2015 Mustang spy shot

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Although you can neither confirm or deny, at least the rendering seems pretty legit.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Whipple supercharger in the works for the 2015 Mustang. BHP number impressive if accurate.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=1534

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Cost factored, I think I would opt for the optional 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, as I'm fairly certain that anything producing power at that level would invalidate any factory warranty.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is a strong warranty. Do you know if this will be Ford Racing kit?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I don't know. But I would want to see the specifics on the warranty coverage, limits and the guarantor.

In the recent BOSS 302/Ford Racing/Track Key application, it took a good attorney to explain the coverage on the Track Key product from Ford Racing as relates to conforming to factory warranty. (Indy, chime in here)

I don't expect Mustang engineering for the standard car to be designed for those limits in application. Would have serious cost implications..

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
No Boss 302-like rotating assembly for the base GT?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Base v8 power figures are yet to be released, but are rumored to be around 440hp, which is close to Boss - all n/a of course..

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I worked for Honda a long while ago. Probably most here have never heard of their RC166 road race bikes from the 60's. If you want to hear what they sound like (employed flat plane crank in a 6 cylinder), take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJT4TXoq1A

Imagine a variation of that in a Ford. That would be a mind bender. :thumbsup

That bike sounds sic!!! Like a 12 cylinder F1 car... Bring it on :thumbsup

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I would not put much confidence in Whipple warranting the drive train in a new mustang with their new blower.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Whipple supercharger in the works for the 2015 Mustang. BHP number impressive if accurate.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=1534

How would this work? The current 5.0 is 11:1 compression ratio. Presumably, the '15 will be the same or close. A 260 or so HP increase would require at least 13 psi boost. Into 11:1? And they are going to work this magic on 91 octane?

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
How would this work? The current 5.0 is 11:1 compression ratio. Presumably, the '15 will be the same or close. A 260 or so HP increase would require at least 13 psi boost. Into 11:1? And they are going to work this magic on 91 octane?

Where do you come up with 13 psi? In theory 14.7 psi (1 bar) would double power. Assuming they are in the 420-440 range stock, 8-10 lbs should make 700 from the results I have seen on current Coyotes.

Also keep in mind that tuners can manipulate the dynamic compression ratio with the variable cam timing.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The current 5.0s are making 700BHP on 7.5-9.5 psi depending on the compressor.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ok....so you can put 10 psi into a 11:1 CR engine? I did not know that.

Rule of thumb is 20 hp/pound of boost. Hence 80-100 hp on our GTs with pulley/tune. +4psi boost (12 stock to 16).

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Where do you come up with 13 psi? In theory 14.7 psi (1 bar) would double power. Assuming they are in the 420-440 range stock, 8-10 lbs should make 700 from the results I have seen on current Coyotes.

Also keep in mind that tuners can manipulate the dynamic compression ratio with the variable cam timing.

Gary, I agree with you. Those who just strap a blower on a 11:1 CR Coyote and think they are just fine don't really understand what is going on. I KNOW there are vendors out there who sell the add-on blower's but if you look carefully at Rousch, Ford Racing and Edelbrock who offer a complete 5.0 engine with a supercharger, they ALL supply their engines with 9.5:1 CR pistons. Wonder why that is? What do these engine companies (who offer a warranty on their engines) know that the add on racers do not?

And pacettr, could you explain to us what "dynamic compression ratio" is?

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
Gary, I agree with you. Those who just strap a blower on a 11:1 CR Coyote and think they are just fine don't really understand what is going on. I KNOW there are vendors out there who sell the add-on blower's but if you look carefully at Rousch, Ford Racing and Edelbrock who offer a complete 5.0 engine with a supercharger, they ALL supply their engines with 9.5:1 CR pistons. Wonder why that is? What do these engine companies (who offer a warranty on their engines) know that the add on racers do not?

And pacettr, could you explain to us what "dynamic compression ratio" is?

To your first question, a lower CR allows more boost and therefore more ultimate power. This doesn't mean that a higher compression engine can't live happily at moderate boost levels assuming a good tune and good fuel.

Here's a good read on dynamic vs static CR:

http://classicinlines.com/CompressionRatio.asp

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The math doesn't work for me, but I'm looking forward to a 420hp 11:1 Coyote getting 280+ more hp on 10 psi boost and 91 octane. And, no doubt, 26mpg. And unicorns. :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Preparing the 2015 Mustang display car for the Empire State Building-

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kNkjIh-Wc

It's pretty cool that Ford used the same company, DST Industries, that pulled off the same stunt in 1964.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Was bummed went to Empire State on Friday, car was gone already.