2016 Focus RS

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
To the occupants, maybe and only because Ford is piping the artificial sound in through the speakers/sub. Stupid. What's next? Will the GT sound be piped in too.... maybe the V8 sound that everyone wanted??

Hey you can disable that function with a IDS Tuning tool.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Jim, thanks. Too bad you are on the other side of the continent! Peeps on the forum are simply disconnecting the module in the trunk. A two white wire connector and no-more speaker generated "noise".

By the way, for your lucky local customers, you can enable "Global Windows Down" function with the IDS tool. A feature that is not enabled by default for US-bound cars but many peeps have been successful to turn it on with the IDS tool.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I guess I should insert a shameless plug here for any current or future RS owners who live in a state requiring a front license plate. I cannot blame people for not wanting to drill the front bumper of the car - one of the best styling points of the car, so we devised a tow-hook license plate adapter. It is very easy to install/remove and it will keep you bumper free from holes/scratches.

KitContents.JPG

BrktOnCar.JPG

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea your white wire trick is easier!

Thanks for the tip on the windows down feature. I love that feature and it seems popular with the few cars we have delivered with it. Who know's as to why it's disabled.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Piped in engine noise is becoming more and more common. Luckily either through coding, or a disconnect, so far seems defeatable in most cases.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Piped in engine noise is becoming more and more common.

That's because customers are largely babies regarding NVH issues. Enthusiasts profess an admiration for "hardcore" performance cars, yet many of these same people complain about too much tire noise, exhaust drone, etc. The manufacturers are in a tough spot so they are isolating the driver from the car and adding back noise as needed.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Received good news today, finally got a vin # and build date for my RS! arrive in October, 1 year after order placed!! I am hoping it will hold me over being on waiting list for the GT

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
Did anyone hear about the rear differential on the RS not being able to take much more than 350hp? Apparently it was designed to barely meet the engine hp... anyone know more about this? ...I wonder if Ford will modify the rear differential for the 2017/18 model?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If you are an experienced (track) driver, don't plan on using the RS on a track during warm weather. How warm? Don't know. But at 96F ambient we could only get 3-4 minutes before the AWD system checked out. Engine oil temps were starting to soar - so if we found a way to get more out of the AWD system, I think engine oil temps would limit you. Disappointed.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
If you are an experienced (track) driver, don't plan on using the RS on a track during warm weather. How warm? Don't know. But at 96F ambient we could only get 3-4 minutes before the AWD system checked out. Engine oil temps were starting to soar - so if we found a way to get more out of the AWD system, I think engine oil temps would limit you. Disappointed.

Wow Kendall that does stink. Hope someone has some remedies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I have heard the same complaint from two different RS drivers here in California that autox their cars. Sounds like they need some diff and engine oil coolers. Too bad, a great little car otherwise.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The bottom line is that in order to perform the way that Ford says they will perform, an owner will have to add AT LEAST 3 coolers - an engine Oil Cooler, a PTU cooler, and an RDU cooler. That'll be at least a couple of thousand dollars. Ford claims a minimum of 20 minute track session. In what weather and on what track? We are getting the "AWD OFF" message in 3-4 minutes - a far cry from Ford's claim.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Have you experimented with different fluids?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Have you experimented with different fluids?

No, but thoroughly convinced this isn't going to help. As I mentioned, our objective for the data-logging test session was to learn what Ford was doing and to get to the bottom of why owners are reporting the "AWD OFF" message in track usage. Ford has publicly stated that the RS should be good for 20 minute track sessions without problems. With 96F ambient temps and a track layout that is just brutal for an AWD system, we were pretty shocked to get AWD OFF within 6 minutes of track-on. Backing off of the car for 4 minutes the message would disappear but when you get back on it you only get another 4 minutes max at speed. With the data-logging data we can see what is going on. It's not pretty.

We believe that the major contributor to this drivetrain overheating is a combination of;
a) Ambient temps
b) Track layout
c) Driver/amount the AWD system is asked to be working

To be clear, the only purpose Ryan had at driving was good lap times. The car was in TRACK MODE during the track sessions, AC OFF (of course), and driven at maybe 95% of car's capability.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Disappointing! I have an order scheduled to be built sept 12 ! Kendall looks like you should have some buisness developing these " coolers"! Did nt the Shelby 350 2016s also have some cooling issues (transmissions?)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
IMHO opinion, Ford has had more than their share of producing "track capable" cars but really aren't. To wit, just from my own experience;

1. Boss 302 Mustangs - In hotter climates, really need to have grill removed to have any chance of keeping limp mode from being invoked. To be a viable track car, an oil cooler was needed although most owners likely were not aware that oil temps could exceed 300F.

2. 2016 GT350's with Tech Pack. My understanding is that GT350 buyers were faced with an either/or scenario. Either they could order the technology package (nav, upgraded radio, etc.) OR they could order the TRACK package. The track package option would include a transmission with an internal pump, external transmission heat exchanger, rear diff pump and heat exchanger. All of this was standard on the GT350R. Owners of the GT350 Tech Pack have been gravely disappointed with the inability to track the car. Allegedly the car goes into limp mode very quickly. Some owners have even encountered this on the street. This "fix" is not so easy. Remember the track-pack cars have a different transmission. For 2017, ALL GT350s will have the upgraded transmission, pumps and coolers. Oooops. (It's not that difficult to find tech-pack GT350's at MSRP - now you know why.)

3. 2016 Focus RS. Many videos of Ford proclaiming "massive cooling". Ok, well maybe. But heat must be "more massive". Ford has claimed 20 min track sessions were no problem. My claim: 20 minutes track sessions in Alaska are no problem and/or driving sessions with Joe-novice drivers.

4. 2017 NFGT...... Hmmmmm

svtowner

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 2, 2006
If you are an experienced (track) driver, don't plan on using the RS on a track during warm weather.

Got my RS build date of 13-Sep. I am 13-Oct order refugee. Test drove an RS yesterday and it it is worthy of the praises published!
I also received Cooltech's RS cooler last week to immediately install when I get my car...though I may not need it when I get the car sometime in November, cooler temps in Michigan, and hope to track the car at Waterford.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Put cooling packages together and make some money. The relatively few people who will encounter a problem will gladly install extra cooling components. The criticism seems overblown. The NFGT won Le Mans. I'm not concerned about it overheating.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The relatively few people who will encounter a problem will gladly install extra cooling components.

Yeah, go visit the Mustang/GT350 forums and see how "gladly" people are liking the prospects of having to hunt down a "fix" for the Tech-pack GT350's. You are right, however, that only a minority of owners will ever use their GT350/RS/NFGT to the advertised capability of the cars.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yeah, go visit the Mustang/GT350 forums and see how "gladly" people are liking the prospects of having to hunt down a "fix" for the Tech-pack GT350's. You are right, however, that only a minority of owners will ever use their GT350/RS/NFGT to the advertised capability of the cars.

Ford offered a Track-Pack GT350 with all the coolers. It's not a scandal that the Tech-Pack equipped cars aren't as robust in the cooling department. That seems obvious.