2012 Mustang Cobra Jet Gets 430 HP

Paul Vincent

Oct 20, 2005
Can somebody make sense of this? Can the horsepower be correct? http://jalopnik.com/5701111/2012-mustang-cobra-jet-gets-aluminum-block-430-hp

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ford is sandbagging big time. I bet the Super Cobra Jet makes 850-900 rwhp. When I'm done with the modifications to my GT500, I expect to get about 700rwhp using a comparatively small 2.3L TVS blower and other bolt on mods on a STOCK long block. In comparison, the Cobra Jet engines are built to the hilt. There is talk of creating a special prototype class for these factory drag cars since they are beating up on all the other entrants in their current class.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Ford is sandbagging big time. I bet the Super Cobra Jet makes 850-900 rwhp. When I'm done with the modifications to my GT500, I expect to get about 700rwhp using a comparatively small 2.3L TVS blower and other bolt on mods on a STOCK long block. In comparison, the Cobra Jet engines are built to the hilt. There is talk of creating a special prototype class for these factory drag cars since they are beating up on all the other entrants in their current class.

that would make some sense. It states the 500hp CJ's are running 8 second 1/4's......lol it takes ALOT more than 500hp to get into the 8's.

Optional 4.0L Supercharger upgrade – M-6066-SCJ:

* MSRP: $9,995.00
* Step up to the most powerful combination in NHRA Super Stock. The 500hp 4.0L supercharged 2010 Cobra Jet has delivered mid-8 et's, Class champions, divisional race winners and national records all in its first year on track!
* Ford Racing offers their exclusive upgrade kit to the base 2012 Cobra Jet for the racer looking to perform at the highest levels of NHRA Super Stock Competition.
* Kit includes supercharger, billet throttle-body, complete inlet system with 140mm billet mass-air housing, installation instructions, and exclusive Ford Racing race-ready calibration.
* Final horsepower rating TBD, rating will differ from 500hp 2010 model.
* 4.0L Supercharger upgrade is delivered separately and must be installed by the end user.

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
The thing I don't understand is why are they underrating them? It's not like it's an insurance issue since these are pure track cars right?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The thing I don't understand is why are they underrating them? It's not like it's an insurance issue since these are pure track cars right?

Ford is taking advantage of the current NHRA rules for the Stock and Super Stock classes and the NHRA's reliance on the manufacturer's horsepower rating. Below is a link to a good article that discusses the current controversy over the new factory drag cars.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...-on-drag-pak-challenger-cobra-jet-controversy

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Super Cobra Jets are pure race track cars. They are shipped ready to run NHRA. They are NOT street legal - they have a serial number but not a VIN. In fact, you buy them from your Ford FRPP dealer's parts department. New car sales will shrug their shoulders and say "what's that?"

Conspicuously absent is almost all mandated safety equipment like air bags. They do have a roll bar and harnesses. Also missing are minor convenience items like windshield wipers. Some have extra weights that can be removed to go to the next class.

Like the GT500 and the Ford GT, the engine has capabilities well beyond it's stated specs.

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Ford is taking advantage of the current NHRA rules for the Stock and Super Stock classes and the NHRA's reliance on the manufacturer's horsepower rating. Below is a link to a good article that discusses the current controversy over the new factory drag cars.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...-on-drag-pak-challenger-cobra-jet-controversy

Thanks. I guess that makes sense if you're trying to sandbag the competition but by those times it's apparent they are way underrated!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Ford definithley plays with the horsepwoer numbers. FRPP advertises the CJ and SCJ crate engines at a stated horsepower however as a sanctioned racer, they will give you the software to increase the power dramatically. the all aluminum SCJ engine will achieve 900+ horsepower with the updated software. I don't ever remember Ford giving me software for my 68 1/2 cobra jet! LOL !!!