2013 SRT Viper Road Test and Video

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey Guys,

Your trusty automotive journalist here (the one that was stupid enough to try to start his own website...). I wanted to let you know my 2013 SRT Viper road test just went live. There was technically an embargo until about 25 minutes ago (though, yes, a certain magazine or two were given a pass on that :bs).

Anyway, the car is pretty amazing -- far better than the last version. And don't let the "refinement" fool you into to thinking it's lost its soul or anything. This new Viper is simply more capable in every way, and that includes serving as a daily driver. Still no Ford GT of course (goes without saying), but not nearly the penalty box it used to be, and faster than ever (top speed is supposed to be 206 mph, and zero-to-60 should take about 3.4 seconds). Watch out for the Tri Coat paint option -- $14,600!! Suddenly the Heritage premium (when they were new...) seems ultra cheap!

Here's the link to the road test, along with video showing a lap around Sonoma Raceway from a HERO HD camera mounted on the roof. Hope you like it -- feel free to click on any ads while you're on the site. :lol

http://www.totalcarscore.com/car-reviews/road-tests/2013-srt-viper-road-test-review

Karl

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Was there a reason that you didn't run the full road course through the Carousel, and just used the NASCAR shortened course?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Nice! Much more comprehensive review than what appeared in Automobile this morning.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
The SRT folks set up the track and we had to follow their course. It's common at these events to limit top speeds -- don't want any wanna-be racers (i.e. automotive journalists) bending that carbon fiber hood!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Enjoyed the video and article. Thanks.

Vince H

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
Karl,
What do you think of the looks after seeing the car in person? I have been thinking about order a new Viper, but I really want to see one in person to make sure. In your opinion does it look as good or better than the last design?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Karl,
What do you think of the looks after seeing the car in person? I have been thinking about order a new Viper, but I really want to see one in person to make sure. In your opinion does it look as good or better than the last design?

Not to jump in, but it is certainly better than GEN3-4 if that is what you mean. It is more like the Gen 2 GTS.

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
Thanks for your opinion. I am mainly looking for people that have seen the car in person. When I see it in photos the side view looks a little funny. I can't put a finger on what is wrong, but it looks odd from the door to the rear of the car to me. I am hoping that in person it looks better. I have owned 3 Vipers and if this one looks good in person it will be number 4.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have seen it in person; in fact, 4 of them so far. If you're Gen II GTS lover, you'll love this car. It's a retro to the GTS, but in today's fit and form. It has the rear end of the Gen III/IV, sides of the Gen II, including the quarter panel slats and the front end of a chiwawa's head (brutal) . I have a Gen IV roadster, which I love. There will never be a day where I would even consider buying a Gen V. As far as I'm concerned, it has lost all of its character and it's now truly ugly. I could care less that it's a hot performer and has 640 HP with gobs of TQ, or the new long needed 355 diff...and I'm sure that once again, it will eat just about anything on the track, but to me, it's plain ugly. Side view and front view are enough to churn my stomach. I'd say it looks better in pictures than in real life. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but that's my honest opinion.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have seen it in person; in fact, 4 of them so far. If you're Gen II GTS lover, you'll love this car. It's a retro to the GTS, but in today's fit and form. It has the rear end of the Gen III/IV, sides of the Gen II, including the quarter panel slats and the front end of a chiwawa's head (brutal) . I have a Gen IV roadster, which I love. There will never be a day where I would even consider buying a Gen V. As far as I'm concerned, it has lost all of its character and it's now truly ugly. I could care less that it's a hot performer and has 640 HP with gobs of TQ, or the new long needed 355 diff...and I'm sure that once again, it will eat just about anything on the track, but to me, it's plain ugly. Side view and front view are enough to churn my stomach. I'd say it looks better in pictures than in real life. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but that's my honest opinion.

That's what I said about the Gen3, but then ended up owning 4 between Gen 3 and 4. I have had multiples of every Gen and IMO opinion this blows all of them away , certainly in performance and , i think it looks. i suspect it my be close to my 458 in many respects. Never say never.:)

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
...and I as well have said that about a few cars in the past, and some even grew on me...but I am pretty sure, this one won't. No doubt, it will be a serious contender in the world of racing, maybe even a record breaker/ holder...and from what I read, It's got much more room now than ever before, as well as comfort, but even with that said, for me, it will not be in my garage. One of the things I've always loved about this car, was that crazy front end/ hood and lights and I don't think it ever got better than the Gen III/ IV for me. That was the character in this car for me. The Gen V loses all of that, in my eyes. The side slats now reversing direction back to the Gen II days, also don't work for me either. The car is too rounded now, much like the Gen I/ II's were.

When I look at a Gen I/ II as opposed to a Gen III/ IV, I think the II and III look really dated and I'd never buy one now. The III/ IV are where it's at for me. I just can't fathom wrapping my head around a Gen V...it will never work for me, in the looks department. I'd buy a Shelby GT 500 1st...and though I know we're not talking the same class of car at all, it's more appealing to me than a Gen V, today. I still love Vipers...they're still sexy beasts, even against a GT, albeit the GT is still the king.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I m guessing you meant Gen 1 and 2 look "really dated " ( not 2 and 3). For us old time Viper guys, when 3 came out , there was a revolt. Many thought it looked like an S2000 Honda, and there were costs saving associated with a conventional hood vs clamshell , which was considered heresy. Ultimately, dealers, many my friends, were left holding the bag.

But, the 3 and 4 were really odd cars that looked better in person than in photos. I have held onto one Gen 2, a 1992 I bought from Bob Lutz. ( VIN 0002) It is parked in the same garage as my 2010s. I have to say that even now it looks to me much more radical than my Gen 4s even though it drives like a tank. At 400HP, my Caddy V is faster.

Truth is Gen 5 better sell well (at $140K for GTS. ) Gen 3 and 4 s , great cars that they were, languished at dealers.

Poor Richard

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2012
New Jersey
Great test and review....thanks for sharing!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I'm just catching up here, but I would agree that the Gen III/IV cars never looked as good as the earlier cars. I still see too much Corvette in them (not that the Corvette is terrible looking, but I don't want to confuse a Viper with one!).

I think this latest Viper is very appealing in looks. The hood is clamshell again and the wider front track not only makes the car handle much better but also makes it look very balanced. The wide rear track of the previous Vipers gave them a cool look, too, but I think the balanced look of the latest version, combined with the finer details in the finishing quality of every body panel, makes the new Viper look far more advanced with a premium vibe. You really have to see the car in person and look closely at the body lines and panel edges. The panel gaps are tighter than before and the LED headlights and taillights finish it off perfectly.

The car is really a leap forward in every way. Add in the performance potential and it's a very cool alternative to the Corvette (though the new C7 might change that...). Given there's no Ford two-seat alternative right now it's basically Corvette or Viper if you want an American sports car. At least there's plenty of activity in this segment. By next year the new Viper and new Vette will be battling it out on the cover of every magazine (and on any website worth a damn, of couse :biggrin). Can't wait to execute that test!

Long live American performance!