, if you have Gumball, Cannonbal, this or that on your car they will arrest you or detain you to check out your registration matches your insurance as a few cars enter such events to carry naughty powders and some are even stolen or misregsitered to avoid easy detection when spotted breaking the sound barrier. They remove the illegal plates and run with false plates, I have been there and got the T shirt for that trick, even though I had not particularly done anything that could have come close to breaking the law as I did, other than carrying stickers on my car, I became noted as a temporary Menace to French Society for having a temporary security cover showing the car model over my registration plate. No fine, just sent home and refused entry to France. I will never make that mistake again.

I am not a road criminal, many have been lucky, many have been killed driving nice cars that they can not drive. Unsurpisingly up to 10% of the Gumball entrants do not bring their cars home, they are written off, the nutcase drivers for whom I care not at all. However, its not usually them they injure, its usually some innocent passer-by minding his own business as in the Gumball Rally this year. It was waiting to happen for a long time.

The European Police got together some time back and made an agreement to work together to stamp out hooliganism on public roads. Its now a lucky dip if you make it past any of the main 3 countries, France, Germany and Spain without being stopped.

There my American friends, you have the state of Rallying Super Cars in Europe today. Messed up by the few for the many. I hope those idiots stay where they are and don't come over here. I fear they might.

Hope you find this interesting to know about.

Oh and by the way, the number is OK provided those looking, the Police, are satisifed it is not a race number for an event you are running in on the road, so your Heritage would be OK in Europe, just don't put Gumball on it.

D11VEJ

Last edited:

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
Oh dear, so we are not allowed to have numbers on our cars in the UK. I had better get the hair dryer out, and remove the number on my Ford GT. If you are looking for Robocop he has moved to the UK, and he is the Chief Constable of the traffic division now, and he is worse than any Police Officer you will find in France.

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
If you are looking for Robocop he has moved to the UK, and he is the Chief Constable of the traffic division now, and he is worse than any Police Officer you will find in France.

I was driving from London to Leicester in the Midlands UK a couple of years ago, two cars, a Porsche and a BMW overtook me, one on the inside and one on the outside at well over 120+mph rcing one another, and the draft pushed me from one lane to the other. Imagine your wife and children driving experiencing that!!! Robocop is welcome in my territory.

I am all for fast driving, there is a time and place for it, not on public roads.

D11VEJ

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I just wanted to visit the 62,000 Americans we parked on the beach during D Day. FTF.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
...of course, I never violate the laws of man or nature,... please post pictures of your wives and daughters:lol :rofl :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I shall take a look into this.

As a regular convoy driver through my ownership of Aston Martins (for example), I've not seen or heard of any convoys being stopped 'for being in a convoy'. However the law may have changed since June (when I drove through France in a convoy) and followed, by coincidence, a convoy of Lamborghinis.

9.jpg

WOW, she is sweet, nothing like yesteryear!:thumbsup

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Neilda, Your Aston is BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for sharing.

Have you taken her to the track?