2019 Lightweight Series

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Got some updated information on the 2019 Lightweight Series from my Ford GT Concierge (who had been amazing to work with, Ford is doing a great job on every aspect of the Ford GT). Was told it was okay to share and talk about the update so here you go:

2019 Lightweight Series
- Similar lightweight details as competition series
- Black interior accents and gloss CF accents, silver colored stitching
- Twin carbon fiber stripes
- Option for accent color between the carbon fiber stripes. Accent color would be carried over to the side view mirrors and calipers.
- Includes AC and radio

I can’t wait to see pictures of the car. Think it could look crazy cool with the accent color stripe.

Now, if only I could get Ford to add an exposed carbon fiber number roundel on the doors. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The twin CF stripes with the center accent color allow many great color combos. It’s going to look killer.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
My bet is that more people will be on board with this option compared to the competition version with no A/C. It sound like a great package.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Wow! That’s great info!!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Wow, really cool. Happy for you.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Sounds cool, thanks for sharing!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I think all the cars I've seen so far have only two colors: the base color and a different color stripe. Other than the race cars, has anyone seen 3 or more color combos?

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
I think all the cars I've seen so far have only two colors: the base color and a different color stripe. Other than the race cars, has anyone seen 3 or more color combos?

2017 Heritage has three different colors since the stripe and number roundel are slightly different. But generally think you are right, this is a new thing. Will be exciting to see pictures once Ford is ready to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
This light weight series car will be a fantastic option for us in hotter parts of the country. The twin Carbon fiber strips would add even more flair to and already amazing vehicle!! Please share anymore info you have on this or any other GT specs.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’m thrilled to be chosen to get one!

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Thanks for sharing. Living in FL and wanting to drive the car the competition car was out with no AC. This changes everything. Thank you Ford.

alexhay3

Subscribing Spectator
Nov 2, 2016
Duxbury, MA
The OP headline uses the term Lightweight Series. Others use the term Option, which ultimately, it surely is.

Is Lightweight Series an option that most anyone can choose for their build or a very limited production option similar to the Heritage Series?

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The OP headline uses the term Lightweight Series. Others use the term Option, which ultimately, it surely is.

Is Lightweight Series an option that most anyone can choose for their build or a very limited production option similar to the Heritage Series?

Great question

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is not an option

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Limited series similar to the Heritage cars.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^^ this... I have seen a couple deferred letters for lightweight, in addition to heritage. 17-18 comp was "who ever dares" . Congrats to the few that "dared" .

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Competition was lighter because of the lack of AC and radio. Since this has AC & radio, what exactly makes it "lightweight"?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Fabrics, lighter fasteners, elimination of the automatic release relay of the rear bonnet, Lucite rear window, inclusion of CF wheels, TI lugnuts and TI exhaust, are a few of the "Comp" features that are weight savings. But yes, the addition of AC and radio does put some weight back, vs the 17-18 comp package.

what exactly makes it "lightweight"?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Thats really exciting news. I'm sure they will be much bigger sellers than the Comp car, spoken from a guy who bought the GT350R and added back the AC/radio.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Fabrics, lighter fasteners, elimination of the automatic release relay of the rear bonnet, Lucite rear window, inclusion of CF wheels, TI lugnuts and TI exhaust, are a few of the "Comp" features that are weight savings. But yes, the addition of AC and radio does put some weight back, vs the 17-18 comp package.
Which fabrics and fasteners are lighter?