2012 GTR fails to beat ACR record at the Ring

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
That was posted at the other forum,but surprised with all the hype of the new GTR that it did not perform better....

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/24/...shaving-2-48-seconds-off-ring-time/#continued

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I know why having a fast time here is a big deal, but every time I see a time comparison between manufacturers I wonder about the variables in drivers, weather, tires etc.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I would have expected more from a car (GTR) that is AWD and highly tuned for the ring. If you ever watched the ACR ring video,the drive was like riding a bucking bull.....the ride on the GTR appears much smoother. The ACR run was slapped together with little preparatiion. With what they know about the ACR-X now, I believe the MY10 ACR could maybe improved on the previous record. But then that's what the Ring is about.....tempering driver, weather,tires through a teaming approach to beat the competition.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Those GTRs are really fabulous cars but the AWD probably slows down the lap times for a pro. There are many that say their professional driver would turn faster times if that GTR was just rwd. The AWD is a better platform for the masses - and why I would consider a GTR for myself. It is really not faster in the hands of an experienced driver. ACR vipers are incredibly fast but require top skills to extract the best performance. The regular joe is going to be able to get closer to the high end times a pro would in a GTR than an ACR. This is why GTRs get so much good press. It is also why so many people are suspect of Nissan's claims at he ring. Many independent drivers have tried to get GTRs close to the times Nissan post. These independent drivers are not even getting close, and they should be. Most of the other manufacturers have independent driver times somewhat close to the lap times the factories post. Porsche tried to point this out but it started to backfire because people (press) thought they were whining. So Porsche just went out with a purpose built 911 and set the bar higher. Not high enough for the ACR though.
This is also why I do not think Nissan was able to get the time much lower than they did even after camping out there for nearly two years. It became harder and harder for them to use a ringer car for posting times.
I am surely not trying to downplay what a great car the GTR is. I am seriously considering one for myself. I just think Nissan is a little overzealous in trying to market it.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I would have expected more from a car (GTR) that is AWD and highly tuned for the ring. If you ever watched the ACR ring video,the drive was like riding a bucking bull.....the ride on the GTR appears much smoother. The ACR run was slapped together with little preparatiion. With what they know about the ACR-X now, I believe the MY10 ACR could maybe improved on the previous record. But then that's what the Ring is about.....tempering driver, weather,tires through a teaming approach to beat the competition.

No matter what you car preference is it would be foolish to believe any manufacturer slaps anything together with little preparation for an assuault on the Ring or any other track for that matter. I own an ACR and I was following the test at the Ring when Chrysler took the ACR and ran the test, and they had one of the top Viper Racers in the world driving the car.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
........surprised with all the hype of the new GTR that it did not perform better....

Gentlemen,

In this old man's opinion, the problem with the GTR is not AWD or the ring time, it's that the GTR does not LOOK fast. It's tall and not exactly sexy. The GT1 GTR race cars look quite ungainly next to all other GT1 cars. Even the inside of the GTR looks tall & awkward. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my opinion is worth what you just paid for it, but it takes more than a hot lap time to move me. The GTR is more than fast enough, Nissan needs to concentrate on making it look the part.

Chip

H

HHGT

To understand the GTR one has to understand the Japanese culture.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
To understand the GTR one has to understand the Japanese culture.

Grasshopper, now that you have walked the rice paper - you may leave.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Wait a damn minute, doesn't he have to burn a BMW or Apple emblem into his forearms first?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Wait a damn minute, doesn't he have to burn a BMW or Apple emblem into his forearms first?

Ahhhh another student.

H

HHGT

Not fast enough!

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Not fast enough!

Master Kan: Perhaps the proper conclusion one can come to is not to come easily to conclusions.

H

HHGT

A magazine fast-reader is also a magazine racer

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
A magazine fast-reader is also a magazine racer

Not when they use footnotes.:biggrin

H

HHGT

Not when they use footnotes.:biggrin

Zen you are full of $h_t my friend...:willy:willy:willy :wink:wink:wink

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Zen you are full of $h_t my friend...:willy:willy:willy :wink:wink:wink

Rooster if you weren't a GT Forum brother, I'd say you're full of yourself.:chill:

H

HHGT

Rooster if you weren't a GT Forum brother, I'd say you're full of yourself.:chill:

I give up...You win...